Bad coaching bringing this team down

Cal

16 hours ago, Cal said:

We have the talent and the player comradery you need. McDermott is just to soft and it shows with all the penalties not to mention makes bone head decisions. Good coaches put a tall player back there like Belichick did with Gronkowski to knock the ball down. Poyer, Tre, etc got as high as they could not their fault. Wasn't enough.

We should of put Davis or Knox back there. Frazier has the d at the bottom of the league and Dabbol with his college plays are not aggressive enough. Its unfortunate.

This thread wins “worst take I’ve read all week”.

Thanks for the laugh.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Cal said:

We have the talent and the player comradery you need. McDermott is just to soft and it shows with all the penalties not to mention makes bone head decisions. Good coaches put a tall player back there like Belichick did with Gronkowski to knock the ball down. Poyer, Tre, etc got as high as they could not their fault. Wasn't enough.

We should of put Davis or Knox back there. Frazier has the d at the bottom of the league and Dabbol with his college plays are not aggressive enough. Its unfortunate.

I was surprised when we took the Time Out before the touchdown. I really would have let at least ten seconds run off the clock first. 

11 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

McD really is going to die on the hill of being too conservative isn’t he? His philosophy is great in so many aspects, but damn I’ve seen this too many times with too many franchises. I.e. Dan Quinn most recently with the Falcons. McD is a Dan Quinn clone. Good, but just not good enough. 

My man... you have a 23-9 lead in the 3rd quarter, all the momentum, and you go into a complete shell which allows AZ to finally find their grove and eek out a victory. 

Watching this guy coach on game day is overwhelmingly underwhelming. Time and time again this team gets leads and they lose them or come close to losing them in the second half. Will he ever learn? Play aggressive with a big lead for ONCE and see how it works out. 

Coaches seem to live and die with their philosophies and are too stubborn to change anything. McD is going to lose his window with this team just like Quinn did with Atlanta if he doesn’t adapt. 

You mean like the Seattle game? 

McDermott has already changed his philosophy. He went from pound the rock and maintain TOP and eek out 17-16 wins against teams starting third stringers to running the ball 10 times a game and letting his QB go out and throw the ball 35-40 times. 

He’s literally already adapted and done what 90% of this stupid message board has been crying about for 4 years and now 7-3 with a division lead isn’t good enough and the sky is falling. 

The attention span and critical thinking of the majority of people who post on here is embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

I think this is a very likely scenario especially if this team flounders and doesn't win the division this year, or heaven forbid even make the playoffs.

Either way his style of coaching is not sustainable and we keep hearing the same hollow platitudes week after week about how they need to score more points, execute their gameplan etc.

Either way will be interesting to see the pulse of Bills mafia if the Dolphins win the division this year because any window the Bills had will slam shut in a hurry given the Dolphins rise and all the money and draft picks in the first few rounds they have to get even better next year where the Bills will be heavily constrained because of all the poor moves they've made this past offseason.

Let’s be real... you’d like for them to miss the playoffs so you can say “I told you so” 

McDermott’s style of coaching isn’t sustainable yet he’s been here for 4 years now and is on pace to make the playoffs for a 3rd time?

Yet you’re banging the table for the job your boy Flores has done in Miami on the back on of ST and defensive touchdowns and THAT is sustainable? 

All of your posts are based on the premise that the Bills will collapse and under perform against inferior opponents... almost to the point that it’s a certainty... but then when it comes to the Dolphins it’s a certainty that they won’t collapse against inferior opponents and just as much of a certainty that they will beat superior opponents as well. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Murdox said:

You are probably correct.  The Dolphins play the Broncos, Jets, and Bengals next.  Talk about an easy three games.

And last four games ? Chiefs , Pats , Raiders, Bills 

They could easily be 2-4 in the division 

Edited by Putin

8 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You mean like the Seattle game? 

McDermott has already changed his philosophy. He went from pound the rock and maintain TOP and eek out 17-16 wins against teams starting third stringers to running the ball 10 times a game and letting his QB go out and throw the ball 35-40 times. 

