Ever seen a ghost?

EmotionallyUnstable

Nope, but one time I was nearly convinced.

When my first was in the crib we had a black & white video monitor. Picture was very grainy. Woke up one night and wifey was transfixed on it. Wondering what was up I took a look and saw what looked for all the world like ghosts flying back and forth above the crib. White wispy apparitions flying randomly over the crib. Not gonna lie, it freaked me out. Started doubting my doubt of ghosts. Actually pissed me off that anything was messing with my son so I went to take a look.

Absolutely nothing to see in his room. Just a baby enjoying a good nights sleep in a calm ghost-free room. Which made no sense so I went back to check on the video and sure enough the 'ghosts' were still there.

Turns out there was an oscillating fan in my sons room blowing a huge cobweb that was hanging in front of the video camera.

Good times.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I have never seen a ghost, myself. So I’m firmly in the ‘maybe’ camp on whether they are real.

My uncle, a post-WW2 vet, swears he saw one when he was installing phone lines in the late ‘70s iirc in the Mark Twain house in Hartford. This seems to be a reported thing with the ghost of a young woman in a flowing white dress. Mark Twain’s 24-year-old daughter died in the house from meningitis.

And my dad says he met one in Colorado, where he was stationed at Ft. Carson for basic training and specialty school for helicopter maintenance/ supply & warehouse side. He was talking to a gal before his company shipped out to Vietnam, she said she had to go and asked if he would walk her home. On the way she said he would be all right during the war. He then went back to the party. A guy came up to him a bit later and said he’d seen him talking before he left. But... he wasn’t talking to anyone who was visible to this man. He then shared that there was a well-known ghost in the house and that this (getting a person to walk her there) basically was her MO. My dad was injured when a box fell on his foot and then with an eye condition and did his two years of draft duty but didn’t go to the war.

There’s stuff that we don’t have explanations for, and whether that is energy that gets left behind or different dimensions or what-have-you....

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No. But I have had a premonition once that was too close to just be a coincidence.

Mine is more vivid details from dreams that literally came true months later, about environmental / physical features and things not in my control and far too random to be coincidence. As I was living it, I was like “Holy wow. I’ve seen this before!” Happened a few times. Freaky.

Edited by UConn James

Last year for my 40th birthday my wife and I took a trip to Colorado without the kids (our first trip without them since my eldest was born.). The first night we stayed at the Stanley hotel, and heard kids playing in the hall much of the night, which is supposed to be one of the most common experiences there.  Apparently when the hotel was built the top floor was the children's quarters.  Rich families would stay the whole summer, they would drop their kids off with the servants at the beginning of the summer and not see them again until it was time to leave in September.

My dad said the kid noise is probably piped in through speakers, and sigh, he's probably right.  It was a beautiful place though and I hope to go back one day.

Edited by Captain Caveman

I worked security for a very old courthouse built in the late 1800's. They added on to the old courthouse but the center is the original building. Things happened all the time. You walk by a vending machine and candy or soda would just fall out... I was afraid to eat to it at first b.c the sheriff's officers said they get angry if you touch their food.

Theyhad an office in the building and they always talk about hearing things. Walking around and the elevator doors would just open and close as you walked by. Hearing footsteps and not knowing if it's a sheriff's officer or... Nothing around the corner, wtf.

So creepy I still think about it every time someone mentions ghosts. I hated that job for that and the spiders everywhere you had to punch a punch card to make sure you were at that area.

Edited by TBBills

I swore to myself I wasn’t going to go here but........I firmly believe there is something beyond what we experience every day. In HS at St Joe’s we were required to read several books about near death experiences and life after life. That made me curious and I’ve read many more over the decades. I have one in my pending pile now.  I don’t know what I believe, but I know how little I know. I believe there are other dimensions/realms we know nothing about. Physicists tell us that is true. 

After we moved to Atlanta someone told my (very conservative, professional, buttoned up) wife about an amazing medium/psychic. I never went, but she checked her out and was amazed. Talked about it forever to me, the full blown skeptic.

We had two sons.  The oldest was awesome in so many ways, but also troubled with anxiety and depression. We lived a VERY difficult life as a family for about a decade, but our love and the boys’ love for each other never wavered.   He passed away almost 3 years ago (after almost 3 wonderful years of sobriety).  My distraught wife decided to go back to the medium a few months later. She was asked if we had recently made a big purchase. No, not really.....wait, his brother (the straight arrow) recently bought a new car. Well, you are getting something that will be a little joke to you, a haha from Michael. Michael was possibly the funniest person I’ve ever known. SERIOUSLY funny! What’s the tag # on the car?  “It will be clear when you see it”. We still had the temp tags. I had to text them when I got the tags from the DMV. Nope! There was a message coming, but it wasn’t the tags. Random tags. 

We sold the condo in Nashville after Michael died and decided to buy one in Atlanta for the straight arrow son and his now wife to rent from us. We looked all over. I had been in real estate here and worked with a great former co-worker. Reviewed a hundred plus units, visited over a dozen and one was clearly the best. HANDS DOWN. Best unit, best location, right on the fabulous Beltline making it the best investment. If we charged them full market rent now it would pay for the townhouse AND our house! The guy didn’t want to sell, but he got married and his bride refused to live where he had lived with his last girlfriend. Odd situation. He didn’t want to sell, so he made it hard to show saying he worked at home and nobody could come in. Best option, so we stayed patient and made it happen. We made “the big purchase”. 

The Townhouse is on Goodson Way. 

“It will be clear when you see it.” 

HAHA! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

Supposedly the cemetery behind our house is haunted by a girl who died in the early 1900s.  One time, when my daughter was young, we were walking through it and she claimed to have seen a girl in a flowing white gown move off in the distance behinda few gravestones.  Broad daylight, Sunday afternoon... My daughter knew nothing of the haunted story.   We were walking, cutting through to help a friend that got their  car stuck at the back of the cemetery, just beneath a small hill.  Upon entering,  my daughter looks and points: "There's Katharine (our friend's name)."  I laughed and said: " Come on, why would she be here?  They are at the bottom of the hill."  My daughter claimed  a girl ran off in distance.  When I researched the cemetery,  there were claims of people seeing a girl who died and was buried there around 1914.  Could my daughter have seen her ghost?  Of was it just flare from the sun? Her imagination...

There used to be a TV show called  "Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World."

He would investigate various mysteries in each episode and form a conclusion at the end.  

One was dedicated to ghosts.  His conclusion was that ghosts do in fact exist.

He suggested that to the person who thinks he/she saw the ghost, the ghost is very much real, so in that sense, ghosts do exist.

Ghosts, like a lot of other things (alien abductions to name one), amount to a human psychological phenomenon.

Measured by that standard, I agree they are "real."  

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

Not myself personally, but one of my best friends dated a girl who could “see”.

I am by nature cynical and as skeptical as a person can be, but I never once doubted her sincerity. She was not a bullspitter, or attention seeking type. Was actually quite reserved about her ‘ability’, and didn’t broadcast it or really ever throw it out there for discussion. 

It obviously would come up time to time and she definitely had a story or two that would give you the creeps. She worked in an L-shaped restaurant, and when she’d be cleaning the one dining room, presumably alone room she’d see a man out of the corner of her eye...turn to look, gone.

Started to get to her, so she reluctantly told the owner, who took her aside, pulled out an old map and showed her that the restaurant was built on a corner where three houses used to stand. The dining room at the end was basically over the site of a brutal murder some years prior.  

Yeah, she didn’t stay at that job much longer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.