Lorax discusses Tremaine Edmunds

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Prime is not necessarily chronological age, it's experience too. This is year 3, if his age is holding him back, maybe don't draft someone that young who won't be in his prime by the time his first contract is up.

I get that, but it's not at 22 years old either...and it's not like he's getting any help from his teammates either.

But you draft a kid that young for that reason, you get several more years out of him than you would someone else.

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's definitely playing downhill. The problem is he has no brakes and is coming down that hill at a bad angle, so one stutter step and the ball carrier goes right past him.

The angles on him missed tackles are infuriating.

I won't say he's out of position, or misdiagnosing plays, since we truly have no clue what his actual assignments are.

My main criticism, and what I will ding him for, is his lack of instincts on chasing down runners and making open field tackles. Dude should be a huge, fast beast swallowing up runners. Instead he looks like a baby giraffe learning how to run.

There goes Tremaine Edmunds chasing down the ball carrier after biting on play action.

Top 20 Giraffe GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Part of the defensive gameplan seemed to be just that: Sell out for the run and dare Tannehill to beat us.

I tend to feel that what killed us was

1) putting the D in crap field positions 3x with a turnover on pass deflection (INT), a 40 yd punt return, and an INT.

2) 10 accepted penalties, 9 of them presnap.  Can't win easily when you gift the opponent 1st and 5, 3rd and 2 etc.

3) a couple of bad, busted plays on D analogous to INT.  Can't win easily when you let them convert 3rd and 10 or worse, 3rd and 20 or totally lose contain on a mobile QB

Agree totally with 1 and 2. I think the inability to stop play action was more significant than 3).

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't know what film the Loarx is looking at but all I see is a LB'er getter pushed backwards and out of position on way too many plays. He had one or two good plays in coverage but besides that he looked like paper mâché. Lorax doing a review of Edmunds performance feels like Nepotism

Agree, what’s Lorax going to say ? If he calls out Edmunds for looking bad, everyone’s going to criticize Lorax for throwing a former teammate under the bus. 

13 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Well that sucks. So it's a scheme issue and the Bills defense is being too predictable. That seems tough to fix.

Unfortunately teams seem to have this McDermott defense figured out. I guess they need to do some self scouting and mix things up, but that's hard to do at a fundamental level.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well that sucks. So it's a scheme issue and the Bills defense is being too predictable. That seems tough to fix.

Unfortunately teams seem to have this McDermott defense figured out. I guess they need to do some self scouting and mix things up, but that's hard to do at a fundamental level.

@Buffalo716 was responding when I asked that same question and the conclusion seemed to be that it's probably fixable without too much horror.

The Bills like other teams should have a combination of in house QC people and purchased external analytics that show down, distance, the opponent's personnel package, how we lined up, and what our coverage actually was. 

So in theory, it should be a pretty straightforward task to answer "are we consistently running the same plays in the same game situations - showing the same look then switching to the same coverage?

If so, it's a question of are there other coverages that would also work in those situations, and/or are there other pre-snap 'looks' we could show to disguise that coverage?

Then utilize that information when calling plays.

The first step would be to recognize the problem of having become too predictable and prioritize coming up with solutions.  The mass of the grunt work should be something one can assign low level people or use purchased data to achieve.

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@Buffalo716 was responding when I asked that same question and the conclusion seemed to be that it's probably fixable without too much horror.

The Bills like other teams should have a combination of in house QC people and purchased external analytics that show down, distance, the opponent's personnel package, how we lined up, and what our coverage actually was. 

So in theory, it should be a pretty straightforward task to answer "are we consistently running the same plays in the same game situations - showing the same look then switching to the same coverage?

If so, it's a question of are there other coverages that would also work in those situations, and/or are there other pre-snap 'looks' we could show to disguise that coverage?

Then utilize that information when calling plays.

The first step would be to recognize the problem of having become too predictable and prioritize coming up with solutions.  The mass of the grunt work should be something one can assign low level people or use purchased data to achieve.

That's what I hope. I hope it isn't that the scheme has been figured out at a fundamental level. Let's hope they get it figured out.

