Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Fantasy Question: Shd I go with Josh Allen or a Justin Herbert? 

usually a no-brainer but tomorrow’s game uncertainty makes this hard to decide - need 23 points to win.

You should go with Herbert. Allen is a stud, but one positive player in the next 24 hours and the game gets the kibosh. Can’t risk it...plus, Herbert has been solid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what exactly was the proper contingency plan?  Better yet what is the exact virus playbook, because without knowing extraly what the virus will do next, how can you have better plans?

I agree with you they didn't have a plan for:

If seven days after the first positive test, a team then has two days of no positive tests, but then on (what would it be) day 9 and 10 they have two more days of positive tests, then three days of no positive tests, then another positive test the next day.  You're correct, they didn't have a plan in place to deal with that situation.  But what if on day 9, instead of two days off no positive, it was three days before the next positive, was a new plan needed for that outcome?

The plan was simple you needed to have two days of no positive tests, then team can get back to normal.  Why such a simple plan because it's the only plan they know will work as they don't know what the virus will do next.

Is the reason Tenn keeps having positive tests because they broke the rules and secretly met or did they all come from the first outbreak?  Who knows??  Could they have added in a bye week every four weeks, sure in hind sight it's easy to say, but what if they weren't needed?  How many people would be screaming at no football this weekend.  If they had done that, this weekend would have been a bye, so what games would have been played?  ZERO! as the teams that right now that have had issues are still all in the issue state.  So Tenn could play Steelers along with the NE Denver game week 9 and the Bills week 13.  I'm sure the networks would have loved that deal, what do they do with all the extra time slots now with no games? 

Actually wouldn't surprise me if a big reason they didn't add extra league wide byes was because of major push back from the networks if not needed.  Likely the compromise they made with the networks is if needed, they will add an extra week towards season end.  A fall back too is to cancel games between teams not going to make the playoffs, then shift things around so maybe there is a week where Jax is playing Houston, that game gets canceled and games moved so we now play Tenn that week. Jax Houston can be played the first weekend of the playoffs so all the players still get paid. By week 14 or so will know of some teams that aren't in the playoffs.

Great post.  In retrospect, it might have been a better idea to extend the season to, say, 20 games and sprinkle extra byes in for each team, so that there are plenty of games every week, but built-in flexibility if games have to be made up.  With only one bye per team, it’s probably too tight of a window...

25 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

man.... dont get me started. Literally the most self righteous fan base. They act as though the "Stillers" and the fans themselves are gracing the league and the nation with their presence. They make me wanna vomit. 

I"m a bit embarrassed to say this. But having grown up around them i honestly may hate the Steelers even more than the Pats. its very close.

I do find if very interesting as anytime a person is not a fan of the local team and is a fan of a team from another area, the local team fans are the worst in their mind.  I know people in Western NY who are fans of other teams, Browns Vikings, and Miami come to mind and everything you just stated about the Steeler fans they think the same of Bills fans.  Can still recall the one person calling the Bills fair weather fans as there were games in the 90's era that weren't even sold out.  Face it neither the Houston or Jax playoff games sold out.  They tell you how obnoxious Bills fans treat them if they go to a game in Buffalo and root for the other team and wear their colors.

So it's all relative IMO

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Great post.  In retrospect, it might have been a better idea to extend the season to, say, 20 games and sprinkle extra byes in for each team, so that there are plenty of games every week, but built-in flexibility if games have to be made up.  With only one bye per team, it’s probably too tight of a window...

Yeah but even with extra byes, still have to be able to work the dates out between the two affected teams.  Granted it does improve the probability of making it work out.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

29 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

man.... dont get me started. Literally the most self righteous fan base. They act as though the "Stillers" and the fans themselves are gracing the league and the nation with their presence. They make me wanna vomit. 

I"m a bit embarrassed to say this. But having grown up around them i honestly may hate the Steelers even more than the Pats. its very close.

I've Iived in 5 different NFL cities and now live just north of Pitt.  I would have to agree, they are insufferable.

19 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

Since it's an independent lab it don't work that way. 

