Jim Kubiak: How Bills QB Josh Allen figured out Patriots' amoeba defense

HappyDays

What also should be said is that Daboll said at some point after the game that they practiced just TWO - 2! - pass plays all week!! So, basically went in with no passing work leading up to the Patriots game and if it weren't for Diggs (his admission, not my inference to the fact) breaking toward the sideline as opposed to toward the hash, Allen likely doesn't have a turnover in that game. Meaning, he played within the designed game plan, managed passing in certain places without trying to play hero ball.

Add in the ghost penalty that negated Gabriel Davis' TD and you have a tight, and modest game that was won exactly how the Bills designed it. That ladies and gentlemen, is the key for Josh. He can snipe it from 40 yards out, scramble for 1st downs and TDs and make all the throws, but it's when he's asked to "manage" the game, take what the Defense gives him and NOT rely on his talent alone that has been his undoing. So to see him play within the designed plan and scheme and control the outcome of the Offense by NOT making the mistakes - real growth as others have said and the article points out. Love to see it!

EDIT: As someone pointed out, for inexcusable reasons I mixed up the Gabriel Davis ghost penalty resulting in taking a TD off the board (Jets game) with his drop of the pass in the end zone against the Pats*; my mistake and appreciate the correction from fellow board mates.

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 9

15 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

What also should be said is that Daboll said at some point after the game that they practiced just TWO - 2! - pass plays all week!! So, basically went in with no passing work leading up to the Patriots game and if it weren't for Diggs (his admission, not my inference to the fact) breaking toward the sideline as opposed to toward the hash, Allen likely doesn't have a turnover in that game. Meaning, he played within the designed game plan, managed passing in certain places without trying to play hero ball.

Add in the ghost penalty that negated Gabriel Davis' TD and you have a tight, and modest game that was won exactly how the Bills designed it. That ladies and gentlemen, is the key for Josh. He can snipe it from 40 yards out, scramble for 1st downs and TDs and make all the throws, but it's when he asked to "manage" the game, take what the Defense gives him and NOT rely on his talent alone that has been his undoing. So to see him play within the designed plan and scheme and control the outcome of the Offense by NOT making the mistakes - real growth as others have said and the article points out. Love to see it!

Am I having a brain malfunction or wasn’t the Davis non-TD the previous game??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Add in the ghost penalty that negated Gabriel Davis' TD and you have a tight, and modest game that was won exactly how the Bills designed it. That ladies and gentlemen, is the key for Josh. He can snipe it from 40 yards out, scramble for 1st downs and TDs and make all the throws, but it's when he asked to "manage" the game, take what the Defense gives him and NOT rely on his talent alone that has been his undoing. So to see him play within the designed plan and scheme and control the outcome of the Offense by NOT making the mistakes - real growth as others have said and the article points out. Love to see it!

It still feels like every Patriots game has 1 or 2 ghost penalties that negate a TD. Its what makes the Patriots game so enjoyable.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Am I having a brain malfunction or wasn’t the Davis non-TD the previous game??

40 minutes ago, Philo said:

You are correct, that was the NYJ game. The Davis dropped TD was NE though. 

You are correct, I'm sorry....that is true and no real justification for screwing that up....an unfortunate consistency of Davis being on the crap end of the stick, but definitely all on me for mixing those two up. Thank you both for correcting it - the point stands, but thank you for the clarification.

7 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah seemed like the Pats D wasn't in 3 pt stances very much. They were all standing around the LOS trying to confuse him. The 1 INT was just he and Diggs not being on the same page. Not big numbers from Allen but I thought he did pretty solid.

If diggs turns to his left instead of his right its a 1st down completion.

44 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Other than that 1 miscommunication he played extremely well. The numbers weren't there simply because the running game was so effective.

And it seemed like he justifiably checked to runs on 1st and 2nd downs when they had numbers in alignment.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a great read:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-bills-qb-josh-allen-figured-out-patriots-amoeba-defense/article_1bb4c490-1d5d-11eb-ac9a-3f927b40a7e6.html

I recommend reading his entire breakdown if you have the time. It includes some all-22 footage. His conclusions:

Seems like Belichick did everything he could to confuse Allen and Allen didn't take the bait. Really good signs of progress here.

Agree on the great read.  Kubiak is one of my go-to reads each week.

IMO, though, we should not under-rate the progress shown by Daboll.  Unlike the Eagles game, where Daboll sent Allen out to win a game with a pass-heavy game plan in nasty weather conditions, this week they came out with a good game plan for the nasty weather and well-designed plays for the run, and the team executed.  Unlike previous Pats games where Daboll expected Allen to decode the Patriots nasty confusing pass defense and carry the team, this week Daboll said " 'lil Buddy, this week it's not all on you."  And unlike some previous games, Allen came out prepared to follow the plan from the start and "do what it takes", which is also a coaching thing.

If interested in a breakdown of some of the run plays, Eric Wood does some on "Chopping Wood":

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/chopping-wood-bills-defense-grounds-the-jets

Erik Turner says he won't be able to break down all-22 of Allen this week but does a nice overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwd6uHO8Hmc

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a great read:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-bills-qb-josh-allen-figured-out-patriots-amoeba-defense/article_1bb4c490-1d5d-11eb-ac9a-3f927b40a7e6.html

I recommend reading his entire breakdown if you have the time. It includes some all-22 footage. His conclusions:

Seems like Belichick did everything he could to confuse Allen and Allen didn't take the bait. Really good signs of progress here.

Paywall.... can’t read

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

But Thad said it was his worst game of the year 

Fad Brown has no clue what he’s talking about