Why does McDermott clap so much?

Cal

14 minutes ago, Cal said:

It's kind of frustrating seeing him always clapping and rarely firing up the players. He was even clapping after a missed field goal. If we keep playing they way we are, we may make the playoffs but won't compete.

You’re frustrating 

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

This is an odd statement.  It's the coach's job to do whatever helps his team win.  That includes holding effective meetings and practices, building a good culture, intelligent game-planning and play-calling... and firing players up.

I get these guys are well payed and should motivate themselves.  But listening to players talk over the years (I've been a Bills for 50 years now), it's clear that some players are not good at getting themselves fired up.  

Most of the best coaches in this sport are focused on coaching the game, not wasting their attention on firing people up.

If a guy can't bring it without somebody in his ear, he doesn't belong here.

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Incidentally, you should read up on the "Pygmalion Effect."  In short, it says that when an authority figure (say a teacher or coach) shows belief in someone, they tend to perform better.  Beane with his clapping and encouragements keeps sending the message: I believe in you.  It's a good message.  

I agree with this in full and have no problem whatsoever with him clapping and staying positive with guys.

It's probably just habit at this point. They say he's the same dude day in and day out, win or lose, he's always a real steady Eddie. He has a naturally positive disposition. He works to keep the players in a positive mindset in the face of pressure and especially when things aren't going well. It can be easy for a player to get in their own head if they screw up. McDermott is the type of coach to say, "Hey, you're better than that, chin up, get 'em next time" as opposed to an old school, hard-@$$ type of coach who might just yell at the dude and bench him. He has a lot of good qualities not just as a coach but as a leader. 

Nothing like clapping to get the mojo working and raise the positive vibrations.

Also good for circulation and endorphin production. It even facilitates the opening of the pineal gland giving conscious access to the collective unconcious, the universal mind. Good stuff.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Positive reinforcement - it's literally a human equivalent to training an animal with a clicker and treats. This is doubled by negative reinforcement where if you do something and don't see him clap. This allows you to easily note displeasure with performance without being a jackass (see Rex Ryan and John Gruden). It's also easy to incorporate and easy to "read" from the players.

I do this as a coach - although for me I'm all facial expressions. My athletes know when I'm upset by their performance, compared to happy about it, and also when their poor or good results are not directly due to their effort or output. Also if I yell it means they did something good and need to stop before doing something bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Cal said:

It's kind of frustrating seeing him always clapping and rarely firing up the players. He was even clapping after a missed field goal. If we keep playing they way we are, we may make the playoffs but won't compete.

He claps to annoy fans who need something to be annoyed on otherwise they do not feel as part of fandom.  Gratz he is doing it for you.

3 hours ago, Cal said:

seriously?

Just take a second and think of reasons why he might be clapping. You will probably be right.  It's actually pretty easy to figure out.

3 hours ago, Lfod said:

Do you think he claps after a good meal at a restaurant or a good movie at the theater? What other situations can you imagine him awkwardly clapping? 

"That was a real good poop, man. Real good poop. This what we talk about every week, man. It's hard to poop in the NFL. You earned it today. Playoff caliber, man."

• Like (+1) 1