What do you make of these stats highlights how poor our offense was last season?

6 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Fair that 1st half against the Giants was good (forgot how good) but second half was bad. As to the offense not getting better that ludicrous. 2 of the first 3 weeks were that ridiculous jets game and the Cincinnati game. 
Dallas was a not bad def and we ate their turkey. Against the Steelers we had costly turnovers (interception off beasleys hands and singeltary fumble) in Pitt territory. Hell look at our divisional games. We struggled with Mia at home and we smoked them the second time on the road. We played the patriots better the second time again in the road. So I think it clearly got better. 
Agree though that we were fortunate to have a cup cake schedule particularly early in the season. Not sure we beat Dallas or Pitt if we play them early in the year. 

I think three of Josh's best performances were the first three weeks. He was 63% upwards in all 3 games, he was getting the ball out quickly and he threw for over 240 yards each week. Yes, he had as many total turnovers (5 - 3 int and 2 lost fumbles) as he did total touchdowns (also 5 - 3 passing, 2 rushing) but a lot of those turnovers were real freak plays. Those 3 games, plus Dallas and twice against Miami are the 6 games that I hang my hat on in being optimistic about Josh. If we could get that version of Josh Allen 12 times out of 16 rather than 6 times out of 16 in 2020 the Bills could be really, really good. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think three of Josh's best performances were the first three weeks. He was 63% upwards in all 3 games, he was getting the ball out quickly and he threw for over 240 yards each week. Yes, he had as many total turnovers (5 - 3 int and 2 lost fumbles) as he did total touchdowns (also 5 - 3 passing, 2 rushing) but a lot of those turnovers were real freak plays. Those 3 games, plus Dallas and twice against Miami are the 6 games that I hang my hat on in being optimistic about Josh. If we could get that version of Josh Allen 12 times out of 16 rather than 6 times out of 16 in 2020 the Bills could be really, really good. 

Have you rewatched Josh’s 2nd half of the playoff game?  While it seems to be almost universally accepted as fact that Josh “blew it” because of a couple of head scratchers, his receiving corps let him down BIG time.  He threw some absolute dimes that were dropped or misplayed.  I am super optimistic about his progression and think we’re in for a hell of a good time as Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, eball said:

Have you rewatched Josh’s 2nd half of the playoff game?  While it seems to be almost universally accepted as fact that Josh “blew it” because of a couple of head scratchers, his receiving corps let him down BIG time.  He threw some absolute dimes that were dropped or misplayed.  I am super optimistic about his progression and think we’re in for a hell of a good time as Bills fans.

I have watched every single game we played in 2019 back during lockdown. I thought Josh in the playoff game played very well in the first half (majorly let down by Brown and Duke) and inconsistently in the second half in a way that is sort of typical of a QB in his first playoff start who looks a bit over his skies at times. He certainly was not the main reason we lost that game. It was execution in big moments by Brown, Duke, Edmunds, Milano and the 3 blockers (Morse, Ford and Knox) out in front of that QB sweep. If any one of those 5 plays is made (and they were not 'difficult' plays in the context of an NFL game) then the Bills win. 

He has to get more consistent but there were half a dozen proper franchise QB performances in Josh Allen's 2019 season. If he can even just get that number to 10 in 2020 then we are very much on the right track. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would put the Denver game up there too for Josh. Conditions were miserable but he was still 60% and we kept a good lead most of the game. As I mentioned Steelers on the road would’ve been good if not for a few drops.

back to the original point I do think the offense got better as the season progressed and I don’t really see the case against it.   The giants game is about the only example to me. Conversely I think two games of improvement against divisional opponents on the road shows why they did improve. 

Do you think If we replaced our first three games with Denver Steelers and Dallas we would’ve won?  I really think the schedule makers did us a solid last year. 

5 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I would put the Denver game up there too for Josh. Conditions were miserable but he was still 60% and we kept a good lead most of the game. As I mentioned Steelers on the road would’ve been good if not for a few drops.

back to the original point I do think the offense got better as the season progressed and I don’t really see the case against it.   The giants game is about the only example to me. Conversely I think two games of improvement against divisional opponents on the road shows why they did improve. 

Do you think If we replaced our first three games with Denver Steelers and Dallas we would’ve won?  I really think the schedule makers did us a solid last year. 

Probably not with the turnovers, no and Dallas were hot early. But Pittsburgh started badly as did Denver so I see no reason why we wouldn't have won those games with the offensive performances we had against the Jets, Giants and Bengals. 

I don't think Josh played badly as such against the Broncos but it was one of those over cautious games that followed the New England turnovers. The defense played great and the Bills offense were in "don't screw it up" mode. That was a performance I expect any NFL starting QB to be capable of. 

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Probably not with the turnovers, no and Dallas were hot early. But Pittsburgh started badly as did Denver so I see no reason why we wouldn't have won those games with the offensive performances we had against the Jets, Giants and Bengals. 

