Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

You're kidding right?  Are you paying attention to MLB now at all, or schools opening, or anything else?  There are new significant developments nearly every week.

I'm pretty sure whatdrought's point was that those new significant developments around MLB, schools opening etc would affect the risk to the entire league vs. the risk to an individual that should change their individual opt-out decision.  For example, at this point, we're unlikely to learn that covid-19 has a unique negative impact on people with type AB blood, which would cause a player with type AB blood to say "OK, I'm out"; with 19.7M infections, there are plenty of data for that type of slicing and dicing.

Sure "big picture" developments might still impact the entire league or entire teams.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The lockdown is making the virus last longer ,think about that???

People...are making it last longer.  Because "muh freedoms".  That's the irony.  The stubbornness of some people to NOT socially distance or follow guidelines because they feel it infringes on their rights...are actually playing a hand in extending this and having their rights infringed on longer.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Where were all the restrictions for bird flu, swine flu, sars, ebola, etc??? But now its making a difference??? Medical facilities are not overwhelmed, they show old news of filled hospitals and proclaim the world is overwhelmed when in reality nurses were laid off because of nothing to do, try looking at other media besides the mainstream media.

If you dont mind sharing, what is your main source of news (please be honest)?

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Where were all the restrictions for bird flu, swine flu, sars, ebola, etc??? But now its making a difference??? Medical facilities are not overwhelmed, they show old news of filled hospitals and proclaim the world is overwhelmed when in reality nurses were laid off because of nothing to do, try looking at other media besides the mainstream media.

The covid threads are probably a better place for this, but briefly, the mode of transmission for bird flu, sars, and ebola was different than the mode of transmission for covid-19.  You can read about the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak , it differed in several key ways as did our national response which timeline you can read about here
Covid ActNow uses 5 parameters to asses Covid risk on a state and county level.  One of their parameters is ICU capacity.  If you click on a state you can see that ICUs are at capacity or approaching capacity in FL and GA and at or above 70% capacity in AL, MS, TN, TX, and NV.  There are other areas where counties are saturated or near saturated.  The organization is transparent about who the founders are and who is involved, which you can read about on their site.  It is true that medical professionals were laid off in some places due to cancellation of the elective and outpatient procedures that formed the bulk of their work without, fortunately, a surge in covid-19 in all of those locales.  A number of them took short term contracts to work in hard-hit areas.

I get most of my covid-19 information from medical news sites, scientific journals, blogs or twitter feeds of individual scientists (usually heavily referenced to journals), and web sites such as the above which are reasonably transparent about who is running them and where/how the data are being sourced. 

Curious what are your sources of information?

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/9/2020 at 9:41 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hmmmm...yet I know several nurses working exhausting and insane hours in packed hospitals from COVID.  So maybe take your own advice, try looking at media other than Faux News, Breitbart, and OANN...all fake news sites...and also stop taking idiots on twitter as facts.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, Johnnycage46 said:

People...are making it last longer.  Because "muh freedoms".  That's the irony.  The stubbornness of some people to NOT socially distance or follow guidelines because they feel it infringes on their rights...are actually playing a hand in extending this and having their rights infringed on longer.

If you dont mind sharing, what is your main source of news (please be honest)?

I have found with some of my relatives who are primary viewers of Fox news....that just about ANY other news channel on Cable tv that is 'not' Fox news is the 'dreaded mainstream media".

Personally I think all the networks are a good source of information.  I find it best to watch all of them...and I think it is a GOOD thing when I get 2 sides to a story...if one 'expert' is saying one thing and a different network 'expert' says something else....that gives you information to do your own research on. When present with 2 points of view don't just pick one to side with...research both..try to DISPROVE both as much as you can...and when you are done...the point of view you were 'least' able to disprove (when legitimately trying on both)...that is a good way to learn.  You may think you hate one network or the other, but when you watch them you might get information that you won't get on your 'chosen' network.  If you watch the same news all the time...you get nothing to change your mind...just the same commentary over and over to just further cement your opinion..and that is true on both sides of the political spectrum.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I have found with some of my relatives who are primary views of Fox news that just about ANY other news channel on Cable tv that is 'not' Fox news is the 'dreaded mainstream media".

Personally I think all the networks are a good source of information.  I find it best to watch all of them...and I think it is a GOOD thing when I get 2 sides to a story...if one 'expert' is saying one thing and a different network 'expert' says something else....that gives you information to do your own research on. When present with 2 points of view don't just pick one to side with...research both..try to DISPROVE both as much as you can...and when you are done...the point of view you were 'least' able to disprove (when legitimately trying on both)...that is a good way to learn.  You may think you hate one network or the other, but when you watch them you might get information that you won't get on your 'chosen' network.  If you watch the same news all the time...you get nothing to change your mind...just the same commentary over and over to just further cement your opinion..and that is true on both sides of the political spectrum.

1,000,000,000,000x this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 9:07 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The covid threads are probably a better place for this, but briefly, the mode of transmission for bird flu, sars, and ebola was different than the mode of transmission for covid-19.  You can read about the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak , it differed in several key ways as did our national response which timeline you can read about here
Covid ActNow uses 5 parameters to asses Covid risk on a state and county level.  One of their parameters is ICU capacity.  If you click on a state you can see that ICUs are at capacity or approaching capacity in FL and GA and at or above 70% capacity in AL, MS, TN, TX, and NV.  There are other areas where counties are saturated or near saturated.  The organization is transparent about who the founders are and who is involved, which you can read about on their site.  It is true that medical professionals were laid off in some places due to cancellation of the elective and outpatient procedures that formed the bulk of their work without, fortunately, a surge in covid-19 in all of those locales.  A number of them took short term contracts to work in hard-hit areas.

I get most of my covid-19 information from medical news sites, scientific journals, blogs or twitter feeds of individual scientists (usually heavily referenced to journals), and web sites such as the above which are reasonably transparent about who is running them and where/how the data are being sourced. 

Curious what are your sources of information?

You have done a fantastic job of trying to share actual facts on this subject Hapless. Shame that some would still rather listen to their personal echo chambers.

• Like (+1) 4