He’s literally already adapted and done what 90% of this stupid message board has been crying about for 4 years and now 7-3 with a division lead isn’t good enough and the sky is falling. 

The attention span and critical thinking of the majority of people who post on here is embarrassing. 

Let’s be real... you’d like for them to miss the playoffs so you can say “I told you so” 

McDermott’s style of coaching isn’t sustainable yet he’s been here for 4 years now and is on pace to make the playoffs for a 3rd time?

Yet you’re banging the table for the job your boy Flores has done in Miami on the back on of ST and defensive touchdowns and THAT is sustainable? 

Reminds me of the 2018 bears vs. the 2019 bears. They were still a good defense in 2019, they just didn't score 6 TDs and lead the nfl in takeaways.  They were 1-5 in 2019 in games where they didnt record a takeaway.  

The 2018 bears could run the ball a bit better than they have the last 2 years which also helps.  But turnovers aren't a sustainable winning model.  

At the end of the day though - you want an offense that.. in a tie game, or down 3 or whatever - you feel like you can score and win.  Those are the teams that win playoff games.  

Edited by dneveu

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

It is remarkable the amount of poor insight a number of fans and folks on this board exhibit from week to week. If you've sat through, been tortured by and now survived the 20 years of lethargy, ineffectiveness and inexplicable mediocrity of coaching, then you would know that McDermott and this staff are one of the top three things to happen to this team in the last two decades. The other two, 1. Brandon Beane, 2. Josh Allen. Both of which were directly influenced by McDermott and the Pegulas' willingness to pay for coaches and talent in the front office. 

The culture shift has been dramatic and the fact that we are lamenting on a Monday morning after taking on the #1 rated Offense in the NFL, with COVID related absences and injuries impacting starting Offensive Line, #2 WR, and starting OLB, after a HAIL Mary despite a clutch and MVP type of throw to Diggs from Allen, shows you just how far this team has come because expectations are reasonably high. In years past this would be seen as the pinnacle of hope for this team and talk about "progress" as a team in terms of winning and how the organization is coming into the 21st century with their pass-heavy orientation toward Offense. But now, because this team has invested money and resources into both the Offensive and Defensive lines, traded for a quality #1 WR, developed most of their players they've Drafted, and poised themselves to take the AFC East - we get bent out of shape over a single, non-playoff, loss that wasn't even in Conference. That, tells you just how far this team and organization has come. 

McDermott has shown and admitted he continues to grow himself into a truly great NFL Head Coach, but the development of Josh Allen has been nothing short of amazing, the continuity on Defense and yes, they've had a down year but all Defenses have across the league (for a variety of reasons covered elsewhere), Special Teams has turned into a strength instead of a weakness and the Offense is on a record pace for the Bills. In other words: in all 3 phases of the game, this team is light years ahead of where they were 3 seasons ago and in some of the most crucial contemporary NFL areas such as QB development, scoring and clutch Offensive play - they are leading or near the top of the league. Also, the Defense continues to get incrementally better from week to week against quality opponents in generating turnovers, limiting opportunities and finding moments to support the win. Keep in mind this team just played two of the best Offenses in the NFL in back-to-back weeks and won the first game handedly, and except for a miracle would be 8-2 against what is widely considered the best Division in the NFL. In fact they would be 3-0 against the top three teams, but still are 2-1. That's coaching folks. 

Yes, they can get better, and I trust they will - but coaching changes the culture. Coaching takes the raw material of players and maximizes their abilities and impact. Coaching gets teams prepared to play. Coaching executes good decision making when it matters and by the record and overall production, in light of the NFL year amidst a pandemic and the scheduling challenge of the teams they've played, I'd say McDermott, Daboll, Frazier and Farwell and all of the assistant coaches have done an amazing job in their three years. 

Should we want and expect more? Absolutely. But that does NOT negate the job well done so far and that does not minimize the change that HAS occurred, it simply means the job isn't done. Until Lombardi's trophy is encased at One Bills Drive, the job isn't done - but on we go, and the path ahead looks bright. 

