Pretty shocking stat I just heard on Michael Kay Show

JerseyBills

10 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely.  

It sounds crazy but my expectation is SB or bust. 

I feel once you get in the dance you have a shot and can this team win 3 straight to make SB? 4vstraight for SB? Yes. I feel we're talented enough and have a shot at it. Maybe not the week 5 version but it's very early.  

Unless Beane makes some seriously magical roster moves, no way a rational fan can think this team is a SB or bust team. Winning our first playoff game in a quarter century is in now way a busted season. We are still a few pieces away. And I say that assuming Josh continues his overall improvement and doesn't regress or become stagnant in his growth. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not to pile on, but here’s a YouTube of the last playoff game we ever won...

(12/30/95)

Thank you. That was a pleasure to watch. Never knew this or watched. I really got heavy into Buffalo in 06, cause my age. I watched many 90s games on youtube but never this one! 

Right off the bat - Marv Levy is 8-0 in playoff games here in Buffalo

Wow!

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

disagree, this is the rookie window we are wasting. You have a franchise QB in the 3rd year of his rookie deal, so we spend big money in Free Agency and trades to put as much talent around his as possible in order to compete for a title. Once his rookie deal is up, you can't spend in another position, even thought most of the free agents we signed are playing below replacement level and we could probably get the same production from UDFA.

You're not replying to him. He correctly pointed out that virtually nobody thought that we would be a contender this year during the offseason. It was really only after the first couple of games and seeing how Allen looked that that narrative became common. Go back and look and find, say, six pundits who predict the Bills in the Super Bowl. You will have to spend a long time looking. It wasn't considered likely. Plenty of Bills fans hoped so, but few with any sense of neutrality predicted it.

Yeah, the rookie window is passing. It will last two more years, assuming they sign him up for that fifth year option. Right now we don't appear to be good enough. Maybe next year or the year after, though I have my doubts about next year with our cap situation.

And your last few sentence is serious exaggeration. I hear the disappointment, though.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wait...what??  They were/are considered favorites to win the Division.  Would that not make them contenders?

Is this a joke?

Contenders for the playoffs, yes. Contenders for the Super Bowl, no. Not before the season when the last look we had at Allen was the playoff game.

Same situation now. Contenders for the playoffs? Yeah, a very good chance. Contenders for the Super Bowl? Not likely at this point, though if things fall just right and we play quite a bit better than we've looked recently and the offense figures out how to play small ball against the stop the big plays defenses we'll see for the foreseeable future, it shouldn't be absolutely ruled out.

14 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Its not an overaction at all. Its statistically improbable how inept we have been and we’ve seen too many John McCargos, Torell Troups, JP Losmans, Trent Edwards, TJ Grahams, etc to not think that the guys we high hopes for are all busts. This was suppose to be the year we were contenders and were no where near ready

Worth remembering that according to people like Kyle Williams and many others, in his second training camp, Torell Troup had become an absolute monster and looked to be a terrific pick. Then the back injury and the team's rushing him back to play and the re-injury essentially making him an old man before his time, though he'd been very healthy and missed almost no games in college.

He could have been a very very good one.

IMO they mishandled Losman too. But your point stands. A lot of poor drafting and poor handling over the years.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're not replying to him. He correctly pointed out that virtually nobody thought that we would be a contender this year during the offseason. It was really only after the first couple of games and seeing how Allen looked that that narrative became common. Go back and look and find, say, six pundits who predict the Bills in the Super Bowl. You will have to spend a long time looking. It wasn't considered likely. Plenty of Bills fans hoped so, but few with any sense of neutrality predicted it.

Yeah, the rookie window is passing. It will last two more years, assuming they sign him up for that fifth year option. Right now we don't appear to be good enough. Maybe next year or the year after, though I have my doubts about next year with our cap situation.

And your last few sentence is serious exaggeration. I hear the disappointment, though.

