Chargers Team Doctor accidentally punctured Tyrod’s lung; Herbert to start week 3

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I bet this happens all the time in the NFL. These guys basically get paid to either crash into somebody with the force of a Toyota or get crashed into by a Toyota. Over and over again for about 3 hours. Then they spend the entire off season to get as strong as possible so that it hurts the other guy more. These guys are all doped up for 4-5 months of the year. 

Pain injections?  Absolutely common in the NFL.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/2016-5-23-eugene-monroe-ravens-marijuana-opioids-toradol-nfl

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think (but not 100% sure) that the CBA has something about players consenting to team medical care 

I think this is correct. I’m wondering if, because this procedure has a known risk of pneumothorax, the doctor explained that risk and/or had TT sign a disclaimer before it was administered. I wonder if the team, physician, and league are indemnified as a result.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I had eye surgery a few years back due to an old injury.  It took me a few years to decide to go through with it, and as they were getting ready to put me under, the nurse confirmed which eye the surgery was on, grabbed a magic marker and made an X over it.  She told me it can get confusing for the doctor depending on where he was standing.  It was not all that reassuring and I started to ask more questions and the lights went out.  

we need a “worried face emoji” reaction... lol

😬

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I had eye surgery a few years back due to an old injury.  It took me a few years to decide to go through with it, and as they were getting ready to put me under, the nurse confirmed which eye the surgery was on, grabbed a magic marker and made an X over it.  She told me it can get confusing for the doctor depending on where he was standing.  It was not all that reassuring and I started to ask more questions and the lights went out.  

Lol

Assistant: "We're doing the left eye today, doctor."

Doctor: "My left or his left?"

• Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's pretty routine, actually, especially as the season wears on.  There's a line, as I understand it.

I assume every team has a handful of players getting these shots every week.

To hear past players talk about it, it is pretty standard.

But typically it's in a knee or arm, not the chest, and not with an accidental lung puncture! Yikes!

Seems it can happen, puncturing a lung when giving an injection to the rib area. What is more questionable, is this culture of drugs and painkillers in the NFL, including all the pain shots which are no mystery. Expect the NFL to go even more "woke" or find distractions if this becomes a topic the media focuses on, as they obviously don't want lawsuits or bad press.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Did they fire the doctor, yet? 

Can't imagine he would survive that level of mistake.

You would be surprised how often medical providers commit medical malpractice and suffer relatively minor professional repercussions. 

I'm not even entirely sure that this incident would rise to the level of medical malpractice, but I have no idea what the standard of care is in this regard.