Dolphins name Tua Tagovailoa starting QB going forward

YoloinOhio

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Preparing to win the division in 2021

This isn’t going to play well with their veterans...and it’s potentially setting themselves up for disaster if he doesn’t play well. It won’t be long (assuming he doesn’t light it up) before fans (and some players) start calling for Fitz. You really don’t want to be in the position of having to bench the young franchise QB for a cowboy like Fitz.

Let him play himself out of the job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

With the Phins one game out of the division lead and Fitzpatrick playing well, this is mind blowingly stupid. Maybe it works and I eat crow, but right now they have to like their odds of making the playoffs.

Right. Memories of Nathan Peterman getting the start over Tyrod in 2017.

Of course Tua is no Peterman -- he was the consensus #1 pick before he got hurt, not some random 5th rounder. But still.

This is Fitzy's reward for racking up the points last week, allowing Tua to come in for garbage time, thereby (somehow) knocking him out of the starting job. I can't imagine this going over well in the locker room.

Good news for the Bills, as I assume (hope?) a Tua-QB'd Dolphins will struggle more than a Fitzy-led team right now. But I may be wrong ...

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

They didn’t convert on 3rd down for most of all of the game Sunday against a crap defense, and havent between any good teams yet  so maybe they think Tua can be better against good teams 

That makes some sense - and they have a bye week to get an extra week of practice so... likely its now or never. 

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Right. Memories of Nathan Peterman getting the start over Tyrod in 2017.

Of course Tua is no Peterman -- he was the consensus #1 pick before he got hurt, not some random 5th rounder. But still.

This is Fitzy's reward for racking up the points last week, allowing Tua to come in for garbage time, thereby (somehow) knocking him out of the starting job. I can't imagine this going over well in the locker room.

Good news for the Bills, as I assume (hope?) a Tua-QB'd Dolphins will struggle more than a Fitzy-led team right now. But I may be wrong ...

I thought of that comparison but Tyrod wasn’t playing well in addition to the other differences you cited 

If they think he can do better than Fitz going forward, pull it.

Looks like the coach wanted to wait to see a good enough team on the field to feel better about putting Tua out there?

Idk, one game behind the Bills. Id stick with Fitz, nobody would blame them for keeping Fitz at this point.

Not sure this is the smartest move for overall team morale/chemistry. Fitz was playing well and the offense was fighting it’s ass off for him. The defense was playing hard every snap too. They’ve been in every game. I could see if Fitz was struggling, but I feel like this move is hard to justify to the team if you want them to be,I’ve their goal is to try and win every game this season. 

I’ll be interested to see how they respond as a team.

1 minute ago, BillsSbSoon said:

It must have been their plan all along and they are sticking to it on their bye week

I think that’s likely the case. I think it’s probably more about when Tua was ready and they think he’s ready now and making the move despite what Fitz has done. It’s a calculated and ballsy move imo, because presents risk given they are coming off of two big wins (at least points wise) 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Wow! That is really a surprise to me.

Fitzy was having a really good season. Why not let the kid learn while you can and put him in when Fitz inevitably cools off? This could be a real mistake if Tua has some rookie struggles.

Fitz played like crap against the Jets. Couldn’t convert a third down until Tua stepped in. It’s obvious fitz is running off fumes, he’s at the end

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

Confused by the move from Miami's standpoint. Like the move from the Bills perspective. Also hoping we can bring back Fitz to be QB2 behind Allen next year and maybe this helps that happen...

We are a solid QB2 and a speed RB, two guards, a TE, and a defensive line away from being the best team in the league. Easy! 😁

This reminds me of the 2004 NY Giants.  They had rookie QB Eli Manning and veteran Kurt Warner.  Warner started the 1st 9 games.  The Giants were 5-4 and put the ball into Eli's hands.  Now the difference is it was later in the season & the Giants had just lost 2 straight after starting the season 5-2 with Warner.  The Giants wanted Eli to get real game experience even though he wasn't ready and as Warner proved in Arizona, he had plenty left in him.  Eli lost the next 6 games before winning the finale, looking totally lost until his 5th start, where he finally showed flashes of being an NFL QB.   

It looks like Miami is more interested in the future than this season, just like the Giants were in 2004.