Would You Want Ryan Fitzpatrick Back in Buffalo in 2021?

JohnNord

I came across this on Twitter:

Based on Josh’s injury last week and the heartbreaking injury to Dak, how would you feel about Fitzpatrick coming back to Buffalo in 2021 to end his career as a Bill?  By next season Josh should be solidified as the unquestioned starter, so I don’t feel Fitzpatrick would be a threat, especially since Josh and Fitz seem to be friendly.  I also think he’d be an excellent  teacher to help Josh continue to get better.

On the other hand, the cap hit for Fitz would ($7-$8M) would be considerably higher than what we are paying the 2 QB’s on the roster combined.  With a monster deal for Allen on the horizon, as well as potential contract extensions for Milano and maybe Edmunds, the cap situation could get tight and the team may not want to invest that much in a QB.

The other question, is whether Fitz would want to come Buffalo, where he wouldn’t be given a chance to compete?  Or would he look for a better situation behind a QB on shaky ground?

You might also argue that Josh doesn’t need Fitzpatrick around as a mentor and could get by with a backup like Barkley.

Either way, as a fan of Fitzpatrick, I would love to see him finish out his career in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Fitz turns 38 this year, so he does arguably have some tread left on the tire. I want him back in Buffalo when he's ready for the broadcast booth. I think he'd be an awesome TV guy for the wardrobe alone.

THIS!!!!  No way do I see the Bills pulling the feelgood fanboy illogical move of bringing Fitz to sit behind Josh.....agreed that the thought of Barkley trotting out on the field does give me nightmares but the thought of paying Firtz when there are going to be many mouths, younger and more deserving mouths to feed.....uhhhhh I'll pass.

Go Bills!!

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

THIS!!!!  No way do I see the Bills pulling the feelgood fanboy illogical move of bringing Fitz to sit behind Josh.....agreed that the thought of Barkley trotting out on the field does give me nightmares but the thought of paying Firtz when there are going to be many mouths, younger and more deserving mouths to feed.....uhhhhh I'll pass.

Go Bills!!

I would agree... the only counter about paying that salary to the backup is what happened to Dak last night.  Dallas has several big contracts on the cap and still managed to pay Andy Dalton $7M to backup Dak.  It’s insurance - There was a good chance he wouldn’t play as Dak has never been injured.  But now, he appears to a be a QB that will keep them in the terrible NFC East division race.  

• Like (+1) 1