Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is because he has two choices. Leave his family in Louisiana and don't see them for 5 months or bringing his family to Buffalo but then require them to live an even more restricted version of life than most Americans are dealing with now to limit the risk of them exposing him and then him spreading to the team. McDermott and Beane both talked about it the other day. They have had families on the zoom calls explaining to them how it will affect them. If a player brings his family up to Buffalo with him he is basically forcing them into the sort of full lockdown scenario people were in during March and April. 

That makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Maybe I’m being a hopeless optimist, but I heard him talking today about it, and almost got the feeling when said something like he wanted to see how everything was set up and going to be run that maybe he was a bit more comfortable but wanted to discuss w his wife. Totally understandable if he does opt out as much as it will sting being a fan. But have all the respect in the world for these guys and the sometimes agonizing decision they have to make. Hope he plays but if not I support and respect his choice to not fully!! 
Plus as a side note, if he opts out he is pushing his free agency riches down the road an extra year and with the cap uncertainty upcoming, may actually be beneficial to the Bills money wise long term. JMO. 

For the most part it seemed like he was talking about the thoughts that were going into his decision worst thing I heard was about the false positives everything else he probably had an idea of going in and the Bills seem to be pretty prepared as far they can be.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You actually can if a vaccine comes along.

There are documented cases of people receiving the flu vaccine each year who still fall prey to that virus in one way or another.  No matter what happens, one cannot assure immunity from a virus, be it corona, influenza, or otherwise.   

It's not a realistic alternative right now or during the next pandemic to spend months in one's house cut off from outside contact in hopes of avoiding the virus.   

These players have a right to opt out consistent with the CBA and NFL's guidelines.  Does'nt mean it's proportional to the situation at hand. 

Edited by BillsVet

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

There are documented cases of people receiving the flu vaccine each year who still fall prey to that virus in one way or another.  No matter what happens, one cannot assure immunity from a virus, be it corona, influenza, or otherwise.   

It's not a realistic alternative right now or during the next pandemic to spend months in one's house cut off from outside contact in hopes of avoiding the virus.   

These players have a right to opt out consistent with the CBA and NFL's guidelines.  Does'nt mean it's proportional to the situation at hand. 

Flu vaccine is different. There are many different variations of the flu, and the vaccine only protects against one or two.  The same wouldn't be true of COVID. 

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is because he has two choices. Leave his family in Louisiana and don't see them for 5 months or bringing his family to Buffalo but then require them to live an even more restricted version of life than most Americans are dealing with now to limit the risk of them exposing him and then him spreading to the team. McDermott and Beane both talked about it the other day. They have had families on the zoom calls explaining to them how it will affect them. If a player brings his family up to Buffalo with him he is basically forcing them into the sort of full lockdown scenario people were in during March and April. 

First his choice but I hope he plays.

Many people in the service are separated from their families for an extended period time.  Not pleasant but it happens.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

So he showed up and decided to be around literally hundreds of people in the building, but now is concerned about doing what is right for his family....

Tre said in the video that it was mostly about his family. If he plays the season, his wife and kids would be isolated here alone in Western New York and away form their extended family. 

In essence, his family would be in a "bubble" away from their loved ones and a great portion of that time HE would not be there either.

For what it is worth, Tre has the financial security that allows him to make a choice and he may very well choose his family over his whinny, demanding, and sometime demeaning FANS.

I respect the hell out of him for his concern.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, elroy16 said:

He's got a little kid, I get it. The idea of staying away for 5 months would be incredibly difficult, as is knowing you are potentially exposing your loved ones to a disease we don't fully understand. 

My daughter is in daycare for the first time today because I have to start going back to work. Scares the crap out of me. If she ends up with some sort of life long health issues because of this, I'll never be able to forgive myself. 

I can't blame these guys, if they have kids or don't, for opting out. Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed though. 

I have kids. Do you realize how so few of them have been affected at all, and most super lightly, worldwide? The very very few bad cases have of course made news. Worry is normal but damn, probabilities are so low. Worry about your parents and sick folks, not healthy people under 60. Life is dangerous but we can't live in eternal  fear. Probabilities... they matter for perspective.

