Dolphins name Tua Tagovailoa starting QB going forward

YoloinOhio

This is a bit of a head scratcher. 

Devil’s advocate here. If youre the GM you likely went into this year fully expecting Tua to get a bunch of games under his belt. An added bonus of Tua getting games under his belt was that Fitz probably struggled and you won a handful of games so you were landing a top 10-15 pick for next season. No expectations to win this year. Life is good. Next year things really start progressing. 

But now the Dolphins are 3-3 and Fitz is playing out of his mind. If the Fins win a couple more games and are at .500 or above .500 halfway through the season when “in the hunt” for playoff graphics start popping up, can you really justify to a fanbase that youre gonna bench Fitz? Itll be that much harder to do that. So instead youre forced to play Fitz, Tua loses about half a year of progression, and youre likely not landing a top 10 pick next season. As GM your entire “plan” is pushed back a year. 

now, i admit this is highly skeptical of me, but something smells FISHY 😂🤣

Edited by bobobonators

27 Jim Kelly+ 35,467 1986-1996 buf
28 Jay Cutler 35,133 2006-2017 3TM
29 Jim Everett 34,837 1986-1997 3TM
30 Jim Hart 34,665 1966-1984 2TM
31 Ryan Fitzpatrick 34,421 2005-2020 

Right when Fitz was on the verge of breaking into the top 30 career passing leaders and had Jim Kelly in range. 

While you can make a case that Miami is "in the hunt" for the playoffs, reality is that KC, Balt., Pitt., Tenn., Buffalo probably are going to be 5 of 7, leaving Patriots, Raiders, Cleveland, Indy as most likely filling out remaining 2 slots. I'd take all of them over Miami so while at 3-3 they are in the playoff race, you know the bad Fitz is right around the corner. 

44 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

First game against Donald he will be injured in the first quarter. The cycle will them complete. 

In seriousness I thought they would ride Fitz. It does make some sense to get their future some reps but right now? 

A key part of the cycle is Fitz looks good and then gets paid. Miami hasn't paid him!

• Haha (+1) 1

I disagree with this move.  If Fitz was struggling, I would agree it was time to make the switch, but they are in the hunt and having a very respectable season.  They are building towards something (which isn't good for the Bills, but good for them) and developing confidence, learning how to win, etc.  If they sneak into the playoffs with Fitz, great, and you build on that.  Once Fitz starts playing badly, or if you are mathematically eliminated from the race, then you go with Tua.  This decision could cause dissention in the locker room and derail the progress they are building.  I suppose, on the other hand, if Tua plays well, this could turn our to be the right move.  Time will tell.

I agree with the others that the bye week was probably the plan all along.

Seems like a good plan and with Miami having a lot of top picks next draft it's probably wise to see what Tua does both good and bad.

It could weigh heavy in draft selections.

Tua also has a chance of playing some good ball so why wait.  Fitz is a UFA next season too.

It seemed inevitable and obviously Fitz is the type of guy to cheer it, but it just doesn't make much sense at 3-3 with the division in reach. Fitz has been great. Wait until you're under .500 at least. Hopefully this works in the Bills favor.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they must have been getting a lot of pressure to do this with Herbert and Burrow out there playing so well. 

Maybe they always planned to make the change at the bye week?

That's been talked about ad nauseum on the radio down here.  Their bye was initially week 11.   They were supposed to play the Jest week 10, which depending on their record, was believed that be either Fitz's last or Tua's first start - then the bye and then the Jest again week 12 which would absolutely be Tua's first start.

I understand getting him a couple of snaps and then the "new" bye week to prepare but I don't understand them making the switch when they are 1 game out of a playoff spot.

33 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Bold statement considering how impossible it is to predict QBs. Unless you deduced this from the handful of average looking passes he threw in the Jets game. 

theres a reason Miami made the change now. because they know. i think our window is now i believe in Josh Allen but miami will be force for the next few years

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

With the Phins one game out of the division lead and Fitzpatrick playing well, this is mind blowingly stupid. Maybe it works and I eat crow, but right now they have to like their odds of making the playoffs.

you will be eating crow.  Tua is the real deal.   They are setting up for next season.   Their team is pretty good and the kid won't get beat up bc you can't catch him.   His accuracy is unbelievable.  He will be better than Josh for sure, and I think Josh is really good.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

That's been talked about ad nauseum on the radio down here.  Their bye was initially week 11.   They were supposed to play the Jest week 10, which depending on their record, was believed that be either Fitz's last or Tua's first start - then the bye and then the Jest again week 12 which would absolutely be Tua's first start.

