Lorax discusses Tremaine Edmunds

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I hope those 2 plays aren’t the best arguments in support of Edmunds having a good game.  One play I vividly remember was a short yardage play where it almost appeared Edmunds thought #75 on the Titans had the ball and the RB who actually had the ball was nowhere near and easily got the 1st down.  We all want him to play well, not sure how anybody could say he played well on Tuesday, but that was pretty much the case for the whole team.  To my untrained eye, Hughes was the worst player on the field.  

Go ahead and show the clip

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I hope those 2 plays aren’t the best arguments in support of Edmunds having a good game.  One play I vividly remember was a short yardage play where it almost appeared Edmunds thought #75 on the Titans had the ball and the RB who actually had the ball was nowhere near and easily got the 1st down.  We all want him to play well, not sure how anybody could say he played well on Tuesday, but that was pretty much the case for the whole team.  To my untrained eye, Hughes was the worst player on the field.  

I'd say taron johnson was the worst player on the field.  3rd and 20 in man coverage with kalif raymond.  

D-line play is hard to diagnose to me.  If a player loses the edge it may be by design, you never really know.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it’s the same “fans”, that think Sammy and Dareus should still be here, Allen stinks and always Will, Sean and Beane are idiots, Frazier should be fired, along with Daboll, Dodson or Milano should be MLB, Phillips is the missing link for Run D, Star stinks, White faked his back injury and who generally only speak up around here after losses..  yeah clueless, curmudgeons, different Jerry Sullivan burner accounts...  I won’t pretend to understand why it happens 

Just a few more:

Dion Dawkins should be moved to guard.

Jordan Poyer sucked in Cleveland and will suck here too.

Cole Beasley kinda sucks.

We got the wrong Josh.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'd say taron johnson was the worst player on the field.  3rd and 20 in man coverage with kalif raymond.  

D-line play is hard to diagnose to me.  If a player loses the edge it may be by design, you never really know.

99 is the weak link right now

I expect a significant dline adjustment over the next couple games

2 hours ago, MJS said:

That's what I hope. I hope it isn't that the scheme has been figured out at a fundamental level. Let's hope they get it figured out.

The scheme itself is fine

Their play calling within it has become very predictable.  They've had a lot of success the last 3 years, so they really haven't had to change much

Other coaches have looked at their film and have finally figured out how to attack its play calling. because the bills are very predictable on first and third Downs now

They just need to switch up the play calling a bit and become less predictable and things should smooth out

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Taron J has been bad since about week 2. I would play cam lewis in the slot . Taron isn’t bad vs the run but he cannot cover 

Edited by YoloinOhio

if Edmunds is hurt then why the hell is he playing and why hasn't the front office made a trade for a suitable replacement? 

seems like very poor planning from them with the depth at the LB position. he clearly isn't healthy enough to be playing out there if he has to avoid tackling a certain way 

16 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Playing downhill?....he lost me on that comment.  

Yes.  Because your opinion carries more weight than Lorax.

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

if Edmunds is hurt then why the hell is he playing and why hasn't the front office made a trade for a suitable replacement? 

seems like very poor planning from them with the depth at the LB position. he clearly isn't healthy enough to be playing out there if he has to avoid tackling a certain way 

LBs for this scheme are not easy to find.

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just a few more:

Dion Dawkins should be moved to guard.

Jordan Poyer sucked in Cleveland and will suck here too.

Cole Beasley kinda sucks.

We got the wrong Josh.

And another...

Oliver does nothing on defense 

😂

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The scheme itself is fine

Their play calling within it has become very predictable.  They've had a lot of success the last 3 years, so they really haven't had to change much

Other coaches have looked at their film and have finally figured out how to attack its play calling. because the bills are very predictable on first and third Downs now

They just need to switch up the play calling a bit and become less predictable and things should smooth out

Yes because they couldn't figure it out when he was in Carolina but somehow in Buffalo they have finally figured it out.😉

6 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Really???

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Here he is stacking Lewan...maybe the nastiest LT in the game

In that first play, you immediately see Poyer fly to spot, and Edmunds doesn't even take a scrape step, meaning he's not looking for the last defenders hip, as a target. 

So that's gap assignment for Edmunds, and contain responsibility for the safety. He deserves credit here for avoiding the block and making the play with force, but you give just as much credit to the scheme in this instance. It's why you play it. Edmunds isn't wasting time trying to figure out which gap to fill. 

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Taron J has been bad since about week 2. I would play cam lewis in the slot . Taron isn’t bad vs the run but he cannot cover 

Not a great way to describe a corner back

Edited by appoo

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

In that first play, you immediately see Poyer fly to spot, and Edmunds doesn't even take a scrape step, meaning he's not looking for the last defenders hip, as a target. 

So that's gap assignment for Edmunds, and contain responsibility for the safety. He deserves credit here for avoiding the block and making the play with force, but you give just as much credit to the scheme in this instance. It's why you play it. Edmunds isn't wasting time trying to figure out which gap to fill. 