Don't blame the NFL, blame the virus baby. The NFL has ***** up plenty of things in this saga but if the situation was reversed, if the Bills could get back a big piece from the COVID list and the league decided they couldn't despite what the ink on the rulebook says I would be screeching at the top of my damned lungs.

Shhhhhhhhhh don’t say things like that, that goes against the whole conspiracy theory of the NFL being out to get the Bills!!

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

It would be a wonderful idea - hmm wonder why it did not happen - because the NFL does not have the ability to do that without agreement from the NFLPA.

What we know is the NFLPA blocked the bubbling effort as a hardship.  What we have also been told is when the NFL suggested a 2nd bye week - so adding 1 more week to the season - the NFLPA would agree if the players received an extra game check for adding weeks.  That ended up as part of the testing negotiations and in the end the NFL determined it was better to leave the schedule alone and utilize their “emergency” power to make COVID adjustments to the schedule as needed.

The NFL was already worried about losing money and adding additional benefits/money to add weeks was not going to happen.  The same thing with shortening the season - the NFLPA was fine as long as they got paid for the entire 16 game schedule. 

I believe if both sides wanted to play some hard ball - they could of come to an agreement, but as we saw with baseball - there was the chance that if one side overplayed their hand the season could of crashed.  It sounds like the owners decided to just leave things and work around to ensure the games were played.

It is also why you won’t have forfeits unless absolutely necessary- the NFL loses money and this year is already a loss and next year with the reduced cap won’t make up for it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You should go with Herbert. Allen is a stud, but one positive player in the next 24 hours and the game gets the kibosh. Can’t risk it...plus, Herbert has been solid.

go with Allen.  The game will be played, and Allen’s going  to have another big one.

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I agree as well, go with Herbert, although Allen is more likely to get the 23 points you need if he does play. My problem is, I have Allen and my backup is Tannehill.  (I also have Diggs and the Bills Defense) If the Titans have any more positives, I will take a Loss this week, and I am undefeated and in 1st place in my league.  Stupid Titans. ;) 

38 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That’s what I told myself about Diggs/Justin Jefferson. I benched Diggs thinking I didn’t want to chance it, plus Jefferson has been lighting it up. Then you have Seattle’s trash D. 3 for 23.  :( 

Edited by YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I do find if very interesting as anytime a person is not a fan of the local team and is a fan of a team from another area, the local team fans are the worst in their mind.  I know people in Western NY who are fans of other teams, Browns Vikings, and Miami come to mind and everything you just stated about the Steeler fans they think the same of Bills fans.  Can still recall the one person calling the Bills fair weather fans as there were games in the 90's era that weren't even sold out.  Face it neither the Houston or Jax playoff games sold out.  They tell you how obnoxious Bills fans treat them if they go to a game in Buffalo and root for the other team and wear their colors.

So it's all relative IMO

Yeah but even with extra byes, still have to be able to work the dates out between the two affected teams.  Granted it does improve the probability of making it work out.

24 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I've Iived in 5 different NFL cities and now live just north of Pitt.  I would have to agree, they are insufferable.

@Ed_Formerly_of_Roch this is what I’m talking about. I’ve spoken to many people from outside my area that feel the same way I do about them. 

45 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Yeah, Steelers fans are pretty obnoxious. I went to school at WVU, which is only an hour from Pittsburgh (I'm from Rochester) and they're super annoying.

It was even more annoying because they could never beat the Pats in the playoffs.

If NFL keeps the season open for too long by adding extra bye weeks it could also work against them. Longer the season is open more the chances of players contracting the virus. Also those extra bye weeks players would have chance to be home or go out that would increase the chances of getting the virus. NFL wants to finish the season on time as much as possible. 

10 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

two other Tuesday games?  

🤔   

" The more recent game was on Dec. 28, 2010 and it was between the Vikings against the Eagles. The game was postponed due to a blizzard in Philadelphia that brought more than a foot of snow to the city. For that game, the teams did not know the game was postponed until an hour before kickoff. The Eagles and the Vikings both lost their next game after playing on a Tuesday, which is something the Bills and Titans want to avoid."

• Like (+1) 1