Lorax discusses Tremaine Edmunds

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I love it when some internet dude explains how when an expert says something, because it disagrees with what the dude thinks, the expert must be saying the opposite of what he really means.

And it always ends up with the dude summing up by saying, roughly, "See? He's saying 'Yes,' which clearly means 'no,' and when you look at it in this way, the expert's total disagreement with me clearly shows how right I am."

It always says more about the internet dude than it does about the expert.

Yeah, when you don't produce, fans will wonder.

But for two years, Edmunds absolutely has produced. He's played MLB very well on a near-elite defense. He's played very very capably indeed.

Yeah he's had problems with the shoulder injury, no question. And if that continues on and on, questions should be asked. But there's no particular reason to think it will in fact continue.

God, the takes get awful here after bad games. All the "I know way better than McDermott" folks come out.

1) Lorax is an internet dude now.   He also gets paid to make guest appearances on radio and has a close, mentor-teacher relationship with the player he is being asked to critique.   If you are expecting his unobjective opinion then you are naive.  Now if Edmunds was some dude on some other team I am sure Lorax would tell you about the importance of instincts for a linebacker.   But since Edmunds lacks them.........its not a point of discussion.

2) I contest the notion that Edmunds absolutely has produced.   Preston fricken' Brown lead the NFL in tackles in this defense in 2017.  It's designed to create plays for the MLB to make.  That's why they invested so much in acquiring Edmunds relative to where the league typically values that position.  Edmunds has greatly underachieved statistically as a result of his lack of instincts for the position. 

23 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yes because they couldn't figure it out when he was in Carolina but somehow in Buffalo they have finally figured it out.😉

Really???

It's wasn't totally McDermott's scheme. It was McDermott and Rivera

McDermott and Frazier have completely different play calling tendencies and tweaked their own scheme which coaches have figured out how to attack

The tendencies are known. When teams when know you will run plays , it's easier to call plays to counter them

4 years with the same combination leaves lots of clues to what your doing

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

That was the center who got to Edmunds in this play, and that's just something Edmunds has to win in this defense (I mean he's faster so that's a match up you like if you're McDermot/Frazier), but they're not going to be happy with Quenton Jefferson for the reason you point out. He took the path of least resistance, in such a manner that it gave him no shot at getting to the RB, but also easily freed up the RG to ALMOST reach Edmunds in the 2nd level as well. He needs to go under the guard, take the hit, rather then slide in behind, and basically out of the play.  

I mean not for nothing but H Phillips is in over his head on both plays as well

he is a liability

56 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Huh?  That’s on Edmunds side.  He’s unblocked, is the first guy with a chance to hit Henry and inexplicably peels off towards the O-Lineman.  

If you are actually interested in assignments vis a vis that play in particular this will be instructive

Edmunds gets to his gap immediately, clears pulling G for Klein...who is for some reason coming in directly behind Edmunds and off balance. 

In your mind this is Edmunds' fault...which is why knowing what you are looking at is really important

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If you are actually interested in assignments vis a vis that play in particular this will be instructive

Edmunds gets to his gap immediately, clears pulling G for Klein...who is for some reason coming in directly behind Edmunds and off balance. 

In your mind this is Edmunds' fault...which is why knowing what you are looking at is really important

The pulling guard goes straight for Jefferson.  This is what people mean by bad instincts.  Even if the pulling guard is Edmunds assignment, a more instinctive player recognizes he has a straight path to the ball carrier and makes the stop in the backfield for minus 2 yards.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The pulling guard goes straight for Jefferson.  This is what people mean by bad instincts.  Even if the pulling guard is Edmunds assignment, a more instinctive player recognizes he has a straight path to the ball carrier and makes the stop in the backfield for minus 2 yards.  

No. You don’t understand our LB assignments. His job is to fit for run there, second LB is tasked w ball

If run was to the other side, roles reversed

I mean do you think 1/11 is just lip service...they talk about it all the time. There are specific roles in this defense and just because Edmunds doesn’t ‘look’ like he’s doing anything to you just means you don’t understand his assignment. Same last year w Lotulelei

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No. You don’t understand our LB assignments. His job is to fit for run there, second LB is tasked w ball

right gap assignment, scrape backer. 

Thought even if Klein correctly scrapped, I have my doubts in his ability to stop someone like Henry for no gain. Sometimes you just gotta respect talent

Just now, appoo said:

right gap assignment, scrape backer. 

Thought even if Klein correctly scrapped, I have my doubts in his ability to stop someone like Henry for no gain. Sometimes you just gotta respect talent

He has to at least try. That play is there to be made

9 minutes ago, BananaB said:

The whole defense sucks right now. It’s not one guy. They all look pretty ***** terrible to me. It ain’t one guy getting beat all the time it’s everybody 

That I disagree with. I'm fairly happy with LB + DT play. Unhappy with DE play, REALLY unhappy with backup corner play (can't emphasize enough how much we need Tre and Levi back - at least they have the basic athletecism to hang with good NFL WRs. About all you can do with Normal right now is make him a boundary corner)

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He has to at least try. That play is there to be made

By Edmunds? His only real job there is to fill the gap and force the RB away from it. That play was CLEARLY designed to go right of center, led by the pulling guard. Edmunds got there first, and basically broke that play up. That's a successful play by Tremaine. Klein overplayed. 

