Who will be the next Republican Standard Bearer for 2024?

Who is the next Republican Standard Bearer?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next Republican nominee for 2024?

• Tim Scott
    • Dan Crenshaw
    • Tom Cotton
    • Ron DeSantis
    • Nikki Haley
    • Rand Paul
    • Marco Rubio
    • Ted Cruz
    • Someone not named

I voted for Cruz over Trump in 2016 and then abstained in the Presidential election.  I still think Cruz is a brilliant man and actually think he's become more human since Trump got elected and he found his voice. That said, I don't think he could win.

I honestly think DeSantis has elevated himself the best recently with his fearless and data driven leadership through the Chinese Flu.

My choices ultimately were between Tim Scott and Nikki Haley. I think they would have the most realistic chances of winning the general election. I went with Haley because she's incredibly accomplished and experienced at all levels. She would be a perfect candidate to break that glass ceiling for women.

Also...:wub:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting that you don’t list Mike Pence. He’s only 61 now. I don’t think he would win the nomination though. For me, it’s Nikki Haley’s to lose. Her candidacy would tie the Left into pretzel knots. 

• Like (+1) 1

Certainly is an intriguing question, as you say a lot would depend on Trump's victory in 2020.

I will give it a shot.

My thinking, and I hope that of fellow Conservatives/Republicans, is that we should try and continue with a leader who is not beholding to the D.C. crowd.

This would lean against Congress and ex administration and push more towards executives, such as governors and businesspeople.

Tim Scott -- Fine Senator and a good person, I just don't see the charisma (for lack of a better word) to run nationally.

Dan Crenshaw -- A terrific congressman, solid conservative, very good speaker, and quick on his feet. If anyone from the House could make it would be him (and let's face it, who wouldn't want a President with an eyepatch ?)  But he is just 36, I see his time in the next decade.

Tom Cotton -- in the news lately, the junior Senator will certainly be a GOP leader for many years to come. He knows how to speak the straightforward talk that Americans like, but can he "get along" enough with his fellow GOP'ers, or will they resent him ?

Ron DeSantis -- A Governor of an important state, that automatically gives him an advantage.  He is a fighter who defends his actions, people always respond to that. But (as Tim said above) his personality is not for everybody.

Nikki Haley -- Very strong candidate. Successful governor, and also U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. (domestic and foreign experience) Has been a supporter of President Trump, but is not necessarily tied to him. And let's face it, attractive woman and a minority.

Rand Paul --  A strong senator, but not really relatable to the public (and his fellow GOP) He should stay a senator.

Marco Rubio -- I don't believe that he is in nearly as a strong a position as in years past. Does fine as a Senator and supports a Latino voice that needs to be heard, but I don't see him as a viable leader of the Republican Party.

Ted Cruz -- This is the man I wish would succeed Trump. Intelligent, strong conservative and a fighter. However, his reputation has already been cemented by a willing media, and it would be next to impossible (dare I say Trumplike) for him to overcome it. My real wish is for him to replace Justice Thomas when it is time.

Mike Pence -- Obviously a good man, with executive experience, but I just cannot get excited about a Pence administration following Trump (see GHWB)

I would point out that compared to the Democrats there are a wealth of good choices, all in their 40's and 50's.

The future looks bright.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Interesting that you don’t list Mike Pence. He’s only 61 now. I don’t think he would win the nomination though. For me, it’s Nikki Haley’s to lose. Her candidacy would tie the Left into pretzel knots. 

Crap. Forgot about him.  Of course he will run

10 minutes ago, westside2 said:

I wouldn't rule out Candice Owens. She's intelligent, articulate and has great stage presence and leadership qualities for someone as young as her. 

I'm very impressed with her, but I do not see her becoming a GOP leader in the next 4 years. For all she brings to the table (which is a lot), she has no actual political experience. Trump got away with having no experience because he's Trump. She is not.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I like Pence, but he seems to be about as exciting and charismatic as wallpaper.

4 minutes ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

I think Rand Paul would be a good direction for the Republican party.  Lean a little more Libertarian (eek, how dare I suggest more personal responsibility).

burn-the-witch_new.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

I'm very impressed with her, but I do not see her becoming a GOP leader in the next 4 years. For all she brings to the table (which is a lot), she has no actual political experience. Trump got away with having no experience because he's Trump. She is not.

Now that I thought about it, I think you're right. Maybe not in the next four years, but I definitely think she could become a major player in the future.

5 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Now that I thought about it, I think you're right. Maybe not in the next four years, but I definitely think she could become a major player in the future.

