Dolphins name Tua Tagovailoa starting QB going forward

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Fitz played like crap against the Jets. Couldn’t convert a third down until Tua stepped in. It’s obvious fitz is running off fumes, he’s at the end

The game was 24-0 on ice when Tua stepped in. What in God's name are you thinking?

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

This is a bit of a head scratcher. 

Devil’s advocate here. If youre the GM you likely went into this year fully expecting Tua to get a bunch of games under his belt. An added bonus of Tua getting games under his belt was that Fitz probably struggled and you won a handful of games so you were landing a top 10-15 pick for next season. No expectations to win this year. Life is good. Next year things really start progressing. 

But now the Dolphins are 3-3 and Fitz is playing out of his mind. If the Fins win a couple more games and are at .500 or above .500 halfway through the season when “in the hunt” for playoff graphics start popping up, can you really justify to a fanbase that youre gonna bench Fitz? Itll be that much harder to do that. So instead youre forced to play Fitz, Tua loses about half a year of progression, and youre likely not landing a top 10 pick next season. As GM your entire “plan” is pushed back a year. 

now, i admit this is highly skeptical of me, but something smells FISHY 😂🤣

However, they are lucky enough to own Houston’s first and second round picks. Which is surely going to be top 10 and likely top 5. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know people hate PFF and especially Sam Monson, but he had an interesting twitter thread about how Fitz's quick release game is covering up some some very shaky offensive line play. He's one of the quickest-releasing qbs in the league this year, and Tua will not be that guy. I think there's something to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I know people hate PFF and especially Sam Monson, but he had an interesting twitter thread about how Fitz's quick release game is covering up some some very shaky offensive line play. He's one of the quickest-releasing qbs in the league this year, and Tua will not be that guy. I think there's something to that. 

Their OL is quite bad on paper. I could see that. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has more ints than TDs

Yeah, Fitz is a roller coaster. The Dolphins are fine to get their rookie some snaps. Although, I'm surprised they didn't let him sit and learn longer.

Unless they have been really impressed with Tua in practice and think he gives them a better shot.

They're doing it with their eye on the future. They know they will not compete for the post season, don't let their recent minor success fool you. This way they improve their own draft position while getting two of Houston's picks as well. They could very well have 3 picks in the Top 10-15 range. Can you imagine what they can do with that capital along with a aggressive free agency? Woof!!! 

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Forget PFF, NextGen has the data:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Fitz is 3rd in the league in TTT...

Tua must be looking awfully good in practice. Really hard to imagine that he is ready, but the coaches see something. Gailey wont fo away from Fitz without good reason. 

This may be the end for Fitz.  I'd be pretty discouraged if I were he.  Maybe Gailey convinces him to come back next year to mentor Tua from the bench. 

Love it if he would replace Barkley. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, Fitz is a roller coaster. The Dolphins are fine to get their rookie some snaps. Although, I'm surprised they didn't let him sit and learn longer.

Unless they have been really impressed with Tua in practice and think he gives them a better shot.

I love fitz but he's just gonna keep you at 7-9

Let the rookie get some experience, it'll help in the long run because they aren't going anywhere

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I really don't understand this decision at all. I completely get the fact that Tua was going to start at some point, but Fitz has been dealing and the team is now winning, in part because the Offense and team rally around Fitz as a terrific leader on and off the field. Now, you're changing mid-stream without justification.

I think Flores has done a strong job thus far in turning that Titanic of a crap-show around in just a year's worth of time, but this to me - wreaks of horrific timing.

If the Dolphins were 0-6 like the Jets or if the Defense was spectacular and Fitzy was throwing 2-3 INTs a game and NOT putting up points, again I could see it....but Fitz has NOT been the issue in those losses for the most part and put an absolute pasting on the 49ers when virtually nobody gave them a chance. 

I just think this is a really bad decision and I honestly do feel for Fitzy. Great guy, great teammate, average QB skills but gamer and ballsy all day long, and good man from what can be seen from a fan's perspective....oh, and he had the mic drop line of the night when he ROASTED Doug Whaley. 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

WTF are they doing?

Good question.    Aren't they ahead of the Pats*** ?

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Completes a couple short passes against the Jests in garbage time and voila

:lol:

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Gotta feel for Fitz :( . Having a solid year so far.

I agree.  

I don’t know why they don’t wait til Fitz loses to put Tua in for the rest of the year.  Lose two and Tua’s you’re man.  Fitz keeps winning and just keep him in there.  I’m happy for Tua, but why go up on you’re first start to the Rams.  They are a legitimate playoff team, potentially a wildcard to Seattle’s division winner.

KC did Mahomes a favor by holding off until close to the end of the year.

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

you will be eating crow.  Tua is the real deal.   They are setting up for next season.   Their team is pretty good and the kid won't get beat up bc you can't catch him.   His accuracy is unbelievable.  He will be better than Josh for sure, and I think Josh is really good.  

You know this because you heavily scouted Tua in college?   We havent exactly seen  a lot of Tua in the NFL.  He may look very different on the field .   Very bold to be saying he is the real deal at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not really that surprised- I believe this was the plan and the reason Fitz’s family was in the box at the last game.

With no preseason - Tua was not ready at the start.  Give Fitz to the bye- so the team is up to speed and then give Tua the 2 weeks to get ready and move forward.

The Dolphins are not worried about this season - this is about getting the team ready for 2021 and beyond.

Good call by a staff that feels safe in their environment and can look ahead and prepare.

I think prior to COVID schedule changes - this move was slated for later in the season.  I think the change to their bye week and the fact that Tua and Fitz will run very different offenses meant they want the bye week to plan, set-up and teach the new plans.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This is my guess as well. This was likely planned all along, otherwise the timing seems very odd.  I really hope Fitz knew ahead of time.  

I think he was aware - his family was given a box by the Dolphins.  I am pretty sure this was their plan and sticking to it takes guts. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shades of RW telling Wade to play RJ at what became the MCM. 

Not a football decision and I suspect ordered from on-high by management.  With Florida permitting fan attendance, Fitz ain't moving the needle in fan excitement even though he's played fairly well.