Do You Feel That You Can Speak Honestly About Race Relations

Irv

Workplace - Yes.  If I shared my thoughts on the topic, I'm confident it would be well-received.  But I do not discuss anything political or controversial in the workplace.

PPP - No.

Edited by Gugny
Clarification
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

Until I've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, I'm reluctant to say anything about the person.

Once I've walked a mile in their shoes, I can say whatever the hell I want, because I'm a mile away and I have their shoes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oh hell no. Not that I would want to. Someone gave me quality advice a long time ago. Never talk religion, abortion or politics at work. That has served me very well over the years. If someone else wants to pontificate, have at it. I'm not saying a peep.

Edited by ocemur
spell check is racist!!
  • Like (+1) 6

19 hours ago, mead107 said:

What about Do You Find Aliens Attractive?

I fixed this for you, Mead.

18 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Until I've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, I'm reluctant to say anything about the person.

Once I've walked a mile in their shoes, I can say whatever the hell I want, because I'm a mile away and I have their shoes.

Seriously, this may be my all time favorite post. Well done.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Irv said:

Do you feel like you can speak honestly about your heartfelt thoughts on race relations without retribution at your workplace or elsewhere? 

No, because the workplace is not an appropriate arena to discuss your thoughts on race relations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

No. And I’m not sure anyone is, really. We’re all working from personal anecdotes / experiences / knowledge.

There’s so many stats and stories and such. I don’t even know how to make sense of it or where to begin. All I’ve got in all this is that I just try my best not to be an a—hole and as MLKJr said, judge people on the content of their character... and their actions.

Donated blood a couple of weeks ago and someone there and someone was wearing a shirt that said, “We all bleed red.” The first time I started donating, I ran into a teacher from my old high school who said it’s a great act of altruism; you have no idea who’s going to end up needing & receiving your blood, what color their skin is, what they’ve done in their life, but it’s a small individual act where you say Here is part of myself for someone who needs it. Life is such a fragile thing. There’s no time to be so angry as everyone is today about everything. I’m unconvinced that anything can be solved through anger.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Seriously, this may be my all time favorite post. Well done.

Thanks. I forgot to attribute it: it's a "Deep Thought" by Jack Handey (from the old SNL).

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

@BringBackFergy may have some input on this...........

Are you referring to my "visitor"?? She has made several appearances outside my front door (which is glass) and she's wearing a mask.  She thinks we can understand what she is saying as she stands there talking to my staff through a glass door with traffic passing in the background.  #1) We can't read lips, and #2) it's twice as hard to read lips when she's wearing a mask.