Pin this comment.  Nice work. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Leslie Frazier...  This guy should have been gone 2 years ago if it weren't for McDermott, calling the defense in the second half off the chargers game in week 2 McDermott might also be out of a job.  In the last 2 games if I told you that Josh Allen, and the bills offense would score 74 points what would you say?  And what if I told you the defense would give up in those two games 66 points what would you say.  If McDermott, does not take the play calling off of him I don't think we win the division.

6 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Leslie Frazier...  This guy should have been gone 2 years ago if it weren't for McDermott, calling the defense in the second half off the chargers game in week 2 McDermott might also be out of a job.  In the last 2 games if I told you that Josh Allen, and the bills offense would score 74 points what would you say?  And what if I told you the defense would give up in those two games 66 points what would you say.  If McDermott, does not take the play calling off of him I don't think we win the division.

You lost me when you failed to string together a proper sentence to begin your post. 

Edit: You’re referencing the Chargers game from two years ago? Why is that relevant to the current version of the Buffalo Bills over 32 games later? 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

***** no one said when our defense carried the team the last 2 years.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I thought you were going to say that the only way the Bills don’t win the division is if Miami wins more games than us. 

But on a more serious note Frazier is running McD’s defense, isn’t he?  If the play calling isn’t good or something else is wrong, then McD should be stepping in to fix it.

Edited by BarleyNY

Must admit that I am beginning to lose faith in Leslie.

From last year we have lost Star, Shaq and Jordan Phillips. We have gained Harry, Jefferson, Addison, Epanesa, Norman and Butler. On paper at least, I would argue that the difference in talent lost v talent acquired is negligible.

I recognise that COVID and injuries have played their part but it is still hard to justify the substantial drop in performance.

The buck stops with Leslie Frazier.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Must admit that I am beginning to lose faith in Leslie.

From last year we have lost Star, Shaq and Jordan Phillips. We have gained Harry, Jefferson, Addison, Epanesa, Norman and Butler. On paper, I would argue that the difference in talent lost v talent acquired is negligible.

I recognise that COVID and injuries have played their part but it is still hard to justify the substantial drop in performance.

The buck stops with Leslie Frazier.

Gotta factor in the schedule too we had a lot of bad qbs roll through last year.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Great take.  I am learning so much on this thread. 

Well they are going to the playoffs.  Enjoy the coaching that is taking us there!  LOL. 

I ' m not bummed.  Shoulda won but that's the way the cookie 🍪 crumbles sometimes.  I think McD is a fine coach.

But what you said is far from a certainty. There are 5 6-3 teams nipping at our heels.  We can't afford to lose another one like this.

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Gotta factor in the schedule too we had a lot of bad qbs roll through last year.

True.

But it's also a numbers game:

- 32 v Rams

- 28 v Fish

- 24 v Raiders

- 42 v Titans

- 26 v KC (in BAD weather)

- 21 v Pats (would likely have been 28 if Cam doesn't fumble)

- 34 v Hawks

- 32 v Cards

These are simply not "Playoff Calibre" numbers.

If I am McD, I am putting Frazier on notice.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

True.

But it's also a numbers game:

- 32 v Rams

- 28 v Fish

- 24 v Raiders

- 42 v Titans

- 26 v KC (in BAD weather)

- 21 v Pats (would likely have been 28 if Cam doesn't fumble)

- 34 v Hawks

- 32 v Cards

These are simply not "Playoff Calibre" numbers.

If I am McD, I am putting Frazier on notice.

Oh yea I wouldnt object to putting him on notice lol but eye test wise it seems like theyre hanging with top offensive talent better than we have in years past at least in the last couple games.  I'd have to go back into box scores from last year but just thinking about last season it seems like our defense made a living dismantling bad quarterbacks and didn't really show up for big games 

I wouldve had zero confidence wed hold this years cardinals and Seahawks and rams under 35 points if we played them last year lol thats why that loss last night was such a shame going 3-0 against those three teams in insanely impressive and something we never would've even dreamed of in recent years

• Like (+1) 1