Jim Kubiak: How Bills QB Josh Allen figured out Patriots' amoeba defense

HappyDays

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I guess this is a good thing.

But how does the offense get back to 30-points again if Allen is succeeding within the confines of a zone defense?

If all it takes is a zone defense to take Allen from 300 yards to 190, then do we really care that it’s an efficient 190?

Well, in the Jets game, we had 2 TD that weren't (Turf Monster and Davis call-back for penalty).  Those 2 plays would matter less if we'd just gotten a few more while we were down in the red zone.  You could tell in the Monday presser after the game that Daboll was frustrated with some of the decisions Josh had made in those areas, so "better decision making and more consistent zone reads" are part of the development process.

The other missing piece was the run game.  If we can maintain a decent run game, and are able to gnaw off 5 ypc and 3 TD the way we did against the Patriots, teams got to come out of that soft zone and do something about our run game.

And that should re-open the chance for some of the deep shots.

The S factor (for shoulder): The team doesn't want to talk about it, and Allen certainly doesn't want to use it as an excuse but FWIW Bangedupbills thought the shoulder injury and the brace were interfering with Josh's throwing motion in the Tenn and the KC game.  It was observed Allen actually took the brace off in the 4th Q of the KC game, during which he completed 5 of 6 passes + a DPI on the 6th.  So there may be something to that.

It would be nice if Gabe Davis could rediscover the sure hands he had early in the season.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Did you read the article?

The article is conjecture. 11 completions cannot simply be explained away. 

The people who use the most amount of words are always hiding things. I'm still happy we scored 24 points against a defense with almost half the starters out of the game. 

Russell Wilson is what a great QB looks like against the Pats, and the 49ers looked like with a great running attack looks like against them. 

I'm happy for the win. Both the coaches and Allen could have been better. 

9 hours ago, BillsToast said:

The article is conjecture. 11 completions cannot simply be explained away. 

The people who use the most amount of words are always hiding things. I'm still happy we scored 24 points against a defense with almost half the starters out of the game. 

Russell Wilson is what a great QB looks like against the Pats, and the 49ers looked like with a great running attack looks like against them. 

I'm happy for the win. Both the coaches and Allen could have been better. 

How many times did he throw the ball?  What were the weather conditions?

On 11/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stop.  That was a bad game for Allen. He has improved so much this year (more than I ever expected) but to try and say that was anything more than a meh game is so disingenuous.  That was a JV Pats defense without like 5 starters including the DPOY.

we won but it would be nice if some fans could be objective.  The Bills lose that game to any non bad team.  At this point of his career, it’s actually insulting to say that wasn’t a bad game.  He has set the bar much higher so let’s stop treating him like he is still a rookie from Wyoming. 

Really disagree with this. That INT was not Allen's fault and Davis dropped an easy TD.