I thought we were the third most likely AFC Superbowl representative but quite a bit below KC and Baltimore. I has us at 5th as of right now. Tennessee and Pittsburgh are more likely IMO.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I thought we were the third most likely AFC Superbowl representative but quite a bit below KC and Baltimore. I has us at 5th as of right now. Tennessee and Pittsburgh are more likely IMO.

Before the season? Or after the first few games? A lot of people had us as third-most likely after seeing Allen come out of the gate like that. Many many fewer before the season started.

And yeah, fifth or sixth in the AFC right now seems very reasonable. But unless we get a lot better that won't make us a serious contender for the Super Bowl IMO.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Before the season? Or after the first few games? A lot of people had us as third-most likely after seeing Allen come out of the gate like that. Many many fewer before the season started.

And yeah, fifth or sixth in the AFC right now seems very reasonable. But unless we get a lot better that won't make us a serious contender for the Super Bowl IMO.

When they were 4-0, specifically.  No one anywhere with any football sense thought they were contenders for the SB?

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Before the season.

14 hours ago, gobills404 said:

For anyone wondering, the other 5 teams are the Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, Lions, and Redskins.

Technically the Browns won a SB ;)

The franchise was relocated only the name was left behind ;)

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm driving home , I live in NYC area so I flip on the Kay show and a caller brings up Dallas, blames Jerry Jones. 

Long story short, Don La Greca hates Jones and they're going back n forth and La Greca says the Cowboys are 1 of 8 teams to not make a Championship Game since 1996. 

I quickly do the math and I'm shocked that 75% of the NFL has been to an AFC or NFC title game since 96 and of course Buffalo is 1 of 8 teams that hasn't.  Also mentioned Texans being a team that hasn't but they started up in 02. 

Just thought that was unbelievable.  I'd have never guessed that 75% has been to a title game in 23 years. 

My point, aside from being shocked ,as most of you know,  is we are starved for success and that's definitely one of the reasons we tend to overreact.  

Thats why we jump through tables.....we crave the attention ;)

14 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Its not an overaction at all. Its statistically improbable how inept we have been and we’ve seen too many John McCargos, Torell Troups, JP Losmans, Trent Edwards, TJ Grahams, etc to not think that the guys we high hopes for are all busts. This was suppose to be the year we were contenders and were no where near ready

Yet.....there is still 2/3rd of the season left to fix the leaky boat.

With the defenses these guys have put on the field the last few years there is no reason to think they can't get it done....I suggest throwing 4m prorated at Lorax to bring stability it would be about 2.5m in reality for 12 games and playoffs. 

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Thanks. If you asked me prior to hearing this, I would have  said in the 50% range, maybe 40% . Just thinking how dominant NE was for 2 decades , would have never thought it'd be 75%

So is it 6 or 8 teams who have not been to a championship game?

I don't find this shocking at all, it's what I know having lived through it.  In fact we are not bottom 25%, its worse than that.  The Bills have not won a playoff game in 25 years nor had a home playoff game!  The Bills did not make the playoffs for like 20 years (remember "the drought")....forget a championship game, they have been among the leagues chumps since I graduated college and moved to New England.  A place where their team goes to the AFC championship game more than half the years.   A place where people are fatiqued of watching their team in a divisional playoff game and willing try to sell the tickets off.   A place where winning a playoff game is expected sort of like the sun coming up...the only question is if they will win the SB in any given year.  A great QB and coach can lead to long term sustained success.   Hopefully that is what we have brewing and we can beat those #######s in two weeks.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It doesn’t matter what the pundits nationally said or think. It matters whats happening in Buffalo and this is our shot

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sounds right. It is simultaneously unsurprising and disappointing (from a Bills perspective) how the Steelers continuously bounce back from poor seasons while Bills have spent 25 years attempting to climb out of mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

Yet.....there is still 2/3rd of the season left to fix the leaky boat.

