72 NFL Players Were Diagnosed with COVID

cd1

10 minutes ago, Mickey said:

"had" being the operative word, how are we doing now?  NY's numbers hit when we knew nothing about the virus. Because of its international airports it hit there first. With their population density, it spread quickly. In time NY figured it out with next to no help from the feds. These other states had waaaaay more warning and time to prepare than NY did and they wasted it. NY's crisis hit when the equipment shortages were at their worst and there was no time to fix it. Do you think that other states did something special early on that NY didn't that caused their numbers to be lower in March and April while NY's soared? If so, I'd love to hear what it was and please add in an explanation as to why whatever magic they were using before is suddenly not working now? A fine finish would be to explain why on earth it gets you anywhere to make the point that NY got hit so badly. What is your point? If you prove that NY was awful, does that excuse what is happening in Texas and Florida? Should those states not learn from what worked and did not work in NY? Or is your only point to "own the libs" or some other political bs that has no place in the middle of a pandemic? 

Wasn't New York warned a few years ago that if a flu pandemic were to hit they would be short 3 million masks and other PPE and they chose to ignore that advice?

20 minutes ago, Mickey said:

So what is the reason why so much of the country is doing so badly compared to Germany and just about everywhere else in Europe?  If this is the best they can do, we are $*@#ed.

In my opinion, we're doing what we WANT to do, which certainly isn't what we could do to limit the impact on our health or on our economy.  That's the American spirit and overall, it's made us a pretty awesome place to live.  Not perfect, but pretty darn good.  You watch, we'll be the country that develops the vaccine and some of the most effective treatment.

• cd1 changed the title to 72 NFL Players Were Diagnosed with COVID
43 minutes ago, Mickey said:

"had" being the operative word, how are we doing now?  NY's numbers hit when we knew nothing about the virus. Because of its international airports it hit there first. With their population density, it spread quickly. In time NY figured it out with next to no help from the feds. These other states had waaaaay more warning and time to prepare than NY did and they wasted it. NY's crisis hit when the equipment shortages were at their worst and there was no time to fix it. Do you think that other states did something special early on that NY didn't that caused their numbers to be lower in March and April while NY's soared? If so, I'd love to hear what it was and please add in an explanation as to why whatever magic they were using before is suddenly not working now? A fine finish would be to explain why on earth it gets you anywhere to make the point that NY got hit so badly. What is your point? If you prove that NY was awful, does that excuse what is happening in Texas and Florida? Should those states not learn from what worked and did not work in NY? Or is your only point to "own the libs" or some other political bs that has no place in the middle of a pandemic? 

A statement was made. I asked a question and made a factual statement and you're becoming unhinged.

Why don't you ask others what their point is? I made mine...in black and white.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

You mean the fella who shut down flights to and from China and Europe amidst cries of xenophobia and bigotry from the usual folks? Same fella who tanked the most thriving US economy in decades on the advice of health professionals? Or maybe you mean the fella who forced Covid positive folks to stay in elderly care facilities with resulting astronomical deaths of the most vulnerable population. Just want to make sure we have the correct clueless, self-serving, populist dingbat in mind.

I wouldn't give him credit for tanking, think it was going to tank regardless. And the economy was thriving along pretty good since about 2012.

And also the same guy who had a "Hunch" it was going away and the same guy who suggested gargling with bleach to cure it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

In my opinion, we're doing what we WANT to do, which certainly isn't what we could do to limit the impact on our health or on our economy.  That's the American spirit and overall, it's made us a pretty awesome place to live.  Not perfect, but pretty darn good.  You watch, we'll be the country that develops the vaccine and some of the most effective treatment.

And one who will have US Citizens pay more than to other countries including wealthy.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I wouldn't give him credit for tanking, think it was going to tank regardless. And the economy was thriving along pretty good since about 2012.

And also the same guy who had a "Hunch" it was going away and the same guy who suggested gargling with bleach to cure it.

I agree that the economy was already showing signs of weakening. A downturn was on its way. But this is likely more severe then what was going to happen.

I do find it funny that Republicans and Democrats like to take credit for strong economies and always blame the other party for recessions when it has virtually nothing to do with them. The president doesn't have power over the economy.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Well, see they did have the worst numbers. Then we quarantined, and now we don't. This is known as mitigation

Florida did not quarantine. Florida alone has more cases than several countries. This is known as a cluster****

South Florida got flooded by people fleeing New York and the rest of the northeast.  They didn't comply with two week quarantine requirements and the rest is history.  It is a cluster but correctly identify the cause.  In addition, people got complacent because of the low numbers and undertook risky behavior ( big memorial day parties, etc.).  Most of Florida has had minimal impact. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Well, see they did have the worst numbers. Then we quarantined, and now we don't. This is known as mitigation

Florida did not quarantine. Florida alone has more cases than several countries. This is known as a cluster****

It's amazing people don't see what happened in NYS, how it was handled and the result of that management---while down south their general ignorance and lack of intelligent leadership has put them exactly where NYS was 4 months ago!...when no one knew what to do.  

