What do you make of these stats highlights how poor our offense was last season?

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense was bad against the better teams/defenses of the league... not going to work against a much harder schedule than the cupcake schedule last season.

I guess i got to look at both schedules again but off the top of my head I don't see a huge difference. 

We finished last season with a murders row of tough defenses. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England all in succession. Replace Baltimore with the 49ers for 2020. Overall I guess there are some better teams on paper like Seattle and Kansas City. 

The big questions mark will be New England. They had a historically great defense last year. It's why we couldn't beat them even once when their offense was below average. This year seems much more likely to at least get a split with them. They lost some key defensive pieces and even if they returned everyone from the defense it's just hard to duplicate back to back great years especially takeaways. 

I think we end up losing to the Cardinals in Arizona. I can see it already. That's going to be a tough game for us. 

The 2 biggest problems on offense were Gore as the #1 RB and the merry go round of Duke/Zay/whoever as the #2 WR. Adding Moss and Diggs solves both of those problems on day one. The 3rd biggest problem will be solved if Allen becomes more consistent which remains to be seen. If he does, there's no reason our offense can't be near the same level as our defense this year.

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

People keep saying we have a SB winning defense..yet our defense choked in the 2nd half of the wild card game to stop the Texans.  They gave up 19 straight points.   Giving up that 3rd and eternity to the RB by everyone running past the down marker is not the mark of a championship caliber defense.    This defense still does not have the necessary pass rush and also leaks like a bucket against the running game...It still needs a lot of work not withstanding the gaudy numbers on points and yards.

Shhhh. Nobody wants to hear that on this board.  

That said, the defense will get better when the offense puts more points on the board early. That will force more passing by the opponent making them a bit easier to defend and increase turnover opportunities. And in turn a few more turnovers will give the offense more short field scoring chances.  

As you said, they need more pass rush. Whether that is by scheme or the new guys they brought in or Oliver getting better they need to figure out a way to get more sacks, strip sacks, and pressures.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

My bias? 

I like Josh a hell of a lot more than Tyrod and Fitz, but to this point a Josh Allen offense hasn't produced MORE than what Tyrod and that offense did in 2015 and 2016.... I acknowledge his ceiling is way higher.

People love to throw out the game winning drives as a predictor of success. Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow led the league in 4th quarter comebacks too early in their careers.

Eh, you are changing your original statement. All good. Fitz and Tyrod couldn’t win a game when it counted. They are classic choke artists, Tyrod more so. Fitz had a couple nice come from behind games against NE and Oakland one year. Other than that I am struggling to recall him leading the team down the field in the fourth quarter to win a game. Fitz and Tyrod never led the Bills offense into some juggernaut who didn’t need to score points late to win. Bringing up irrelevant names isn’t germane to this discussion.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/8/2020 at 7:11 PM, Don Otreply said:

It means we were 10-6 and went to the post season, and, wait, we are favored to win the division this season, so we got that going for us...

Yes the O needs to step up, but all of us already knew that... next...

Go Bills!!!

copy that

I’ve always viewed the 2nd half defensive collapse against the Texans as an inability to adjust to a “running” Deshaun Watson.  The first half of the game we seemed to contain him and the Texans were content to keep him in the pocket.  The second half was a different story where he was running more and breaking out of the pocket.  

The Bills offense needs to score more points.  Yeah the defense muffed up against the Texans but you're not going to win many playoff games scoring one touchdown and a handful of FGs.  Also, I look at this playoff loss as one of those losses that almost every pro team experiences before becoming a good team.  The Bills should be focused and determined.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it’s impossible to put it on 1 guy but I’m going to repeat what I said, every week of last season: 

(First off) Beane has been amazing and he’s got so much equity built up with me that one mistake is nothing. But it was inexcusable to ever sign Frank Gore last year and even worse to constantly activate him for games. The fact that he got several carries in big spots is incomprehensible. The guy had been completely done for at least 3 years before he got to Buffalo. I will give him that he was solid in the Patriots game. But that in no way covers the rest of the season for me. This guy absolutely killed our momentum on so many occasions. No matter what we had going, Dabol could not help himself but to get Gore the ball early on downs and put us in a big hole. The entire thing was self inflicted for absolutely no reason. It was maddening to know that we had other RBs (in house) that would have given us so much more as a spell to Singletary. I am not sure how anyone alive could watch this team and not notice how shot this guys legs were. Somehow the only guy who couldn’t see it, was the offensive coordinator for the Bills. 

