Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Penfield45

What do you make of these stats highlights how poor our offense was last season?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not gonna hate on Allen for his game winning drives. but our offense seriously needs to step up next season. We have a SB winning caliber defense with an offense than can barely score more than 2 TD's per game. 

 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It means we were 10-6 and went to the post season, and, wait, we are favored to win the division this season, so we got that going for us...

 

Yes the O needs to step up, but all of us already knew that... next...

 

Go Bills!!!

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one way to interpret the data.

 

No matter how you slice it, game winning drives are good.

  • Like (+1) 12
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

 

 

I'm not gonna hate on Allen for his game winning drives. but our offense seriously needs to step up next season. We have a SB winning caliber defense with an offense than can barely score more than 2 TD's per game. 

 

People keep saying we have a SB winning defense..yet our defense choked in the 2nd half of the wild card game to stop the Texans.  They gave up 19 straight points.   Giving up that 3rd and eternity to the RB by everyone running past the down marker is not the mark of a championship caliber defense.    This defense still does not have the necessary pass rush and also leaks like a bucket against the running game...It still needs a lot of work not withstanding the gaudy numbers on points and yards.

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's one way to interpret the data.

 

No matter how you slice it, game winning drives are good.

Allen's clutchhhhh!!!! Always feels like something special is going to happen with the ball in his hand:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I make that they are comments from a bitter Jets fan..


MiA, PIt and the Jets beat a few teams last year too..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big play a game to Diggs or Brown would change those numbers. Hitting an open Diggs on 3rd downs will keep scoring drives alive. A more consistent running game with 2 strong RB's will help.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 of those 4 games came early in the season when we were still working our offense out.  Our first three game of offense was terrible but isn’t it common knowledge that the first weeks of the season have the weirdest results.  
 

I wouldn’t say we took the whole game to put Mia away as we took a lead we wouldn’t relinquish with ~1 min into the 4th quarter (we just played super bad in the first half).

 

lastly the Steelers game was a comedy of errors on offense.  I recommend the cover 1 breakdown.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The offense was bad against the better teams/defenses of the league... not going to work against a much harder schedule than the cupcake schedule last season.

 

Disagree with him that he was surrounded with good or decent pass catchers. Not even close.

 

 

44 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

3 of those 4 games came early in the season when we were still working our offense out.  Our first three game of offense was terrible but isn’t it common knowledge that the first weeks of the season have the weirdest results.  
 

I wouldn’t say we took the whole game to put Mia away as we took a lead we wouldn’t relinquish with ~1 min into the 4th quarter (we just played super bad in the first half).

 

lastly the Steelers game was a comedy of errors on offense.  I recommend the cover 1 breakdown.  

Actually wrong.

 

I thought one of their best offensive performances came against the Giants in week 2.... the offense did not get better as the season went along.

47 minutes ago, klos63 said:

A big play a game to Diggs or Brown would change those numbers. Hitting an open Diggs on 3rd downs will keep scoring drives alive. A more consistent running game with 2 strong RB's will help.

A more consistent QB....

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't need stats to tell me that the O has to get better. Another 6-7 points a game, and we're in business!

 

But 4th quarter comebacks do mean something, regardless of whether the score is (Bills) 7 - (Opponents) 13 or 35-41. Either way, it shows that Josh doesn't wilt down the stretch. He thrives under the pressure of the closing minutes. But @ScottLaw is right. He needs to spread that out over the whole game.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense was bad against the better teams/defenses of the league... not going to work against a much harder schedule than the cupcake schedule last season.

 

Disagree with him that he was surrounded with good or decent pass catchers. Not even close.

 

 

Actually wrong.

 

I thought one of their best offensive performances came against the Giants in week 2.... the offense did not get better as the season went along.

A more consistent QB....

Fair that 1st half against the Giants was good (forgot how good) but second half was bad. As to the offense not getting better that ludicrous. 2 of the first 3 weeks were that ridiculous jets game and the Cincinnati game. 
Dallas was a not bad def and we ate their turkey. Against the Steelers we had costly turnovers (interception off beasleys hands and singeltary fumble) in Pitt territory. Hell look at our divisional games. We struggled with Mia at home and we smoked them the second time on the road. We played the patriots better the second time again in the road. So I think it clearly got better. 
Agree though that we were fortunate to have a cup cake schedule particularly early in the season. Not sure we beat Dallas or Pitt if we play them early in the year. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for nothing, but I’d rather my guy comes through in the clutch than a Stafford type putting up gaudy numbers that mean nothing by the time the final whistle blows because he couldn’t make it happen late...of course, putting both together even better, and we will see more of that this year imho. 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Fair that 1st half against the Giants was good (forgot how good) but second half was bad. As to the offense not getting better that ludicrous. 2 of the first 3 weeks were that ridiculous jets game and the Cincinnati game. 
Dallas was a not bad def and we ate their turkey. Against the Steelers we had costly turnovers (interception off beasleys hands and singeltary fumble) in Pitt territory. Hell look at our divisional games. We struggled with Mia at home and we smoked them the second time on the road. We played the patriots better the second time again in the road. So I think it clearly got better. 
Agree though that we were fortunate to have a cup cake schedule particularly early in the season. Not sure we beat Dallas or Pitt if we play them early in the year. 

