Lorax discusses Tremaine Edmunds

YoloinOhio

Imagine thinking you know more about linebacker play and what's best for Edmunds and this defense than Sean McDermott, Leslie Frazier, and Lorenzo Alexander.

The arrogance/silliness of some of the people on this forum, man...

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

This is a completely out of left field take.... the “hate” has nothing to do with his draft spot. If anything the constant shouting down from fans to other fans criticizing his play is due to his draft spot. 

What? I don’t understand what you are trying to say. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

This is getting close to midway through his 3rd season, hardly day one. His play has been very poor compared to last season, it's impossible to deny that.

He has been hurt with a shoulder injury. Main part of the body someone tackles with and engages blockers. I was referring to the fact that since day one people have been critical of him. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would strongly encourage you and everyone else to watch the cover1 piece @BurpleBull posted above and read @Buffalo716 comments on our scheme predictibility in the Frazier's Gotta Be Fired thread which actually has a bunch of decent football discussion despite the crap title.

There just may be a case to be made for the role of predictable play calling in Edwards play dropping off.

It should also be noted the significant turnover on the DL and at LB (Lorax). 

Point is with poor results, it can be hard to isolate why the results are poor.

I've mentioned in other posts the significant turnover on the defense. But the eyes don't lie, it's not like everyone on this site isn't seeing the same thing.  We all see him not shedding blocks, not in position... not making plays.

And you know it's Edmunds, not Edwards, right?

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What? I don’t understand what you are trying to say. 

He has been hurt with a shoulder injury. Main part of the body someone tackles with and engages blockers. I was referring to the fact that since day one people have been critical of him. 

Do we know for a fact his shoulder is hindering his performance? If so, that certainly is significant, let's see what happens the next few weeks.

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He actually did a decent job on his run fits on Thursday. He was kinda selling out for the run though and that may have been the gameplan but it hurt us in the play action game. And that is what killed us Tuesday. 

I don't think they knew AJ Brown would be active until gameday. My guess is they game planned under the assumption Tennessee would be down their top 3 WRs. So they sold out to stop the run and didn't prepare for him.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoever this is analyzing for Cover1 (Erik?) seems to concur with @Buffalo716 comments about the Bills having become too predictable in what plays/coverages they are using for the same down and distance.

Maybe because of the injuries to the LB position and the new defensive front that hasn't jelled yet? 

Keep it simple and try to play fast until continuity builds? 

It seems from what I've been reading and watching that may be the case.  Either way it better get fixed ASAP, this schedule does not get easier. 

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

I've mentioned in other posts the significant turnover on the defense. But the eyes don't lie, it's not like everyone on this site isn't seeing the same thing.  We all see him not shedding blocks, not in position... not making plays.

And you know it's Edmunds, not Edwards, right?

Do we know for a fact his shoulder is hindering his performance? If so, that certainly is significant, let's see what happens the next few weeks.

I just watched the break down of film that was suggested, and I suggest it too.  

The eyes can be deceiving. 

This Dline better get it together. Frazier wasn't kidding with the stuff he said in his press conference. 

Can someone please explain to me why a shoulder injury seems to be affecting his foot speed?

I’m not even talking about instincts or hands or getting off of blocks - even when he reads the play quickly and correctly and is freed up to make the tackle, his sideline to sideline speed seems down from where it has been in the past.  He is getting straight up outrun by slower human beings.  I am flummoxed.  Does he have a lower body injury as well that we don’t know about?  If you told me he had a bum shoulder AND a bad knee or ankle, what I’ve been seeing would make more sense.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Can someone please explain to me why a shoulder injury seems to be affecting his foot speed?

I’m not even talking about instincts or hands or getting off of blocks - even when he reads the play quickly and correctly and is freed up to make the tackle, his sideline to sideline speed seems down from where it has been in the past.  He is getting straight up outrun by slower human beings.  I am flummoxed.  Does he have a lower body injury as well that we don’t know about?  If you told me he had a bum shoulder AND a bad knee or ankle, what I’ve been seeing would make more sense.

He got outrun by Derek f'ing Carr, something is not right.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would strongly encourage you and everyone else to watch the cover1 piece @BurpleBull posted above and read @Buffalo716 comments on our scheme predictibility in the Frazier's Gotta Be Fired thread which actually has a bunch of decent football discussion despite the crap title.

There just may be a case to be made for the role of predictable play calling in Edwards play dropping off.

It should also be noted the significant turnover on the DL and at LB (Lorax). 

Point is with poor results, it can be hard to isolate why the results are poor.

Simms made similar comments in a game review a couple weeks ago, 'on 1st down the offense knows they're in cover 3. Against a 2x2 set, the offense knows they're in palms (coverage).'

It's up to McDermott to self scout, add wrinkles and break tendencies. We see offensive coaches forced to do this and grow from it, Sean McVay a good example.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

If he’s that hurt, he shouldn’t be playing.  Get better and then let me judge him as a potential bust 

That's not how most players think. If they can play and it won't hurt them permanently they want to play.

And in this case the coaches think that even a hurt Edmunds is better than his replacement, healthy. They're not concerned with helping fans judge things. And I don't think they're, even to the slightest degree, concerned with him being a potential bust.

He was very good last year. No reason to think that he won't be that good or better when healthy, though as always other things affect outcomes in extremely complex systems like these.

I don't know how many of you remember Ray Lewis' mid-career slump. He was pretty much the best in the league for seven or eight years, then suddenly he appeared pretty average for two or three years, then he was terrific again for pretty much the rest of his  career. And it was so weird and coincidental that when big Tony Siragusa was in front of him, he was sensational, when Siragusa retired he was average and when they drafted Ngata he was instantly terrific again. Even good LBs have a terrible time filling holes that contain OLs coming straight at them.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If that depiction bothers you then think of it more like Lorax just ran a play-action fake and a bunch of you are now left holding your ***** at the LOS.    Where he wants you.

Lorax is a pro.   He knows that a majority of the fan base can be neutralized with a little sales job.

When it comes to MLB play Lorax is telling you that he is "trying"...........but much like the RB position that it mirrors MLB is about what you "do"........and the reasons why some can't "do" are less quantifiable than just saying "the film says he's going in the right direction!".     

I love it when some internet dude explains how when an expert says something, because it disagrees with what the dude thinks, the expert must be saying the opposite of what he really means.

And it always ends up with the dude summing up by saying, roughly, "See? He's saying 'Yes,' which clearly means 'no,' and when you look at it in this way, the expert's total disagreement with me clearly shows how right I am."

It always says more about the internet dude than it does about the expert.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's been pretty sheltered from criticism for two years.   But eventually when you don't produce fans will start to wonder why.  What bothers me more than his lack of production at MLB is that they have wasted his potential on the outside.   This guy should be coming off the edge and using his length to create turnovers.  

Yeah, when you don't produce, fans will wonder.

But for two years, Edmunds absolutely has produced. He's played MLB very well on a near-elite defense. He's played very very capably indeed.

Yeah he's had problems with the shoulder injury, no question. And if that continues on and on, questions should be asked. But there's no particular reason to think it will in fact continue.

God, the takes get awful here after bad games. All the "I know way better than McDermott" folks come out.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1