IF the Bills don't win the AFC East - -what's next?

LB48

With potentially the best overall team roster in many years the Bills should finally win the AFC East Division title again and get a guaranteed play-off spot.  I don't count out New England as their main challenger.  Nine wins might not win the Division.

So - - what's the next step???  

If Allen is the real problem who replaces him?  We've juggled the DL for the past 3 years and it's still a potential liability!  Are Poyer & Hyde really great safeties?

I love Edmunds for his speed, quickness and agility but can he be a true NFL Middle Linebacker?

Lots of Questions if we don't win the Division!!

I mean it depends. You can play well and lose. You can also play badly and win. This is a three year window. Process over outcome, which is how you build long term success. They have a plan and benchmarks they are trying to hit, and my guess is it is a lot more nuanced than their win/loss record.

Edmunds was a true nfl lb last year...he made the pro bowl...Poyer and Hyde are key pieces of a top 5 defense three years in a row.

When building a team the objective is to continually progress and improve in all factors. Offense, Defense, Coaching, etc. This above all else is what's to be expected in the hopes it leads to a championship.  There were many games last season where the Bills played poorly or mediocre and still eeked out a win. Jets, Cincy Miami, Tenn come to mind. Hey, good teams find a way to win, right? The competition is much harder this year and its actually feasible to go 8-8 or 9-7 and still be an improved team, just not in the win column. Remember other teams are trying to win as well and aren't going to lie down just because the Bills are favored and supposedly the better team on paper. Windows to compete for a title are usually small as it becomes more and more difficult to keep a caliber team intact.  This core IMO has the next 3 years to make it happen providing everyone continues to maintain and improve their level of play.

So to answer your question if they don't win the AFCE assuming they play to their potential? ...... Hey! Better luck next year......

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

With potentially the best overall team roster in many years the Bills should finally win the AFC East Division title again and get a guaranteed play-off spot.  I don't count out New England as their main challenger.  Nine wins might not win the Division.

If Allen is the real problem who replaces him?  We've juggled the DL for the past 3 years and it's still a potential liability!  Are Poyer & Hyde really great safeties?

I love Edmunds for his speed, quickness and agility but can he be a true NFL Middle Linebacker?

That's like asking if I graduate summa ***** laude what next, and asking it before you enter college. Did you not get summa ***** laude because you dropped out of Harvard and started Microsoft instead? Because you contracted Hep C and missed two years and lost most of your energy? Were you diagnosed with severe dyslexia? Did you have to drop out to earn money for your family? Or were you just a lazy bag of phlegm who didn't study?

Assuming we don't win the division, there's no way to know what the next step is. Did Josh Allen complete 48%? Did we go 13-3, but the Dolphins won 14 games? Were Allen, Tre White and Stefon Diggs injured? Was the offense sensational, but the defense fell apart? Did we get in as a wild card and then win the Super Bowl? Or were we just not as good a team as we'd thought? 

It's simply way too early to know what we should do in an imaginary future when we don't even have an imaginary reason why the imaginary future happened.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

we need to see why before we ask any questions

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I mean it depends. You can play well and lose. You can also play badly and win. This is a three year window. Process over outcome, which is how you build long term success. They have a plan and benchmarks they are trying to hit, and my guess is it is a lot more nuanced than their win/loss record.

Edmunds was a true nfl lb last year...he made the pro bowl...Poyer and Hyde are key pieces of a top 5 defense three years in a row.

This is year 4 of the rebuild. If Allen is the reason they don't make the playoffs then Beane had better trade for Aaron Rodgers.  Because his seat will be scorching hot next off season. 

Guys, this is Jets2020.  When he was kicked out or suspended, these silly threads started as LB48.  I didn’t call it as someone stated first, and thought this made a great deal of sense.  Just read the content of this thread.  If you guys want to entertain this Jets fan, go ahead.  I just know I have a lot of friends on this board and at least you know who you are talking to on the board.  It doesn’t matter to me as long as you know who is really posting veiled negative Bills threads like wha.t if Allen can’t measure up, what do we do.  It then prompts tons of replies and of course defending the team, and riles people up.  All I know is if I liked the Jets, I’d be on Jets boards.  Not the team that is going to crush me again this year as that is what’s happening in five days.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Guys, this is Jets2020.  When he was kicked out or suspended, these silly threads started as LB48.  I didn’t call it as someone stated first, and thought this made a great deal of sense.  Just read the content of this thread.  If you guys want to entertain this Jets fan, go ahead.  I just know I have a lot of friends on this board and at least you know who you are talking to on the board.  It doesn’t matter to me as long as you know who is really posting veiled negative Bills threads like wha.t if Allen can’t measure up, what do we do.  It then prompts tons of replies and of course defending the team, and riles people up.  All I know is if I liked the Jets, I’d be on Jets boards.  Not the team that is going to crush me again this year as that is what’s happening in five days.

Go Bills!

Agreed - look he has started several anti-Bills threads since he started.

He is just another renamed troll.

Rochester, maybe I’m wrong, or the person who nailed it, but it sounds a heck o a lot like Jets2020.  Anyway, I don’t care if he makes these negative posts.  Just as long as the guys know who is trying to rile people up.  At least when he was allowed to come as Jets 2020, we knew who he was and he want trying to be deceptive and use an innocuous name vs. just saying Jets2021.  At least then, he’d be honest.

Impossible to say, in a vacuum. What is the reason that we don't win the AFCE? Especially with this COVID-19 stuff, who knows if we'll even have a full season. What if they call the season after 10 games and we lose the division for some reason?

In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 and missed the playoffs. Stuff can happen. The arbitrary "must win AFCE or else" stuff has little merit.

4 hours ago, LB48 said:

You were better as Jimmy Spags. 
Go somewhere else with your trolling. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Too many hypotheticals for me. Just have to see how it plays out and we can make our judgements from there.

Correct.  Classic example are the Browns of 2019.   Everyone expected them to win the division with all that talent. Their definitely was a huge amount of hype built around.   Then they started with a very tough schedule and they fell behind.  They made a frantic dash at the end to compensate that bad start; but it was too much to overcome.  They finished in disappointment,   They also had a HC to deal with who was out of control. 

The Bills could have the same situation this year.  Our schedule is tough on paper and our divisional rivals have made similar improvements as us, The hype is on us to win the division and make a deep run in the playoffs.  We will have to see if McDermott can take the next step himself to get the team to the desired goal. 

Let's watch how the season actually plays out.  Then we can make a call about where this team stands.

Going in, these are the milestones I expect to hit in order to consider 2020 a successful season:

- At least 10-11 wins

- AFC East Division Title

- Win at least one playoff game

However, I'm not going to draw a line in the sand. 

What if there are key injuries?  What if we somehow win 12 games and it isn't enough to take the AFC East?

It's also premature to blame a player or position until we witness it as a liability.  Right now, I think our team is set for a playoff run.