Imagine TBD Circa 1992 After These Two Games

Like A Mofo

Lol if we dominated teams like that Bills team did in the first 4 games no one would really be worried 

but we didn’t, 3 games in a row coming down to an onside kick. Our defense couldn’t stop the dolphins or rams offenses and barely stopped Carr and the raiders 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

I was on a Bills message board on the "prodigy" software. Let me tell you these hot takes remind me of those days. There were a lot of Levy threads

Levy is/was overrated.  Very talented roster and never won it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

image.thumb.png.b113d3f9dcb3f3a9f693483f54cd56d4.png

Here are some threads I could envision at that time:

* Jim Kelly is not the answer at QB start Reich!

* Marv Levy is overrated, maybe look to the college ranks and bring in an elite coach like Barry Switzer

* Thurman might not be as good as we thought, might be time to usher in Kenneth Davis?

* Miami has taken over the division, our time is up
* Marino is more accurate then Kelly

* DL is trash, might be time to switch to a 4-3?

Thank you, hopefully this lends some perspective for some of the loudest on here....

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

* Marv Levy is overrated, maybe look to the college ranks and bring in an elite coach like Barry Switzer

* Thurman might not be as good as we thought, might be time to usher in Kenneth Davis?

Plenty of people back then wanted Reich over Kelly and some on here still defend that position. People forget how Reich's poor play led to the Houston deficit and how lucky they were to win that game despite Reich (missed INT by Houston LB went right though his hands and Beebe stepping out of bounds and coming back into filed of play to catch a TD)

I am firmly in the camp that Levy was terribly overrated and should not be in the HOF.  He was outcoached in all 4 SuperBowls.  

Thurman is my favorite player of all time.  I was always upset they didn't let him the TDs in the red-zone.  I also felt Robb Riddick was better than Kenneth Davis but I'm too lazy to look up the stats. 

Miami was always a bit of a threat but Shula deferred to Marino and stuck with Olivedotti for too long.

Marino was a far better passer than Kelly.  In this era Marino would be a perennial MVP candidate.  Was he a better QB? That is debatable. Kelly brought so much more to the offense than just his arm.

Bruce was a superstar, Hanson was underrated.  They probably stuck with the 3-4 too long with an undersized NT.  It was the linebackers that were overrated, especially Talley but Conlan to a degree as well.  

The vibe couldnt have been more different. We had a team of all stars in 1992. We had high expectations of them because they should have already won a SB. So losing any game was unacceptable. I can remember both of those losses. I was pretty steamed because I thought both LA and Miami were crap pretenders in the AFC.

5 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

While I understand, and absolutely agree with, your main point... Either of these may have actually won us a Super Bowl.

Especially the first one.

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Levy is/was overrated.  Very talented roster and never won it.  

Juuuuuuust a smidge too soft. If all he did differently was implement and enforce a curfew the week before the Super Bowl, like every other team, we probably win SB25.

4 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

Not to give credence to the "fire everyone" mantra, but the Bills at that point were coming off their second Super Bowl appearance. I'm generally happy with the HC and front office since they took over, but they should win a playoff game first at least before we start using these analogies.

Do me a favor and Google the 1989 Bills Season and/or "Bickering Bills"....

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

difference is the Bills were coming off a trip to the Super Bowl, and had defeated an elite team on San Fran earlier in the year.  This team has done nothing.  

There was a point where earlier versions of that Bills team stumbled, and the reaction was similar.

1989, for example, after we went to a conference championship and lost it in 1988.  Late in the season we hit a 3 game L skid to teams we should have beaten and wound up losing a WC game.

Well, I won't bore you with the details but it's a point there were internet bulletin boards on the web, newsgroups, AOL, etc etc and it wasn't pretty.

No, no, it surely was not pretty.  And then sports radios...call in shows... oh My My

38 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

We all needed some humor today haha

Always pleased to oblige!

Q: Why didn't the sun go to college?

A: It already has thousands of degrees

@Simon

6 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Posts like this just seem like a way for people to vent their frustrations about the team playing badly on something other than the team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

I never understand these comparisons.

Whether you were a fan alive for the good old days or not, this team had two straight SB appearances and truly dominant playoffs on both sides of the ball.

And they had a coach that actually won playoff games and could blow out teams instead of hanging around in the 4th quarter in close games seemingly every single week.

Thanks for the reasonable take. I’ve been a huge fan of what Beane and McD have done here, but this team isn’t a proven entity. We don’t know who McD really is as a coach, we don’t know what Josh Allen is, and we have yet to see a real contender. Fans know we have a playoff team, but most reasonable people are now looking to see if this team can make the next step. Getting blown out the past few years in every big test doesn’t make some of us feel confident. 

10 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I guess if we also have to imagine the Bills had not just gone to 2 SBs and had 8 Pro Bowlers on the roster....

On 10/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, Like A Mofo said:

That's pretty much what it sounded like when fans called into WGR back then. Just ask Artie baby boo boo. 

On 10/20/2020 at 12:52 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

I was on a Bills message board on the "prodigy" software in the 90's. Let me tell you these hot takes remind me of those days. There were a lot of Levy threads

now that you mention this board, it reminded me of ¨Hyperbills¨ bulletin board, in the late 90s, which I think turned / morphed into billsdaily.com, bu I am no tsure, any one who knows more of the family tree of community boards, can chime in?  please

On 10/20/2020 at 11:53 AM, Like A Mofo said:

Maybe if we beat 3 of the teams this year a combined 119-14 we wouldn't have any questions.

Edited by matter2003

On 10/20/2020 at 8:53 AM, Like A Mofo said:

All of this existed back then.  It was just on the radio call in shows as opposed to online.  And it was just as exasperating.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:53 PM, RyanC883 said:

difference is the Bills were coming off a trip to the Super Bowl, and had defeated an elite team on San Fran earlier in the year.  This team has done nothing.  

This. It was considered an upset when those teams lost, and the go-to excuse back then was that the team partied too much the night before (and that was not far from the truth sometimes).