With the defenses these guys have put on the field the last few years there is no reason to think they can't get it done....I suggest throwing 4m prorated at Lorax to bring stability it would be about 2.5m in reality for 12 games and playoffs. 

The guys that performed on the defenses the last few years, aren’t on the team & We don’t have that kind if cap room to bring someone in at that price, we spent it on used Panthers

Edited by uticaclub

16 hours ago, DallasMac said:

Tj was before Wilson.  Troupe was before Gronkowski. 

Re Graham -  a few years ago I saw something on ESPN where Seattle was talking about the Wilson pick. The guy was describing how in the Seattle war room their heads were hanging low when Buffalo traded up because it was known that they liked Wilson. Then there was jubilation with the Graham pick because they felt if Wilson went past that pick he would fall to Seattle. Hated reliving that one.

Re Troupe - Funny (funny ironic not funny haha) how teams shied away from Gronk because of a college back injury and Troupe's career never took off because of his back.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Imagine how the other team's fans feel when they see them listed with the Bills :D

No kidding....sad.  I mean to be lumped in with the Lions in particular is just awful.....the last NFC championship game they played in was 1991 - that would have been some SB - Bills against the Lions - the battle for Lake Erie....their last championship was 1957!!!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm driving home , I live in NYC area so I flip on the Kay show and a caller brings up Dallas, blames Jerry Jones. 

Long story short, Don La Greca hates Jones and they're going back n forth and La Greca says the Cowboys are 1 of 8 teams to not make a Championship Game since 1996. 

I quickly do the math and I'm shocked that 75% of the NFL has been to an AFC or NFC title game since 96 and of course Buffalo is 1 of 8 teams that hasn't.  Also mentioned Texans being a team that hasn't but they started up in 02. 

Just thought that was unbelievable.  I'd have never guessed that 75% has been to a title game in 23 years. 

My point, aside from being shocked ,as most of you know,  is we are starved for success and that's definitely one of the reasons we tend to overreact.  

That's really interesting.  I kept wrestling with it in my head, and then I realized that what's going on here is cherry picking the data.  It all depends what period you pick.  

Go back to the year the Kelly teams first want to the AFC championship.  Start with that year, and I'm sure the Bills are ABOVE average for championship game appearances.  How about Super Bowl appearances in the last 30 years?   Way above average.  

Yes, we're still some on a pretty bad streak.  But we're stuck in it because all of the Bills' successful years came in a tight bunch.  

19 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not to pile on, but here’s a YouTube of the last playoff game we ever won...

(12/30/95)

Thanks for posting this.   I'd forgotten how good a receiver Tasker was when pressed into service that year at WR.   This was a fun game to watch again!

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Before the season.

Fair enough. Right now it looks like you were a bit overoptimistic.

Before the season I thought it most likely that they'd make the playoffs, probably win the division (though when the Pats got Cam, I thought the odds of that dropped) but not be a serious SB contender. If pinned down I might have guessed #4 - 6 in the AFC.

I didn't expect Allen to be nearly as good as he is, or for the defense to be this bad.

• Like (+1) 1

Cowboys fan shoots TV after loss to Cardinals 🙂

A video posted by Daniel Cisneros on Facebook shows a fan in a Dak Prescott jersey breaking a TV with what appears to be a beer can, punching it multiple times, then pulling out a pistol and firing several rounds into it. 

It's not just the fans who were upset, as players also sounded off on the coaching staff. Anonymous Cowboys told NFL network that the coaches are "totally unprepared" and "just aren't good at their jobs."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cowboys-fan-shoots-tv-after-loss-to-cardinals

On 10/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, uticaclub said:

Oof.  TJ graham.  A deep threat who cant track the ball and catch it over his shoulder. 

32 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Oof.  TJ graham.  A deep threat who cant track the ball and catch it over his shoulder. 

and we traded up to get him instead of Russ. He reminds be for current defensive lineman that can't rush the passer or stand up to stuff to run