Oops....Dolphins lose Rookie Weaver to browns

BillsMafi$

The #Browns have claimed rookie pass rusher Curtis Weaver off waivers from the #Dolphins, source said. 

Miami waived its fifth-round pick as injured with the intention of putting him on IR. Instead, a fresh start.

-Tom Pelissero

Edited by BillsMafi$
  • Haha (+1) 9

oh that guy, lots of sacks at Boise State but fell to the fifth round #164 pick

per wikipedia

After redshirting his first year at Boise State in 2016, Weaver played in all 14 games in 2017, recording 33 tackles, 11 sacks and one interception.[1] As a redshirt sophomore in 2018, he had 43 tackles and 9.5 sacks.[2][3] During his redshirt junior year in 2019, he set the Mountain West Conference record for career sacks. and was Mountain West Conf defensive player of the year 4] ....After this season, Weaver announced that he would forgo his final year of eligibility and enter the 2020 NFL Draft.[5]

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wow. What an absolute mess. They didn't have to waive him to IR him surely?

I don’t get it either. He wasn’t coming back this year so why not just IR him

I just looked it up, apparently they had to wait until 9/5 to IR him without the waiver process. Seems like they could have done that for a draft pick. Oops is right 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wow. What an absolute mess. They didn't have to waive him to IR him surely?

The only reasonable explanation for what the fish did is they probably hoped he would clear waiver and then go to IR.

This way they could fill his roster spot with another player immediately.

Pretty stupid unless they already knew they would cut him.

• Like (+1) 1

I love dogging on the fish as much as anyone, but Miami had to expose him to waivers in order to claim the roster spot. Only after he cleared waivers could they place him on IR, as a non vested player has to clear waivers first.

Its not usual for a team to take a chance on a player thats injured & claim them off waivers, as they'll have to pay him while being injured & Weaver's likely out for the whole year. Looks like they were simply rolling the dice & lost out on an intriguing prospect for the future.

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t get it either. He wasn’t coming back this year so why not just IR him

I just looked it up, apparently they had to wait until 9/5 to IR him without the waiver process. Seems like they could have done that for a draft pick. Oops is right 

Thats like 2 weeks from now... losing a fairly likely 2021 53 man roster candidate for no reason is really stupid.  Odds are its not a really big deal though so whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Thats like 2 weeks from now... losing a fairly likely 2021 53 man roster candidate for no reason is really stupid.  Odds are its not a really big deal though so whatever.

Maybe they didn’t like him enough to not take the risk? 

• Like (+1) 1

Along with AJ Epenesa and Donovan Peoples-Jones, Weaver was the other prospect who fell significantly in the draft that I was most surprised about. He had some legit 1st round buzz for a while, but I think he fell victim to some of the same combine pitfalls that got AJ. Not a bendy/twitchy athletic type at all, but a super productive college pass rusher with really good technique and football IQ. 

Who knows what kind of player he becomes in the pros, but a good upside move for the Browns and happy to see the Dolphins lose him. Wonder if Beane put in a claim or at least thought about it? We don't really have any roster spots to spare but Hughes/Addison etc ain't getting any younger...

3 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Along with AJ Epenesa and Donovan Peoples-Jones, Weaver was the other prospect who fell significantly in the draft that I was most surprised about. He had some legit 1st round buzz for a while, but I think he fell victim to some of the same combine pitfalls that got AJ. Not a bendy/twitchy athletic type at all, but a super productive college pass rusher with really good technique and football IQ. 

Who knows what kind of player he becomes in the pros, but a good upside move for the Browns and happy to see the Dolphins lose him. Wonder if Beane put in a claim or at least thought about it? We don't really have any roster spots to spare but Hughes/Addison etc ain't getting any younger...

This is too easy!  Dorsey will be gone after another miserable Browns season and the new GM will cut him.  Beane will bring him in for a look for peanuts.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

I love dogging on the fish as much as anyone, but Miami had to expose him to waivers in order to claim the roster spot. Only after he cleared waivers could they place him on IR, as a non vested player has to clear waivers first.

Its not usual for a team to take a chance on a player thats injured & claim them off waivers, as they'll have to pay him while being injured & Weaver's likely out for the whole year. Looks like they were simply rolling the dice & lost out on an intriguing prospect for the future.

Are we certain about this?  If your first round draft pick tears an ACL you have to waiver him in order to put him on IR?  That doesn’t sound right to me.  I think that’s only true before a certain date.

Are you kidding me?!? Wow !That's quite a blunder . I mean imagine Buf losing Milano,Neal , Vosean Joseph , all recent 5th rounders for something like this.  Milano is a stud but Neal is a very valuable role player on D and Joseph was injured but def has potential.  

That's absolutely embarrassing for Dolphins F.O

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

Sounds like it’s unclear at this point whether the Dolphins or the Browns have messed up. We shall see,