We seem to run a lot of gap assignment on defense. At least that's my thoughts when I'm watching the D.  It's not a defense where backers are necessarily reading the olineman and RB. They diagnose run, they diagnose a side, and they fill a gap, trusting the DTs to fill gaps as well, and for the DEs and corners to contain. 

If you're watching Edmunds in the wrong gap, it might be that's actually an assignment thing. 

This actually might be in response to the Rams gashing the Bills D. The Rams I think use a lot of zone blocking scheme, and if you have linebackers, who read, react, fill - it's easy to open up cut backs in the middle for a RB to find. A way to counter that is with gap assignment football.  The Raiders also use such a zone blocking system with Jacobs, who's a one cut and go player, and they held Jacobs to 3.2 YPC,  on 48 yards.  The Titans are also a heavy Zone blocking team, and again the Bills stifled the run.

I don't have the film to breakdown, but my first guess is after the Rams game, the adjustment was to goto a intentional gap assignment defense - I mean I saw Tremaine a few times go straight into a gap on the snap, after seeing run. 

Edited by appoo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everyone on the field is playing a bit "hurt" but they shouldn't be out there if they are "injured." 

I think Edmunds is enough on the injured side of things that maybe he shouldn't be out there.

Not sure.

This thread is hilarious...  two different individuals With expertise and who understand the game with no reason to say anything on the topic one with breakdowns and video evidence... “Tremaine is doing his job, flashing great plays, scheme and run fits are getting foiled, impact players are hurt or missing”

Whiners on the board; “My fingers are in my ears and I’m yelling  and Tremaine can’t play MLB, sucks at everything, it’s all his fault”

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This thread is hilarious...  two different individuals With expertise and who understand the game with no reason to say anything on the topic one with breakdowns and video evidence... “Tremaine is doing his job, flashing great plays, scheme and run fits are getting foiled, impact players are hurt or missing”

Whiners on the board; “My fingers are in my ears and I’m yelling  and Tremaine can’t play MLB, sucks at everything, it’s all his fault”

Why devote your time to such a frivolous thread, then?

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Everyone on the field is playing a bit "hurt" but they shouldn't be out there if they are "injured." 

I think Edmunds is enough on the injured side of things that maybe he shouldn't be out there.

Not sure.

Looked a lot like he did what josh did to his shoulder when he landed wired in jets game. 

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not sure.

Here he is stacking Lewan...maybe the nastiest LT in the game

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Amazing.... only two people have any idea what they are talking about and fans are just fans who don't have a clue. 

One of those two people used to play for the Bills and had a relationship with everyone on the team and is good friends with the guy being criticized. No biased there at all. 😅

it’s the same “fans”, that think Sammy and Dareus should still be here, Allen stinks and always Will, Sean and Beane are idiots, Frazier should be fired, along with Daboll, Dodson or Milano should be MLB, Phillips is the missing link for Run D, Star stinks, White faked his back injury and who generally only speak up around here after losses..  yeah clueless, curmudgeons, different Jerry Sullivan burner accounts...  I won’t pretend to understand why it happens 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it’s the same “fans”, that think Sammy and Dareus should still be here, Allen stinks and always Will, Sean and Beane are idiots, Frazier should be fired, along with Daboll, Dodson or Milano should be MLB, Cam Phillips is the missing link for Run D, Star stinks, White faked his back injury and who generally only speak up around here after losses..  yeah clueless, curmudgeons, different Jerry Sullivan burner accounts...  I won’t pretend to understand why it happens 

Majority of fans don't understand what they're watching on Sundays

• Thank you (+1) 1

I hope those 2 plays aren’t the best arguments in support of Edmunds having a good game.  One play I vividly remember was a short yardage play where it almost appeared Edmunds thought #75 on the Titans had the ball and the RB who actually had the ball was nowhere near and easily got the 1st down.  We all want him to play well, not sure how anybody could say he played well on Tuesday, but that was pretty much the case for the whole team.  To my untrained eye, Hughes was the worst player on the field.