I understand getting him a couple of snaps and then the "new" bye week to prepare but I don't understand them making the switch when they are 1 game out of a playoff spot.

They know they aren’t going anywhere with Fitz. Makes sense to make the move if the kid is ready.

6 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

looking at their schedule (3-3).

Rams, @Cards, Chargers - I think you want to get TUA up to speed and come out of that 1-2.

then they have a chance to go on a run.

@Broncos, @Jets, Bengals - 3-0 should be the goal.

7-5

Then 

Chiefs, Patriots, @Raiders, @Bills - 2-2 here.

9-7 should get it down for 7th Seed.

5 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

looking at their schedule (3-3).

Rams, @Cards, Chargers - I think you want to get TUA up to speed and come out of that 1-2.

then they have a chance to go on a run.

@Broncos, @Jets, Bengals - 3-0 should be the goal.

7-5

Then 

Chiefs, Patriots, @Raiders, @Bills - 2-2 here.

9-7 should get it down for 7th Seed.

With Lock back they won't beat the Broncos, likely. And the Bengals have been playing teams tough. That's kit a gimmee.

No way they go 2-2 against the Chiefs, Patriots, Raiders, and Bills. Maybe they get 1 of those. Likely none.

7 wins for them.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

With Lock back they won't beat the Broncos, likely. And the Bengals have been playing teams tough. That's kit a gimmee.

No way they go 2-2 against the Chiefs, Patriots, Raiders, and Bills. Maybe they get 1 of those. Likely none.

7 wins for them.

What are the raiders or Patriots good teams suddenly?  Lol.

i mean if Miami can paste the GOAT in Miami they can handle Newton.

as for Buffalo...I just assumed Buffalo be resting their starters with the division locked up.

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

What are the raiders or Patriots good teams suddenly?  Lol.

i mean if Miami can paste the GOAT in Miami they can handle Newton.

as for Buffalo...I just assumed Buffalo be resting their starters with the division locked up.

Is Miami a good team suddenly? Raiders and Patriots are better than them.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is stupid.  The Fins are playing better than what most people thought and why rush Tua after coming back from a major injury?  

I know he won’t, but if I was Fitz, I’d ask to be traded.  It’s be hard to find a starting job but if I was a playoff team, I’d take Fitz in a second.  He’s a borderline top 20 qb and that would be awesome insurance.

Fitz did exactly what the wanted him to do, get them to 500 at their bye. The division is wide open. It's only a matter of time before Fitzmagic turns into Fitztragic. Put the kid in and see if he can play, I think the Dolphins could really go on a run with a guy like Tua, their defense gets better every game. 

Edited by uticaclub

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They know they aren’t going anywhere with Fitz. Makes sense to make the move if the kid is ready.

If he is anywhere near ready you got to go with him.  Pursuing a playoff spot with Fitz is "fools gold".

Although I'm not a huge Chan Gailey fan one thing he can do is give a decent game plan for a young inexperienced QB.

I will repeat myself.  Without getting a good look at Tua GM Grier doesn't know what offensive players to pursue with his multiple top picks

in the draft.  They need to build the O around Tua.

The worse thing that could happen is Miami wins a bunch of games with Fitz, misses the playoffs (which would probably happen) and lowers their draft ranking.

If they sneak into the playoffs as the 7th seed with Fitz they probably got to go on the road against KC or PIT.  That would go well.  LOL.

Their future is Tua not Fitz.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not sure this is the smartest move for overall team morale/chemistry. Fitz was playing well and the offense was fighting it’s ass off for him. The defense was playing hard every snap too. They’ve been in every game. I could see if Fitz was struggling, but I feel like this move is hard to justify to the team if you want them to be,I’ve their goal is to try and win every game this season. 

I’ll be interested to see how they respond as a team.

I’m hoping they respond by losing the rest of their games this year since they are right behind us. Curious move. I would have never made it. Risking losing the veterans over this if they start losing. 

• Like (+1) 1