I don't think Josh played badly as such against the Broncos but it was one of those over cautious games that followed the New England turnovers. The defense played great and the Bills offense were in "don't screw it up" mode. That was a performance I expect any NFL starting QB to be capable of. 

Yeah most QBs would get the job done against Denver considering they could only manage 3 points. I think it was the challenging wind conditions for why I thought Allen and offense had a pretty good day. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Didn't the Bills average 34 points against the Dolphins? What does this say about the Patriots and Eagles who lost to the Dolphins?  Also, if you are going to pick a sample of games where you have a game winning drive, by nature that sample is skewed to close games.  In this history of close games, very few could be characterized as one team putting away another team early.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyrod and Fitz had their moments here as has Josh early..... Not sure why people feel Josh is so much better than Tyrod and Fitz were here at this point in his career. It's just not true.

You are 100% wrong. Josh is 2 years into his career. What did Tyrod and Fitz do in their first two years in the league? 

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You are 100% wrong. Josh is 2 years into his career. What did Tyrod and Fitz do in their first two years in the league? 

Good point - here is a quick/rough glance at Tyrod Taylor's 1st two years in the NFL versus Josh Allen's:

Tyrod  --- 2011 (Baltimore Ravens)  3 games played in - 1 pass completion for 2 yards - one rush for 2 yards

2012 (Baltimore Ravens) 7 games played in - 17 completions for 179 yards - 14 rushes for 73 yard, one TD 

Josh - 2018 - 12 games - 169 completions for 2,074 yards & 10 TD's, 631 Yards rushing , 8 TD's

2019 -  16 games - 271 completions for 3,089 yards & 20 TD's, 510 Yards rushing , 9 TD's

So Josh is no better than Tyrod after two years in the league? I am no Josh Allen apologist - I have no idea if he will develop into the QB that we hope to see - but the assertion that he is the equivalent of Tyrod after two years is ridiculous. 

I think I'll look up Fitzy's stats next.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes this is a fair comparison. Tyrod started what? All of two games his first two years in the league? ??

Yes - I could have made the comparison simpler - Tyrod & Josh are not almost equivalents after two years because Tyrod had barely played at all at that point, and Josh is now a two year starter who has had some moderate success as the Bill's starting QB. .

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes this is a fair comparison. Tyrod started what? All of two games his first two years in the league? ??

Either way you look at it you are wrong or comparing something you can’t. Let’s see where Allen is in year 5 and 6. That’s when Tyrod and Fitz  showed up here, an unwanted FA. Tyrod and Fitz had average at best seasons with the Bills, and that was after 4 years of playing in the NFL. Jeesh man. Your bias shows through on this and makes you look highly ignorant. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ganesh said:

People keep saying we have a SB winning defense..yet our defense choked in the 2nd half of the wild card game to stop the Texans.  They gave up 19 straight points.   Giving up that 3rd and eternity to the RB by everyone running past the down marker is not the mark of a championship caliber defense.    This defense still does not have the necessary pass rush and also leaks like a bucket against the running game...It still needs a lot of work not withstanding the gaudy numbers on points and yards.

Shrugs. 

SF had what many considered the best D in the league last year and certainly one of the best pass rushes.

They had the Chiefs held to 10 points in the SB until the last 7 minutes. Then they gave up a 40 yard pass on a 3 and 15 and it was over. 21 points in 7 minutes.

It happens, even to great D's.

There are 2 ways to look at it.

Was it that SF's D needed more work? Or was it that..in the modern NFL, you can only hold a team down for so long, especially in the playoffs?

As far as the O goes, yeah, its no secret they have to get better. They got about as far as an O that scored 314 points can get.

They have to get better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense was bad against the better teams/defenses of the league... not going to work against a much harder schedule than the cupcake schedule last season.

Disagree with him that he was surrounded with good or decent pass catchers. Not even close.

Actually wrong.

I thought one of their best offensive performances came against the Giants in week 2.... the offense did not get better as the season went along.

A more consistent QB....

I think it was implied that Allen would be the one completing those passes this season better than he did last season.

I had to go back and check the box score for the Miami game becuase it sure didn't feel like there was a game winning drive in any of those two games. I knew we were down at the half in the first game. 

So the first game we trail 14-9 at halftime. Nobody scores for the entire 3rd quarter. Score still 14-9. Then Allen and the Bills score a 1:05 seconds into the fourth quarter to take a lead for good 17-14. By definition it is a game winning drive. But definitely doesn't feel like one.

The Jets game was just a joke of a game, first half really. Play that game again 10 times and Allen doesn't come close to turning the ball over 4 times in the first half. Pick six off of Beasely's hands. And for what it is worth that was probably the best team the Jets fielded for 3 quarters of football all season. 

I don't really have a problem with the Steelers game. We were going against a legitimate defense on the road that was playing for their season. Allen didn't have a pretty game but he didn't choke and cost us the game. It would have been interesting to see what Allen and the offense would have done had they trailed in that game by two scores at any point, but that wasn't the situation. And going against a great defense like the Steelers had it would have been a bad head coaching decision to tell the offense to push it. 

• Like (+1) 1