All of this spread in the south was avoidable---and the path was clearly laid out for them.  

So stupid.  Like these people are PROUDLY stupid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

???

Florida has 28 thousand less deaths than New York State.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

this lazy narrative is annoying to me. And I’m not R or D...  On one hand the liberal state governors are applauded for their actions and Btw are saying the fed has no authority and will not tell states what to do even though those states have been astronomically impacted anyway. 

But then on the other hand the fed gov is all to blame for the current state of this pandemic cases count and death toll. 

tell me how both can be true? 

Well it is quite easy for both to be true and your premise is nonsense. No state is saying the feds have "no authority". Saying they can't control school openings does not translate to state's saying they have "no authority" over anything. There are things the feds control exclusively and things states control exclusively. There are situations where authority is overlapping. And in terms of a unified response, regardless of who has authority over what, active federal leadership is invaluable. And there is a big difference between a federal directive that worsens the epidemic and one that actually makes sense such as "wear masks if you feel like it" versus "masks are mandatory". So yes, both things can be true, they are not mutually exclusive. The feds have messed up when they have been active and, fortunately, many states have ignored their most moronic suggestions.  

45 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Well it is quite easy for both to be true and your premise is nonsense. No state is saying the feds have "no authority". Saying they can't control school openings does not translate to state's saying they have "no authority" over anything. There are things the feds control exclusively and things states control exclusively. There are situations where authority is overlapping. And in terms of a unified response, regardless of who has authority over what, active federal leadership is invaluable. And there is a big difference between a federal directive that worsens the epidemic and one that actually makes sense such as "wear masks if you feel like it" versus "masks are mandatory". So yes, both things can be true, they are not mutually exclusive. The feds have messed up when they have been active and, fortunately, many states have ignored their most moronic suggestions.  

Please look at Coumo press conferences in March (his words). It’s going to hurt you narrative. 

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Captain, coming from someone who lives in FL, you are wrong.  You said FL didn’t quarantine.  Not true.  They shut everything down for around two months.  The problem where you are correct is FL, GA, AZ, TX and other states reopened too early.  We then three weeks ago reinstituted masks again, bars closed again, etc.  You are right on point FL should have never opened as early as it did nor any other State, and now paying the price.

Im not nitpicking as I understand you’re frustration and I’m frustrated as well.  I was not happy FL opened as early as it did, and was predictable the spike.  I grew up in Buffalo, but FL has been my home the last 20+ years.  Desantis screwed up and we are paying for it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Beast said:

So, explain New York State having the worst numbers.

NYC/NJ area is the most densely populated place in the country. NYC was a disaster because our president was calling the virus a hoax in February. 

if the virus spikes back up in the fall there will be no NFL season, at least not on schedule. 

Edited by Penfield45

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Someday I hope TSW returns to talking about football and not about politics, pandemics, and protestors.  

Can't wait to see Buffalo win big games this year. Go Bills!  

Well said.

We are all Bills fans. Can’t wait for opinions to get back to football, and whether or not  Daboll can call a game.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Captain, coming from someone who lives in FL, you are wrong.  You said FL didn’t quarantine.  Not true.  They shut everything down for around two months.  The problem where you are correct is FL, GA, AZ, TX and other states reopened too early.  We then three weeks ago reinstituted masks again, bars closed again, etc.  You are right on point FL should have never opened as early as it did nor any other State, and now paying the price.

Im not nitpicking as I understand you’re frustration and I’m frustrated as well.  I was not happy FL opened as early as it did, and was predictable the spike.  I grew up in Buffalo, but FL has been my home the last 20+ years.  Desantis screwed up and we are paying for it.

Our son gets married in Sarasota in about 4 weeks (Saturday, 8/15). Plans have changed, this is a  church wedding with only the parents and the priest. The “public wedding” in Asheville, NC is moved to next year.

I’m actually not thrilled about the dinner that follows the wedding at the beach house some friends are letting us use for the week. The wonderful bride is one of SIX daughters. Most are married with kids. Plus our friends who own the house. That’s a BUNCH of people for the dinner that follows. I don’t love the plan, but I’m not missing it, either.