Then consider that without DTs who can win 1v1 offenses are immediately getting a guard or tackle into second level on Edmunds

Btw the 2nd play in that clip is a reflection of why play action is such a weapon. Edmunds didn't trust that was going to be a run until he saw the RB with the ball, rather he was probably thinking play action pass, and by then Lewan was already on him. And if Edmunds doesn't shed Lewan, that's probably a 10-15 yard run, even more if he makes Poyer miss

Didn't check the Frasier thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned there - but since there's still a cohort with their Edmunds pitchforks still sharpened, Joe B put a segment of the  Athletic's All22 in about Edmunds today:

On a night full of defensive shortcomings, the performances of linebackers Tremaine Edmunds and Tyrel Dodson were promising. I was wrong in my initial observations of Edmunds’ play Tuesday, though some of the criticisms do hold up. The film, as it often does, told a different story. Edmunds looked the most confident and decisive that he has since his return from the injury. He wasn’t missing tackles as he was before. He became more of a force in coverage and was getting away from blocks more effectively than he was in the previous two games. The block shedding has been a problem for much of Edmunds’ career, but it’s been worse since his injury. Thankfully, the shoulder injury seems to be healing. If Edmunds can return to form and Matt Milano can get back on the field, the Bills will be trending in the right direction at linebacker.

Dodson was also a pleasant surprise Tuesday. He continued to struggle in some pass coverage areas, but it was quite an improvement from his performance against the Dolphins. The second-year player must have self-scouted over the past few weeks because he slowed his game down and didn’t go for nearly as many play-action fakes as he did in Week 2. He also showed he’s a more dependable option than A.J. Klein to fill in for Edmunds or Milano at linebacker. Klein will continue to be an option in base defense as a strongside linebacker because of his strengths against the run, but it’s not surprising Dodson passed Klein by in the Bills’ nickel formations with just two linebackers.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

For what it's worth in relation to the above, he and the DL (specifically anyone who isn't Hughes) got the most flack - honestly need to watch myself to see, but from Tuesday most of what's said here seems to line up:

An early-season trend has become an outright disappointment for the Bills. Opposing offenses have found someone to pick on in nickel cornerback Taron Johnson, the Bills’ fourth-round pick in 2018. In man-to-man coverage, which the Bills play sometimes when blitzing, he is a liability. He hesitates at the beginning of the route, immediately loses ground and doesn’t have the pure athleticism to catch up to the receiver before the ball gets delivered. He also tends to grab when he feels like the opponent has beaten him and has gotten away with some penalties this season. Even in contested catch situations, Johnson doesn’t break up passes nearly often enough. Johnson’s vulnerabilities in coverage, along with the poor play of Josh Norman, led to many easy opportunities for Tannehill to get the ball out of his hand quickly. The pass rush deserves a lot of the blame, but the secondary was also part of the problem.

And Johnson has not improved as the Bills hoped he would. The Bills have seen slot receivers routinely win their routes against him, and he remains one of the biggest reasons why the Bills’ defense hasn’t been able to get off the field quickly enough. The Bills must do something to salvage their struggling secondary. They should consider one of two options. First, see if Cam Lewis can provide better coverage at nickel. That’s where Lewis fits best in their defense and they’ve liked the progress he’s made. If not that, the Bills should consider trading for a nickel cornerback. The position usually doesn’t command a high cost due to its value.

The player who stands out above the rest is Desmond King of the Los Angeles Chargers. King is a proven performer and is on the last year of his rookie contract, which would make a trade more palatable for Bills GM Brandon Beane. Even if the answer isn’t Lewis or King, the Bills should take the pressure off Johnson and let him focus on special teams for a bit.

Not claiming Joe B to be the definitive voice on this of course, but seems relevant to these ongoing discussions. It's clear the defense has some issues this year, I think far more variables affected them Tuesday than prior, but everyone notices it including the coaches. The difference is we don't have near the collective knowledge or inside info they do, and it seems the majority of us here think we know better. Lorax isn't some Edmunds sympathizer - he understands that our defense does not actually have an MLB and Edmunds and Milano very much have similar roles. He isn't going to outright criticize him either, but what he is saying isn't baseless - a lot of the criticisms that focus on this aspect are however.

I do agree with the criticisms in coverage playcalls, and hiding coverages - but I have to wonder how much of the playcall coverages are due to the personnel we have left to play. Without Milano and White Tuesday (again have to check) we ran a lot of the same base coverage to relieve our replacements, and our DL yet again did nothing to help us outside of Jerry. I'm more interested to see how they play the Chiefs this week if healthy, and more so the Pats in three weeks. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Then consider that without DTs who can win 1v1 offenses are immediately getting a guard or tackle into second level on Edmunds

That was the center who got to Edmunds in this play, and that's just something Edmunds has to win in this defense (I mean he's faster so that's a match up you like if you're McDermot/Frazier), but they're not going to be happy with Quenton Jefferson for the reason you point out. He took the path of least resistance, in such a manner that it gave him no shot at getting to the RB, but also easily freed up the RG to ALMOST reach Edmunds in the 2nd level as well. He needs to go under the guard, take the hit, rather then slide in behind, and basically out of the play.