Fauci: virus will decide season

It's not even Memorial Weekend yet.  IF the country is still shut down after Labor Day Weekend we all got a lot of bigger things to

worry about than the NFL season.

We all just have to be patient and as careful as possible.

• Like (+1) 6

If a business re-opens before we have a vaccine, they need to operate under the assumption that people in that business will potentially catch it and have contingency plans for when that happens.  

NFL included.  

If not, stay closed until we have a vaccine. (Hint: that’s not sustainable)

So sick of hearing people pontificate about what-ifs?  “What if (Person X) catches COVID!?”  Guess what folks.. people will continue to catch it.  

Operate as such, while mitigating risk as much as possible.  

Or live in fear and stay closed indefinitely.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Pretty scary that ANY American could be this ignorant, isn't it?

How uninformed and irrational can a person be?

I would bet large amounts of money that they have never read a book without being forced to...

So pathetic.

You over estimate someone who uses a wild card to avoid filter (who cares about rules?).

I've been saying it since this whole thing started. Lock me in my home all summer long - I don't care as long as we get football.

Now that we're in the process of opening up again, I don't think this train is going to stop and we're definitely going to risk a second wave that may affect this season. But this Bills roster is too damn good to be concerned about anyone's health besides that of Josh Allen et al. 

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I wonder who has more power in this situation? Fauci or the NFL? I’m pretty confident, if the NFL wants to play, they are going to play. I could be wrong but we shall see I guess.

I am pretty sure that local and state governments have more power than the NFL in deciding when gatherings of 80,000 fans can take place in their backyard again and last I checked Fauci was still part of the President's team advising the nation on re-opening procedures.  I think hes involved in guiding public policy due to his 40 something years as a leading voice in the study of infectious disease including advising every sitting president since Reagan. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no right answer in this argument. If we return too early we risk another wave and more deaths. If we hunker down longer, we're all jobless and the economy will be toast. Both options suck. There is no 3rd option until the Vaccine shows up. Fauci is 100x smarter then all of us, so I think I'll just sit this one out and pray for the vaccine. This whole situation has turned political anyway. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

Pretty scary that ANY American could be this ignorant, isn't it?

How uninformed and irrational can a person be?

I would bet large amounts of money that they have never read a book without being forced to...

So pathetic.

follow the money.... follow the money...............................follow the money........................>.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-studying-coronavirus/

There are hundreds of these articles from news outlets. Tell me again why this guy should make the call on the NFL's business. This is a decision for the owners and NFLPA. They decide.  No one can force the players to play, but if they want to, it is their right and no one's constitutional rights should be governed. That why we have the constitution. 

1 hour ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Let me guess you’re more of a bleach drinking kind of guy ?

Let me guess, you like Kool Aid. Rational people question the BS they are being fed by both sides of the argument. I just don't see any reason to empower or trust Fauci to make decisions for all of us. 

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am pretty sure that local and state governments have more power than the NFL in deciding when gatherings of 80,000 fans can take place in their backyard again and last I checked Fauci was still part of the President's team advising the nation on re-opening procedures.  I think hes involved in guiding public policy due to his 40 something years as a leading voice in the study of infectious disease including advising every sitting president since Reagan. 

I’m not saying they will be allowed to have fans but I’m pretty sure if the NFL wants to play with empty stadiums, it’s going to happen regardless of what this guys says. 

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Well, what exactly WOULD you call people who suggest we should go about our normal business and interact when the virus has killed over 80000 people in less than two months and when pretty much all scientists are saying that re-opening would cause a spike in cases and deaths... that is denying science and people are literally dying because of this. 

However, don't really know why I'm posting this b/c this thread is clearly about to get closed (or scrubbed of all comments like yours and mine here. 

Well, I'll give you credit for admitting your post was probably not the best direction to go in. :) 

I'm not sure how this topic gets discussed without getting political though.

90% of deaths involve comorbidities. Over 2m people die in the US every year. Many die from communicable disease. Death is a part of life. But mortgaging the future through additional government debt, and destroying not only the short-term, but medium-term outlook for most people, is unforgivable. 

It would not have been difficult to ask people at risk or in households with those at risk to stay home, and more sensible and fiscally prudent for the government to provide benefits to those people instead of virtually the entire population. 

My parents and boss are at risk. I won’t see my parents or siblings, all of whom live within a few dozen miles of me, for perhaps as long as another six months out of abundance of caution. And most of my team won’t work from the office until likely the fall, to be safe. 

I’m socially distancing as expected, and gave the extra masks I had to friends who are doctors and nurses. But I also know that the fallout from the destruction to economic activity is going to be very painful in the short and medium term and cause a lot of pain, suffering, and death from suicide etc. My sister owns a restaurant and doesn’t know what the long-term future holds. Let people make their own decisions. 

Edited by ny33
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

Fauci can suck a bag of d*

If the intent here was to be funny, you failed. If the intent was to disparage Fauci, you failed even more spectacularly. 

Bottom line: you failed. 

• Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Yea, it can continue to spread.

How are teams going to be able to protect their players? I was thinking today about what could happen if your QB gets infected and then has to miss a bunch of games. I also wonder if the nfl will allow for rosters to be even larger in case of some members of the team having to self quarantine. I hope there is a season but they are definitely going to have to come up with a very progressive and robust plan in order to keep things moving along. 

Let me guess you’re more of a bleach drinking kind of guy ?

You don't drink it!!!!!

You inject it.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ny33 said:

90% of deaths involve comorbidities. Over 2m people die in the US every year. Many die from communicable disease. Death is a part of life. But mortgaging the future through additional government debt, and destroying not only the short-term, but medium-term outlook for most people, is unforgivable. 

It would not have been difficult to ask people at risk or in households with those at risk to stay home, and more sensible and fiscally prudent for the government to provide benefits to those people instead of virtually the entire population. 

Mortgaging the future? Come on, man, it’s not like they traded next year’s 1st rounder to draft Sammy Watkins. 

It’s a shame the answers aren’t as easy as you proclaim. 

• Like (+1) 1

1968-69 H3N2 pandemic

America did not shut down let alone for months . Woodstock took place right in the middle of it

It is time for life to continue. Viruses are a part of life you can't shut down for 6 months

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not saying they will be allowed to have fans but I’m pretty sure if the NFL wants to play with empty stadiums, it’s going to happen regardless of what this guys says. 

Those stadiums are public property.  I am certain that the NFL does NOT have authority to operate contrary to state and municipal laws just because you and I want to watch some football.  

30 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Virtue is now a bad thing? Keep trying..

6 minutes ago, ny33 said:

This.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

Fauci can suck a bag of d*

I work at a hospital, you and all the people who think this is fake, made in a lab, or that you going to a bar or getting a haircut is more important than the health of the public can suck a bag of d*.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’d like to chime in (while I still can) and mention that @HOUSE is looking smarter and smarter! 

Will someone let me know when a winner is declared? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'll just say that I think a lot of people vastly underestimate the difficulty of playing a season of NFL football.

As Fauci says, if two players on a team test positive, you've got a problem. The likelihood that several more teammates and coaches also have it is high. To see what this looks like in action, see: NBA.

Just saying "if a player tests positive, you quarantine him, and you're good to go" shows a lack of understanding of how this virus works.

I believe the NFL will start the 2020 season. I do not believe they'll get through the season, however. They'll either have to stop for a good chunk of time or stop altogether. They'll be making similar decisions to those now facing the NBA and MLB. If we're making too-early predictions, that's mine.

• Like (+1) 3