Without a doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm with some others here... I too supported Cruz over Trump in 2016 but now see his best position to help for the future would be on the Court. I really think, as of now, the nomination in 2024 would be Nikki Haley's to lose. And we could certainly do a lot worse on the Dem side for the first woman POTUS as Nikki is more qualified than even the supposed over qualified Hillary.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Mark Cuban.  Not my choice necessarily but I think he may take a hard swing at it then.

I could also see Chris Christie trying again. 

Christie done shot his wad I think, and is now part of history. As for Cuban, isn't he a Democrat?

• Like (+1) 1

Tim Scott - possibly, but a Senator? Senators never seem to do well in general elections.
Dan Crenshaw - too young, but he's very, very attractive, so he's got my vote!
Tom Cotton - too conservative. He'd never win in the general.
Ron DeSantis - very possibly. He may very well be the Rs best hope.
Nikki Haley - a squish, and she caves to the masses a lot.  I am not saying I dislike her (I do not dislike her), but do not expect her to stand for anything when something else "better" comes along.
Rand Paul - er, no.
Marco Rubio - hello to the no.
Ted Cruz - I like Ted Cruz, but he'll never win in the general. I would love to see him on the SC. That would make a lot of heads explode.

• Like (+1) 2

Nikki Haley would be the establishment favorite.

Tim Scott could compete for that vote, but I could see him doing well.

DeSantis is a little goofy but he's competent and he doesn't back down and would be a favorite to get Trump's endorsement which would matter a lot.  No matter if Trump won or lost.

Cotton would be the new Cruz and compete for the hard right and populists, but I'm not sure how much more appeal he'd have over what Cruz had.

Crenshaw could be the compromise candidate.  Very quick on his feet, could be liked some by all.  

Pence could be strong with the evangelicals and of course if he got the endorsement of Trump that would make him a major player.  

Rubio, Cruz and Rand I think are a thing of the past.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Magox said:

Nikki Haley would be the establishment favorite.

Tim Scott could compete for that vote, but I could see him doing well.

DeSantis is a little goofy but he's competent and he doesn't back down and would be a favorite to get Trump's endorsement which would matter a lot.  No matter if Trump won or lost.

Cotton would be the new Cruz and compete for the hard right and populists, but I'm not sure how much more appeal he'd have over what Cruz had.

Crenshaw could be the compromise candidate.  Very quick on his feet, could be liked some by all.  

Pence could be strong with the evangelicals and of course if he got the endorsement of Trump that would make him a major player.  

Rubio, Cruz and Rand I think are a thing of the past.

pretty funny that Rubiio, Cruz and Rand are a "thing of the past"

their combined age is probably close to Trump & Biden 

9 minutes ago, spartacus said:

pretty funny that Rubiio, Cruz and Rand are a "thing of the past"

their combined age is probably close to Trump & Biden 

I could be wrong.

My political analysis is often wrong.

36 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Where are the ACTUAL, actionable conservatives in that list?

I have zero confidence in any of them to resist the pressures applied by the leftist media in this country.

Provide names.  I just put names there that were at the top of my head.

Nicky Haley.  I haven't seen the "it" factor with a politician since Obama came onto the scene in '04 until now.  She's one of the few who worked for Trump, stood up to him several times, and left on good graces. 

• Like (+1) 3

I would prefer someone who will continue to take the fight to the Deep State. Like Meadows, Jordan, Nunes, or Collins.

Also adding: Ratcliffe and Grenell.

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 1

If Tim Scott could make it through the primaries, I could see him being the toughest one to beat.  He's not a divisive figure so the Anti Scott vote really wouldn't be strong.  He appeals to both conservatives and moderate Republicans.  I could see him doing well with suburban women voters and he could conceivably get 20%+ of the African American vote, which would seal the deal for him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

HALEY / SCOTT 2024

SCOTT / HALEY 2024

...LMAO!!...can you imagine the MSM feeding frenzy about "Token Tim and his Female Cohort"?....could be a five year shortage on popcorn......maybe Popcorn Futures are worthwhile??....

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

Where are the ACTUAL, actionable conservatives in that list?

I have zero confidence in any of them to resist the pressures applied by the leftist media in this country.

Are you kidding?  Have you heard Cruz speak/read his tweets?  He's an outspoken voice, and rails against the media.  I voted for him in the general, and as some others here have said, I abstained in the presidential election this last time.  Trump will get my vote this time, and I'm hoping to have the opportunity to vote for Cruz again.

• Like (+1) 3