Without the drops I believe we beat the Ravens

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ganesh said:

People keep saying we have a SB winning defense..yet our defense choked in the 2nd half of the wild card game to stop the Texans.  They gave up 19 straight points.   Giving up that 3rd and eternity to the RB by everyone running past the down marker is not the mark of a championship caliber defense.    This defense still does not have the necessary pass rush and also leaks like a bucket against the running game...It still needs a lot of work not withstanding the gaudy numbers on points and yards.

 

 

The reason people keep saying we have a SB-winning quality defense ... is that we do. Not the best in the NFL or anything, but yeah, a top five sort of defense.

 

Nobody said we had a perfect defense. If you look through the record of the absolute best defenses in history you will still find bad quarters, bad halves and bad games. That's the way these things work.

 

A quick example is the '85 Bears, arguably the gold standard, who allowed 38 points to the Dolphins offense and 28 points to the Bucs offense, and the Bucs won a total of two games that year, they were horrendous, 21st of 28 in scoring.

 

The Bills defense is unquestionably excellent. Do they need to continue working hard and improving? Yeah, of course. So does everyone, always, on a team aiming for a Lombardi. The offense is the one that needs serious improvement for this team to threaten.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, klos63 said:

A big play a game to Diggs or Brown would change those numbers. Hitting an open Diggs on 3rd downs will keep scoring drives alive. A more consistent running game with 2 strong RB's will help.

 
Klos, you beat me to it when I read Ganesh’s comments, and Ganesh I understand you’re frustration.  The reply is we now have most likely a more explosive RB in Moss complimenting Motor.  We had Gore and used him for his experience, but he was out of gas so stopped our drives in the second half.  Singletary was chewing up chunks of yards in the first half.  As a result, drives were stopping, amd kept letting their offense to get back in the game.  Any top defense will get tased if they have to be ion the field the majority of the time.  As Klos said, we also have Diggs to make plays and open up Brown and Beasley for plays.  Lastly, we have an O Line primarily returning minus the Feliciano loss, so that will also make it easier for Allen to throw to the open guy, and for Motor and Moss to Break through holes.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Without the drops I believe we beat the Ravens


Funny, how we were so close to beating the 14-2 Ravens (they had their worst performance of their season and TN tried to replicate our game plan on defense in their playoff loss), we keep our starters in week 17, and we are 11-5.  We blew it on one play in the first Patriots game with a botched snap for a punt, and BB picked up on we were almost caught and weeks 1 and 2 when the Jets brought 9 on a punt, and the Giants brought 10.  Our stupid ST coach didn’t adjust the gunners to move in when they overloaded.  That’s not as much a crappy offense as it is bad coaching in those instances.  There is no argument our offense has to pay better, WR’s need to catch the damn ball, and Allen has to improve in his accuracy.  It’s not fair to say every problem we have is Allen.  It’s not.  It’s a number of things, but a, cautiously confident we’ll improve in these matters this year.

 

I can’t underscore enough we have 88%, #1 in the league returning snaps.  Even if you subtract Star, but add Diggs, all of those defensive lineman, etc.  we should come out fast in September and October.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

3 of those 4 games came early in the season when we were still working our offense out.  Our first three game of offense was terrible but isn’t it common knowledge that the first weeks of the season have the weirdest results.  
 

I wouldn’t say we took the whole game to put Mia away as we took a lead we wouldn’t relinquish with ~1 min into the 4th quarter (we just played super bad in the first half).

 

lastly the Steelers game was a comedy of errors on offense.  I recommend the cover 1 breakdown.  

The steelers also have a great pass rush and our OL didn't adjust.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s impossible to put it on 1 guy but I’m going to repeat what I said, every week of last season: 

 

(First off) Beane has been amazing and he’s got so much equity built up with me that one mistake is nothing. But it was inexcusable to ever sign Frank Gore last year and even worse to constantly activate him for games. The fact that he got several carries in big spots is incomprehensible. The guy had been completely done for at least 3 years before he got to Buffalo. I will give him that he was solid in the Patriots game. But that in no way covers the rest of the season for me. This guy absolutely killed our momentum on so many occasions. No matter what we had going, Dabol could not help himself but to get Gore the ball early on downs and put us in a big hole. The entire thing was self inflicted for absolutely no reason. It was maddening to know that we had other RBs (in house) that would have given us so much more as a spell to Singletary. I am not sure how anyone alive could watch this team and not notice how shot this guys legs were. Somehow the only guy who couldn’t see it, was the offensive coordinator for the Bills. 
 

Holes were there. You could see that clearly anytime Singletary touched the ball. And don't get me wrong, I don’t blame Frank Gore. It’s not his fault he got old. It happens to all of us. And if someone wants to keep paying him, power to the guy. There was just no reason for us to ever have him here in the first place. You want him on the roster as a mentor to Singletary? I can live with that. Make him inactive and dress Yeldon then. In my eyes though (in this league) there is never a reason to pay, or even have an old running back...ever. I’m so happy that the Bills drafted Moss this year. I can’t wait to see what this offense looks like with 2 guys that can run. I know this wasn’t the only flaw our offense had last year but to me it was by far the biggest. Thankfully it got fixed over the offseason.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...