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

That I disagree with. I'm fairly happy with LB + DT play. Unhappy with DE play, REALLY unhappy with backup corner play (can't emphasize enough how much we need Tre and Levi back - at least they have the basic athletecism to hang with good NFL WRs. About all you can do with Normal right now is make him a boundary corner)

By Edmunds? His only real job there is to fill the gap and force the RB away from it. That play was CLEARLY designed to go right of center, led by the pulling guard. Edmunds got there first, and basically broke that play up. That's a successful play by Tremaine. Klein overplayed. 

By Klein. The whole reason I got in this thread is people don’t understand Edmunds’ role and this play was supposedly proof he sucks when he’s doing exactly his job and let down by Klein

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I understand what his assignment was.  Since the pulling guard went for Jefferson instead of Edmunds, Edmunds decided to stick with his assignment and literally do nothing except give the pulling guard a love tap as he blocked Jefferson instead of recognizing he had a clear path to the ball carrier.  Yes, Klein sucked too, but I expect Edmunds to be able to read that he has a clear path to Henry.  If he’s not allowed to do that, then that’s an indictment on the coaching. 

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

By Klein. The whole reason I got in this thread is people don’t understand Edmunds’ role and this play was supposedly proof he sucks when he’s doing exactly his job and let down by Klein

My bad! Should have actually realized that based on earlier conversation

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I understand what his assignment was.  Since the pulling guard went for Jefferson instead of Edmunds, Edmunds decided to stick with his assignment and literally do nothing except give the pulling guard a love tap as he blocked Jefferson instead of recognizing he had a clear path to the ball carrier.  Yes, Klein sucked too, but I expect Edmunds to be able to read that he has a clear path to Henry.  If he’s not allowed to do that, then that’s an indictment on the coaching. 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Run fit- Edmunds is watching the FB, when he goes outside his fit is the G in Bgap 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Pulling guards don't have DLineman assignments. Except maybe on screens? Pulling guards LEAD through the hole, not make the hole. He wanted to push Edmunds out or to the right of the hole, clearing a straight path for Henry. Instead Edmunds forces the play back towards traffic. Not sure what else you could have expected out of him. He's got 300 pounds of human being, flying at considerable speed and strength, that he HAS to take on. I mean his literal job is take that guard on, and stand him up in the hole. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Lorax is an internet dude now.   He also gets paid to make guest appearances on radio and has a close, mentor-teacher relationship with the player he is being asked to critique.   If you are expecting his unobjective opinion then you are naive.  Now if Edmunds was some dude on some other team I am sure Lorax would tell you about the importance of instincts for a linebacker.   But since Edmunds lacks them.........its not a point of discussion.

2) I contest the notion that Edmunds absolutely has produced.   Preston fricken' Brown lead the NFL in tackles in this defense in 2017.  It's designed to create plays for the MLB to make.  That's why they invested so much in acquiring Edmunds relative to where the league typically values that position.  Edmunds has greatly underachieved statistically as a result of his lack of instincts for the position. 

In point #2 you first state that Brown led the NFL in tackles which supposedly means nothing.  Then you put down Edmunds due to lack of stats.  Is that not weird? 

Point #1 is even weaker.  So anyone who is a mentor is not genuine in his assessment.  Only disgruntled Bills fans are. 

BTW you are an internet dude as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, appoo said:

Pulling guards don't have DLineman assignments. Except maybe on screens? Pulling guards LEAD through the hole, not make the hole. He wanted to push Edmunds out or to the right of the hole, clearing a straight path for Henry. Instead Edmunds forces the play back towards traffic. Not sure what else you could have expected out of him. He's got 300 pounds of human being, flying at considerable speed and strength, that he HAS to take on. I mean his literal job is take that guard on, and stand him up in the hole. 

For some reason the pulling guard blocked Jefferson instead of Edmunds and the fullback went outside of Jefferson.  Edmunds was left unblocked and had a clear path to Henry for a negative yardage play.  Gotta take advantage of the other team’s mistakes.  It’s like he was shocked the  Guard didn’t block him.  

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

For some reason the pulling guard blocked Jefferson instead of Edmunds and the fullback went outside of Jefferson.  Edmunds was left unblocked and had a clear path to Henry for a negative yardage play.  Gotta take advantage of the other team’s mistakes.  It’s like he was shocked the  Guard didn’t block him.  

For the last time this was on Klein. Ask literally anyone.

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

In point #2 you first state that Brown led the NFL in tackles which supposedly means nothing.  Then you put down Edmunds due to lack of stats.  Is that not weird? 

Point #1 is even weaker.  So anyone who is a mentor is not genuine in his assessment.  Only disgruntled Bills fans are. 

BTW you are an internet dude as well. 

Who said leading the NFL in tackles means nothing?    That player achieved that for a reason.   In Brown's case it was because the system funneled the work to him and he completed the tackles.   But as we know he was not an exceptional MLB,  he was a journeyman type.   Edmunds was expected to be extraordinary in that role.   He's not.

Also btw,  you are not yet up to internet dude level but keep tryin'.👌    (Seriously people........read the OP's before you respond blindly)

Edited by BADOLBILZ

6 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He’s too weak at the point of attack for the edge and blitzing. If he’s anything it would be a 34 inside backer. 

I have always thought that this defense has better personal for a 3-4 defense minus the space eating immovable NT and LB depth.