Bills cuts toward the 53 man roster -Saturday cuts begin Pg 15

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Just curious, what is the point of releasing names one by one?   I've never really understood that -- why do teams not just release all the names at the deadline?  

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Because they are telling the players individually and the info is getting released as each player meets with the coach whether the player or the agent or the team is doing it. They will put out a list when they have informed everyone.

If a team did not want this information to be released they could tell the players and their agents that we would rather you cooperate and wait for us to release names at once.  We understand if you do otherwise trying to get leg up on other players but we will looking to sign players to practice squad who are cooperative.

44 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Good luck to him. 

McKenzie survives?

That’s what this may mean. McKenzie has been groomed as the potential next returner. I also think he has more  market value than the others.

Edited by Locomark

6 minutes ago, 16-0 said:

Nate is a huge blocking TE and I will be curious if they sign him back to the PS (he was on it last year).

IF the Bills are interested in a blocking TE in the future he could be Lee Smith's replacement next year.

Then again the Bills could totally move away from the need for a blocking TE.

2 hours ago, 16-0 said:

If this is the plan to come back and re-sign him on Sunday, I do wonder if the league will change the rules in future years to prevent this somehow?  While I understand they are not breaking any rules and that every team in the league can make such moves and likely many others are doing a similar thing, I do question if the league rules were developed with the intent of allowing these types of side deals. 

I'm guessing not and won't be shocked to see them close this loophole, though off the top of my head, can't see an easy way to prevent these things from happening.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If this is the plan to come back and re-sign him on Sunday, I do wonder if the league will change the rules in future years to prevent this somehow?  While I understand they are not breaking any rules and that every team in the league can make such moves and likely many others are doing a similar thing, I do question if the league rules were developed with the intent of allowing these types of side deals. 

I'm guessing not and won't be shocked to see them close this loophole, though off the top of my head, can't see an easy way to prevent these things from happening.

As far as I know deals for things like "Future Considerations" are a thing.  We traded Chris Spielman many years ago for "Past Considerations" which was quite literally nothing.

We also don't know exactly what the conditions were, it was speculated that they may have been voided, but they may not have.  It can always be something like if he appears on the Bills 53 man roster more than 2 games in 2020 or something.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think the fact that it was a conditional 7th round pick the Panthers were very aware of what could happen. We don’t know the full working of the trade so there could be things in there, but making the trade with less than a week before cuts leads me to believe they knew there was a high likelihood they were giving him to the Bills for nothing

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Nate is a huge blocking TE and I will be curious if they sign him back to the PS (he was on it last year).

IF the Bills are interested in a blocking TE in the future he could be Lee Smith's replacement next year.

Then again the Bills could totally move away from the need for a blocking TE.

I doubt they move away from it as a position on the roster. Daboll comes from the New England school. They always have a blocking tight end.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I doubt they move away from it as a position on the roster. Daboll comes from the New England school. They always have a blocking tight end.

I lean toward your thinking too.  That's why I've been curious about Nate.  If he (or another like him) is on the PS then we kind of know it's true

for the long term.