Diggs VS draft

Dat

I was curious about the rookie WR's and started looking their game 1 stats up. Thought in case anyone else was interested I would post.

I understand it's one game, means virtually nothing and "get back to me after the season" applies.

In the order of the draft

REC  Yds  Targets

Diggs       8/86  9

Ruggs      3/55  5

Jeudy       4/56  8

Lamb        5/59  6

Reagor     1/55  4

Jefferson 2/26  3

Aiyuk         0/0

Higgins      0/0

Pittman     2/10

Shenault    3/37

Hamler       0/0

Claypool     2/39

Jefferson    1/31

Mims           0/0

Gibson         2/8

Bowden       0/0

Edwards      1/9

Duverny       1/12

Davis            2/16

GandyG        0/0

Edited by Dat
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 12

The stats are good (thanks for putting them together) but the truth is, regardless of his stats, his veteran presence was obvious on Sunday.  Great blocking, taking huge hits and holding onto the ball, pointing Allen towards open receivers (Knox in corner of end zone) etc.  Diggs is fun to watch and he and Brown are the best 1-2 WR combo we have had in years.  

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 30
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The stats are good (thanks for putting them together) but the truth is, regardless of his stats, his veteran presence was obviously on Sunday.  Great blocking, taking huge hits and holding onto the ball, pointing Allen towards open receivers (Knox in corner of end zone) etc.  Diggs is fun to watch and he and Brown are the best 1-2 WR combo we have had in years.  

Totally agree.

Also, in terms of catches and yards he is a known factor and as a #1 has their attention and best CB &/or double where the rookies likely had their catches vs #2 or #3, although i turned the game off it did look like Jeudy was getting attention early.

Edited by Dat

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

It unfortunate that Bill OBrien giving away deondre on the same day took the luster off what should be seen as a great trade. 

Didnt take the luster off for me. I know what you mean, but people have to be able to look at things objectively. We got our number 1 WR for a first round pick, ill take that all day every day. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The stats are good (thanks for putting them together) but the truth is, regardless of his stats, his veteran presence was obviously on Sunday.  Great blocking, taking huge hits and holding onto the ball, pointing Allen towards open receivers (Knox in corner of end zone) etc.  Diggs is fun to watch and he and Brown are the best 1-2 WR combo we have had in years.  

Oh yeah, BBinATL, I loved Diggs' block on Smoke's flanker-screen TD. You could see the safety wanted nothing to do with it after Diggs popped him. It was also remarkable to see Diggs directing Josh on a few throws off scrambles, as you pointed out. In my half century of watching football, I've seen many receivers wave for the ball, but I don't think I ever saw a receiver point to *another* open teammate!  Heady stuff by Diggs ...

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Oh yeah, BBinATL, I loved Diggs' block on Smoke's flanker-screen TD. You could see the safety wanted nothing to do with it after Diggs popped him. It was also remarkable to see Diggs directing Josh on a few throws off scrambles, as you pointed out. In my half century of watching football, I've seen many receivers wave for the ball, but I don't think I ever saw a receiver point to *another* open teammate!  Heady stuff by Diggs ...

I like WRs that can block well especially with physicality.  Two things required are (1) want to and (2) working at it.  They do not all have those in significant measure.  It's part of what I like about Duke's game and he probably does not make their practice squad without it.  When the stars do it well, it sets the bar high for everyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

Rookie WRs are going to struggle against man almost every time.  Getting off the line in press. The ones that don't are like the athletic freak types like Moss who make a living off the contested catches.  

Diggs does all of those things well right now, and knows what it takes to be a pro.  In years 1-3 of this deal he should outperform everyone drafted.  

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If I'm not mistaken, also in a positive way holding guys accountable for balls he would have brought down or held on to (his body language after Knox)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It will probably change over time, and no one knows how,  but Diggs is the best of that group right now and it’s not close 

Yeah, the Bills are a better team with Diggs on it than a rookie.  I don’t think it’s debatable.  But if one of these guys becomes Jerry Rice, it would be an interesting conversation.  

but without a doubt for this year, Diggs would be the top pick out of these guys.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I'm not mistaken, also in a positive way holding guys accountable for balls he would have brought down or held on to (his body language after Knox)

Totally positive. I love me some John Brown, but he is a quiet humble guy. Diggs is a vocal vet with passion to pump everyone up, call them out, help them out and be a leader in the WR room is just an added bonus. The discussions he was having with everyone including Allen during practice that some reporters were trying to make into a big deal was just him trying to make the team better to me. His interview after the game saying he enjoyed seeing Allen having fun and promoting that all game, He a dogg

Edited by Dat