Fitzmagic vs T-Mobile

Fitz embraced the city of buffalo. Still does.   Says it’s his favorite city he played.   Plus he is charismatic and funny as hell.   Tyrod is a pro but super serious and does not really open up publicly. That’s it really.  Other than that I think fans in general appreciate both but are also not sad they have moved on.  

On 8/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, MJS said:

All true, but Tyrod also kept the team in games by not turning the ball over. You just couldn't ask him to go out and win it for you.

But W/L isn't even close. Fitz had a TERRIBLE W/L record as a Bill. In close games, who knows, but there's no way that it bridges the gap. Fitz was at his worst in close games and key moments. Guarenteed pick.

Not turning it over only keeps you in games with a good running game and solid defense.

Both seem like great people in the IRL (redundant, see redundant)

The 2011 season ended up being a kick in the groin, but we'll always have that Week 3 win over the Pats.

As much as Fitz would go full gunslinger (without the gun) and try some CRAZY things... it's like the young guy we have now, except the young guy has the cannon arm.

Tyrod was far too cautious. I work with a guy who is a Hokies fan from VA, and he loves every present and past player. I had to explain the "Tyrod special". You know the one where your quarterback throws for 98 yards. And yes I know it 134 yards in a playoff game against a formidable Jaguars defense, but come on, man.

I think Fitz could have made magic here with the team they have now. That 2011 era vintage was fun in a Bad News Bears sort of way, as in a not-very good group of misfits who won (and broke) our hearts. With the contract they gave him (prematurely), they had to move on from him. But it's unfortunate because he was already regarded as a top shelf teammate, whether the starter or the backup, and we could have used him at the beginning for Josh. Glad they stumbled upon Barkley along the way, so it worked out regardless.

I never wanted TT from the start, that style of offense was so not entertaining. When we would get down in a game and it was up to Taylor to bring you back on his arm it was over. 

I wish Fitz had the offensive weapons that we have right now. Fitz is a gamer, he plays the game the right way and looks genuinely pissed off when his team loses. If Fitz had a little more arm strength and a little more accuracy he would fall into that tier of QB that can win you a SB with a good defense. His film study and QB intelligence was off the charts. His personality is as good as it gets. If I had my choice to golf with TT, Allen or Fitz I would choose Fitz.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, billvernsays said:

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not. 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didn’t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV “If we don’t get this one it’s over” Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didn’t convert.

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most. ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought. 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen, and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why there’s a disparity but perhaps I’m just oblivious. 

I think T-mobile needed to save something for a sprint...

One was white...the other was black...

On 8/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, Mickey said:

A bit revisionist I think. Plenty of people wanted Fitz out of Buffalo and were not shy about voicing their conviction that the Bills were wasting his time with him as their QB. That having been said, Tyrod is an introvert and so he was just never able to connect with fans who respected his play.

Agreed. Fitz legacy actually seems to

have been more propped up here after the fact because he’s been around so long.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

I think Tyrod had heart. He took big hits and got up and kept playing. 

he also helped break the curse. He’s a Bills legend for that. 

Fitzy threw a lots of picks, but he had his moments too. Overall, Tyrod was better. 

Tyrod played on much better teams , with much better weapons

Fitz took hella shots and always got back up . Made Stevie Johnson a three-time thousand-yard receiver, and always played like it was his last game

Both are system guys, but I would take Ryan Fitzpatrick at his best over tyrod Taylor anyday

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Fitz was part of a time where the team was such a joke he helped made the time fun and had some success. I have routinely said he never got the talent/coaching around him to have enhanced his play. When he was in Houston with talent they made the playoffs and he won 10 games in NYJ. He was a very personal guy, but his contract was the killer here. Buffalo was better off with him as the placeholder in 2013 for EJ or a different QB to wait under but he wouldn’t take a pay cut and thought he could start which he did. Fitz literally

showed his ceiling in NYJ/HOU which was 9-10 wins an playoffs but like others have said the game he throws 5 TDs the next it was 5 INTs. He was fun but very reckless which fans loved.

Tyrod was a better QB but far less vocal and by 2015 the expectations were much higher. I think with a good coach and talent you could win 12 games because he could Alex Smith a team. He never had competent coaching until McD and what a surprise he wasn’t exciting and even though it was the least talented team of his 3 they made the dance. People forget he was 8-6 in 15 and 22-21 in Buffalo overall. Fitz wasn’t even close to that. I loved Tyrod and wish he was the dude but he was a bridge starter who would eventually leave you wanting more.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I never wanted TT from the start, that style of offense was so not entertaining. When we would get down in a game and it was up to Taylor to bring you back on his arm it was over. 

I wish Fitz had the offensive weapons that we have right now. Fitz is a gamer, he plays the game the right way and looks genuinely pissed off when his team loses. If Fitz had a little more arm strength and a little more accuracy he would fall into that tier of QB that can win you a SB with a good defense. His film study and QB intelligence was off the charts. His personality is as good as it gets. If I had my choice to golf with TT, Allen or Fitz I would choose Fitz.

You had me until the last sentence.

Earlier you said, "If Fitz had a little more arm strength and a little more accuracy he would fall into that tier of QB that can win you a SB with a good defense." You just described Josh. Maybe his QB intelligence isn't off the charts, but he's smart and eager to learn, and his arm strength and accuracy (yes, even his accuracy) are as good as Fitz's.

• 1 month later...

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not. 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didn’t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV “If we don’t get this one it’s over” Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didn’t convert.

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most. ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought. 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen, and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why there’s a disparity but perhaps I’m just oblivious. 

You still oblivious ?    It would take Taylor 2 years to match Fitz’s numbers today 

I would agree with all of this.  I would also add that I think Fitzpatrick overachieved, whereas Tyrod underachieved.  The teams that Tyrod was QB on had considerably more talent on offense than Fitz.  

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You still oblivious ?    It would take Taylor 2 years to match Fitz’s numbers today 

I also think Fitz is actually a much better QB today than he was with us. I don’t believe most Bills fans understand that either. We had a lesser Fitz than the one who has played in recent years. 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

I also think Fitz is actually a much better QB today than he was with us. I don’t believe most Bills fans understand that either. We had a lesser Fitz than the one who has played in recent years. 

He will still never take a team to the playoffs... So doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

idk about all that.       He’s still gonna stink it up with an INT fest here and there.   

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

He will still never take a team to the playoffs... So doesn't matter.

I agree, but I don’t think he was very good here at all, contrary to memories of Bills fans. He’s a better QB to my eyes than he was in Buffalo. His Buffalo tenure is vastly overrated. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2