Just So We Know Who We're Dealing With - Your Adult Voting History, Please

OK, so I'm curious about this. There's a lot of very strident people, left and (mostly) right on the PPP forum. I'm new to this, my involvement previously being limited to, well, football.

Are these life-long beliefs? Do people change?

What's your voting history in Presidential elections?

I'll start it off, with a very limited explanation:

1980: John Anderson (the Carter-Reagan year). I didn't like Jimmy, I lived in NY which was guaranteed to go Democratic, so it was kind of a protest vote/encourage the parties to find a more sensible set of policies. Anderson was a conservative Democrat of the type that no longer exists.

1984: Mondale. I was young, and I guess liberal, though less so than most of my college friends. In retrospect, a poor decision. Maybe the only one I really regret, although it wouldn't have made any difference in that landslide election. 

1988: Dukakis. Not quite as young, not quite as liberal. More of a "time for a change" vote for me. 

1992: Ross Perot (the Bush 41-Clinton year). Same as 1980. I was in California, so my vote didn't really matter. Ross was crazy, but I didn't like the sleaze of Clinton and 12 years in power for either party is enough.

1996: Clinton. I was doing o.k., didn't want to rock the boat. Plus: Bob Dole. Really?

2000: Bush 43. I see that this was my first Republican vote. Again, the Clinton-Gore sleaze. Enough.

2004: Kerry. Two words: Iraq War.

2008: Obama. I liked McCain, but I thought his time had passed. Time for a new generation. Little did I know the old generation wasn't done yet (Trump/Biden)

2012: Romney. I thought Obama overreached in extending Presidential power. I hate, hate, hated "I have a pen and I have a phone." By this time Romney best fit my policy preferences too.

2016: Gary Johnson. Here I go again. By now the "I won't be trapped by the two party system" had taken on more of a libertarian air (small "l'). Plus I was in a solidly blue state so again, a free vote my conscience election.

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, so I'm curious about this. There's a lot of very strident people, left and (mostly) right on the PPP forum. I'm new to this, my involvement previously being limited to, well, football.

Are these life-long beliefs? Do people change?

What's your voting history in Presidential elections?

I'll start it off, with a very limited explanation:

1980: John Anderson (the Carter-Reagan year). I didn't like Jimmy, I lived in NY which was guaranteed to go Democratic, so it was kind of a protest vote/encourage the parties to find a more sensible set of policies. Anderson was a conservative Democrat of the type that no longer exists.

1984: Mondale. I was young, and I guess liberal, though less so than most of my college friends. In retrospect, a poor decision. Maybe the only one I really regret, although it wouldn't have made any difference in that landslide election. 

1988: Dukakis. Not quite as young, not quite as liberal. More of a "time for a change" vote for me. 

1992: Ross Perot (the Bush 41-Clinton year). Same as 1980. I was in California, so my vote didn't really matter. Ross was crazy, but I didn't like the sleaze of Clinton and 12 years in power for either party is enough.

1996: Clinton. I was doing o.k., didn't want to rock the boat. Plus: Bob Dole. Really?

2000: Bush 43. I see that this was my first Republican vote. Again, the Clinton-Gore sleaze. Enough.

2004: Kerry. Two words: Iraq War.

2008: Obama. I liked McCain, but I thought his time had passed. Time for a new generation. Little did I know the old generation wasn't done yet (Trump/Biden)

2012: Romney. I thought Obama overreached in extending Presidential power. I hate, hate, hated "I have a pen and I have a phone." By this time Romney best fit my policy preferences too.

2016: Gary Johnson. Here I go again. By now the "I won't be trapped by the two party system" had taken on more of a libertarian air (small "l'). Plus I was in a solidly blue state so again, a free vote my conscience election.

Very similar to your record starting in 92, right up to voting for Johnson in 2016 because I was fed up with both sides. Im a single issue voter this time and its very simple. They absolutely spied on Trump and abused our law enforcement and intelligence agencies in this process. No honest person at this point who reads the evidence can deny this. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2004: Bush

2008: McCain

2012: DNV

2016: Trump (was a hold my nose, thought about Johnson but he seemed not too bright and had no chance at winning, so went with Trump due to the SC justice issue)

2020: Trump without hesitation 

From 1992 through 2012: Whoever the Libertarian candidate was at the time. 

2016: Trump. It was a very anti-Hillary vote. I didn't decide on Trump until election day, but my final thoughts were hoping that a true outsider may really be able to shake up the cesspool that is D.C (rather than tossing my vote away on the Libertarians again).

Full disclosure: Since I have been voting, I always lived in either a deep red or deep blue state. There was never any doubt as to which way the state was going to fall. If I had been in a swing state my pre-2016 decisions may have been different.

Democratic presidential candidates all the way through.  Used to split tickets otherwise depending on the candidate and the circumstance (e.g., I think Chris Collins is a douche, but it was better for the area to have him in Congress given his connections; Grisanti for NYS Senate because I wanted some counterweight to the shady downstate Dems in the Senate at the time).  Maybe someday I'll vote for a Republican candidate again.  But not one who didn't stand up to Trump.  

1972 - McGovern

1976 - Ford

1980 - Reagan

1984 - Reagan

1988 - Bush Sr.

1992 - Bush Sr.

1996 - Dole

2000 - Bush Jr.

2004 - Bush Jr.

2008 - McCain

2012 - Romney

2016 - Trump

Many of those were reluctant, lesser of two evils votes.

Voted McGovern in 1972

8635a254-2cba-4cb6-b339-e37be8efeef7_tex

• Haha (+1) 2

'84:  The Man:  saw him speak live 3 weeks before the election.

'88:  Bush: no real decision here

'92:  Bush: again no real decision, he was our last solid POTUS

'96:  Not positive but think this was the first time I voted Libertarian.....election outcome was a foregone conclusion

'00:  No one....was on a red eye to London....had to have a Brit cab driver explain WTF was happening in the morning.

'04:  Bush:  first time my vote was primarily driven by the corrupt, hateful idiots on the left, this despite growing steadily more socially progressive as I get older.

'08:  McCain, unenthusiastically.   Considered voting for Obama.

'12:  Johnson....like '96, the election outcome was never in doubt.

'16:  My 9-year daughter:  Other choices were disgusting but happily rooted for Hillary's failure.

'20: Trump:  Every worst fear of how unhinged and how corrupt the left wing is has been shown to be true.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In presidential elections I have voted straight Republican sometimes holding my nose. I started in 1996 and was all in during 2004 only.( My father fought in Vietnam and had to deal with fallout for Kerry testimony without any names) and 2016 was completely anti Hillary. 2020 I am all in on Trump unless something crazy happens and go 3rd party. On the lower level votes I am all over the place and try to find a person who is capable of leading without dominating my life 

Edited by Buffalo Timmy

1992 - Perot

1996 - Dole (not much of a choice - voted against Clinton after he admitted to smoking weed but claimed he didn't inhale it.)

2000 - Bush

2004 - Bush

2008 - McCain (not much of a choice - voted against Obama)

1012 - Romney (again, same as above)

2016 - Trump (completely fed up with 'traditional candidates' and rabidly anti-Hillary)

2020 - unless something truly outrageous happens, will vote for Trump again.