Does the loss of 'Star' and Jordan Phillips make us vunerable up the middle?

LB48

We should actually be better against the run without those two. Jordan Phillips was highly overrated here because of his sack total. For such a monster of a man he wasn’t overly great at the run. I think we’re extremely solid on the line, and the workouts are just updating the emergency contact list for the season 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Star opted out b.c he knew he was gonna be cut.

I believe this.  They had already signed Butler, Jefferson, Addison long before he bailed.  He was a Hauschka-like gone.  Addison's a DE but his signing plus Epensa reinforces the fact that Jefferson is there to play DT. 

Horrible Harry coming back, Oliver's not going anywhere.  Butler and Jefferson signed to real contracts makes 4 DT that would start in front of both Jordan Phillips and Star.

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Jordan Phillips already made us vulnerable up the middle. For as heavy as he was he had very little lower body power to anchor. 

Jordan Phillips was THE major liability in multiple games - Eagles notable among them.  He wasn't playing the scheme well - too much freelancing which did get him sacks but killed the Bills on runs.

Edited by BobChalmers

Jordan Phillips was actually quite brutal against the run. His gap discipline was generally lousy, and he missed a TON of tackles.

Star will be a loss. He doesn’t make flash plays, but he’s a consistent tackler and plays with gap integrity.That said, Butler, Jefferson, and Harry will do fine.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, todd said:

Jordan Phillips was overrated IMHO. He did a good job, but many of his sacks came where he was unblocked. They were inflated. He's an OK run-stopper, but nothing someone else can't do. 

I was disagree in that he wasn't very good at stopping he run. He was better rushing the passer or splitting gaps. Watch eagles game again.

The 2019 Buffalo Bills' rushing defense in context

In the 2019 regular season, the Buffalo Bills allowed over 100 yards a game—103.1 to be precise. The league average was 112.9 yards per game. The Bills were the tenth-best team in the league at stopping the run.   Mar 13, 2020

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/3/13/21174101/opinion-buffalo-bills-dont-need-to-fix-run-defense#:~:text=The 2019 Buffalo Bills' rushing,league at stopping the run.  

Harrison Phillips coming off a torn ACL at his weight , I'll have to hope for the best

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

We're just all assuming that cant be his real name. 

I just had to look it up ?

Starlite Lotulelei Jr. is a Tongan professional American football defensive tackle

Jordan Phillips, while very disruptive in the passing game was somewhat of a liability in run defense.  Ed Oliver, in Phillips' 3 tech position is a better run  defender despite his smaller stature, and is every bit as disruptive as an interior pass rusher.  Lotulelei is more of a run defender than a pass rusher, but Harrison is solid against the run, and Butler, I think, is fine against the run, and both of them offer more in the way of a pass rush.  I'm not worried about run defense slipping this season.

11 hours ago, LB48 said:

Jordan Phillips may have made too much noise for the coaches but he could pressure on the QB and disrupt the opponents defense.

At 325 lbs and with agility he was a force.

Jordan Philips was a weakness for the defense.  He made plays yes but allowed more plays by being out of position and hurt run defense.

8 hours ago, todd said:

Jordan Phillips was overrated IMHO. He did a good job, but many of his sacks came where he was unblocked. They were inflated. He's an OK run-stopper, but nothing someone else can't do. 

I’ll take those overrated sacks every year lol 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LB48 said:

We don't have that big man in the middle that can plug gaps and take on double teams.  Star was responsible for that but under appreciated by Bills fans.  He made it easier for the rest of the DL to make plays by plugging up the middle.  Jordan Phillips may have made too much noise for the coaches but he could pressure on the QB and disrupt the opponents defense.

At 325 lbs and with agility he was a force.

Now the Bills are bringing in FA & undrafted DT 's looking for someone to do the same job.  It's an obvious concern for the coaches with just 2 weeks before the season begins..

Maybe a draft choice trade to get the big DT to Buffalo?

You do realize that

- Our first overall pick was at this position last year

- We brought in SEVERAL veteran DT's to complete for spots here

- Horrible Harry is back....and was starting to take reps away from Star anyway

- Several of our DL players who will def make the team have scheme flex from DE to DT

- We used our top draft pick this yer on a player that has scheme flex

21 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I’ll take those overrated sacks every year lol 

At the expense of run stop?

13 hours ago, Big Gun said:

No, Bills will be fine.

On Friday, the Buffalo Bills kept their free agent workout training rolling. According to the NFL’s transaction wire, the Bills worked out four players, all of which were defensive tackles. The most prominent name on the list was Akeem Spence.

A former fourth-round pick of the Bucs in 2013, Spence has also played the Lions, Jaguars, Dolphins and Eagles. In 103 NFL games, the 28-year-old has 10.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss.

Is all really OK?