Edit: for Tre it might be the fact he would be separated from his family or them from their extended families & friends. Yeah it sucks, bad, but that's 5-6 months... and COULD be shorter. You'd really make your husband/father lose one year of a short career and all the perks that go with it for 5-6 months of discomfort? No easy answer but... that's not THAT great a sacrifice, even though it is one.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Seems we also have many with absolutely no connection to medicine making bold proclamations left and right, eh?

indeed but when someone starts with their qualifications I’m more apt to point it out 

13 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I have kids. Do you realize how so few of them have been affected at all, and most super lightly, worldwide?

Yeah, but then you realize some have also died. Do you really want to roll those dice? Rhetorically speaking, that's not really an open invite for the tough guy hoax screamers to proudly yell about how many places they'd be willing to take their children right now.

They can also carry the virus and give it to you, your mother, your innocent old neighbor minding her business, etc. and around and around we go for the 1000th time on this board.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find it comical that others are apparently so well off that working for a living is somehow now considered voluntary.

Well yeah that's exactly the case. It's certainly not a requirement for multimillionaires to entertain you.

Edited by Nelius
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Your family basically has to quarantine for five to six months if he wanted to see them and that's weighing on his mind.  He mentioned the false positive with Stafford and that had him freaked out.  The NFL's lack of a plan and pressure they're putting on these guys to make a big decision with a deadline sucks.

Can Bills Mafia come up with a #staytrestay hashtag on twitter?  Our cb's without him will do six feet of social distancing from the WR's on accident.

Can someone walk me through the expectation for players' families? 

What are they supposed to do or not do during the season?

4 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

This is ridiculous, I’m an ICU nurse and these players are the healthiest population and if they are concerned about their kids getting it they too aren’t susceptible to it. If anything the players need to stay away from their parents. Enough of this bs scare tactics. Most of the population has it or had it and they didn’t even know it. 

Brainwashed, "most of the population" would mean 165 million people.   Seroprevalence studies entirely fail to support your contention, by the way.

A contact tracing study of nearly 60,000 people in S. Korea found that when a 10-19 yr old was the index patient, they had a 1.6x higher attack rate. Outbreaks in various summer camps and in an Israeli high school appear to demonstrate incontrovertibly that kids are indeed, susceptible to it.  It is possible you mean something else than "susceptible to it" - unlikely to become seriously ill from it, perhaps?   Statistically, that last is true, but some who do become ill, become seriously ill indeed, as an ICU nurse I'm sure you can describe MIS-C.

Bottom line, if I were a multi-millionaire with a contractually negotiated right to opt out, I too could choose the level of risk I'm personally willing to accept.

PS Perhaps you should inject a few facts before complaining of "bs scare tactics".  When you say stuff that's just not true, the bs claim kind of boomerangs.  Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 hours ago, scribo said:

If he opts out, he is pushing back his big pay day. Hard to imagine that's not at least a factor.

We need him.

Maybe it would be the right decision for him personally but it would be a terrible business decision IMO.  In the NFL your career could end a flash.  You try to make as much money as possible.  

By sitting out he loses just about any leverage he has with the team in contract negotiations.  Maybe it’s me being overly positive but I don’t think he does the interview if he’s leaning toward option out.  But we’ll see

I definitely hope he plays but I respect his decision. I also don’t hold it against anybody that takes that route. This team is building something special for a long run and this is a very odd year So at this point if I can even watch a few bills games, and hopefully they look really good I’m a happy camper. And as far as Tre’Davious goes, if he does opt out that pushes his fat contract back another year so there is a silver lining but again I hope he plays! He’s an amazing cornerback and goalie!

Edited by PJBrown7
iPhone voice recognition sucks

All he said was he wasn't sure. He also said he wanted to see how it was being handled. By all accounts, the BILLS are handling it better or at least as well as every other team in the the NFL. That should give him comfort. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

LOL okay.  So since the flu vaccine doesn’t cover all strains of the flu, that would mean the Covid vaccine will be the same?  
What about mumps, rubella, polio etc....?