Holes were there. You could see that clearly anytime Singletary touched the ball. And don't get me wrong, I don’t blame Frank Gore. It’s not his fault he got old. It happens to all of us. And if someone wants to keep paying him, power to the guy. There was just no reason for us to ever have him here in the first place. You want him on the roster as a mentor to Singletary? I can live with that. Make him inactive and dress Yeldon then. In my eyes though (in this league) there is never a reason to pay, or even have an old running back...ever. I’m so happy that the Bills drafted Moss this year. I can’t wait to see what this offense looks like with 2 guys that can run. I know this wasn’t the only flaw our offense had last year but to me it was by far the biggest. Thankfully it got fixed over the offseason.

Agree in principle.  The reason Gore was on the field early:

* Singletary was not ready early in the season

* Singletary was injured early in the season 

* Singletary and Yeldon had ball securing issues

As the season went on, the coin did get flipped.  I think we should blame Daboll more for not involving Singletary late in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

So Watson Brees and Wilson are ahead of Allen for 4th quarter comebacks since 18

But they trash Allen because the offense only scored 18 points per game in those comebacks?

I guess being good in the 4th quarter only means you suck if you're Josh Allen

On 8/8/2020 at 10:01 PM, Penfield45 said:

I'm not gonna hate on Allen for his game winning drives. but our offense seriously needs to step up next season. We have a SB winning caliber defense with an offense than can barely score more than 2 TD's per game. 

Singletary missing the first half of the season was a bigger deal than people realize. 

No excuse for the O as a whole.  But when your RB1 is Frank Gore.  And don't forget the mentality of the coaches was no doubt to win, but also do so while developing this "project" QB. 

We've sure come a long way from suicidal on draft night to nitpicking his 4th quarter comebacks.

Just more context re last year.  We played the Patriots twice.  The Ravens.  The Steelers.  Those were the elite defenses in the NFL that had truly impressive seasons.  And we were better in the 2nd game vs New England and it was at their place.  We figured out the Ravens a little bit in the 4th quarter.  And we beat that Steelers D that was red hot, in Pittsburgh.  

Take out those games and the finale vs the Jets and our O averaged 22 points per game in the others.  The Steelers and 49ers will be the only defenses close to what we saw last year.  Allen is further developed.  Diggs.  Better RB situation.  No reason to not be extremely optimistic.  

Get that 22 ppg to 27 and we'll be just fine.   

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

So Watson Brees and Wilson are ahead of Allen for 4th quarter comebacks since 18

But they trash Allen because the offense only scored 18 points per game in those comebacks?

I guess being good in the 4th quarter only means you suck if you're Josh Allen

The clutch gene, imo, is real. Wilson was actually questioned the same way his first 2 years. "Yea he has loads of game winning drives but easier to pull them off when your defense has held the opposition to 13 points." 

But as the Seattle D began to crumble Wilson kept pulling out 4th Quarter comebacks. He isn't pulling out 17-13 wins now it is 30-27 wins. That doesn't guarantee Josh will be the same (Wilson is freaking brilliant) but I think it is possible that the story is similar. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The clutch gene, imo, is real. Wilson was actually questioned the same way his first 2 years. "Yea he has loads of game winning drives but easier to pull them off when your defense has held the opposition to 13 points." 

But as the Seattle D began to crumble Wilson kept pulling out 4th Quarter comebacks. He isn't pulling out 17-13 wins now it is 30-27 wins. That doesn't guarantee Josh will be the same (Wilson is freaking brilliant) but I think it is possible that the story is similar. 

Wilson is a HoFr and criminally underrated

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes this is a fair comparison. Tyrod started what? All of two games his first two years in the league? ??

And the fact that Tyrod wasn't good enough to beat out a very inconsistent Joe Flacco was a great deal of the reason why he didn't start more.

And when people say that, some howl, "no, they were paying Flacco too much to sit him." Not buying it, nor should anyone. When one QB is clearly better than another one, NFL teams generally very quickly start to wonder why the better guy isn't starting. By all accounts Tyrod didn't outplay Flacco, except with his running, which meant the Ravens didn't have a reason to think about making a change.

So it is indeed a fair comparison. (Or at least as fair as comparisons like this get. Situations are always different, there'll never be an equal playing field.) But comparing the much older and more experienced Fitz and Tyrod to Josh in his first two years is just as unfair. Josh has shown a ton more as far back as college than Fitz and Tyrod, which is why he was a first round pick and they weren't.

Edited by Thurman#1

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What does any of this have to do with the OP?

Sorry Scott if that confused you.  

Is there room for improvement?  Yes.

Did they make the playoffs?  Yes

Is there a good chance they make the playoffs this season (barring a cancelled season) Yes.

If it wasn't for the IMO, Idiotic play call on 4th and 15 and a dumb mistake by Josh ...

This conversation would be a whole lot different.  

As I have seen in this thread .....  Its just funny how Tyrod was praised for 4th QTR heroics 

But a 2nd year QB is somehow different? 

15-12-0