PHI Eagles projected to be $40+M over the cap in 2021

Mango

They’re not even winning their division this year so I could see them try to trade a few guys by the trade deadline to try to get what they can before they have to shed salary in the offseason...might ring up Howie Roseman and see what Fletcher Cox is going for 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Whenever you see big numbers in the "restructure bonus" column, that means they've been basically pushing back the inevitable.  About 20 mil restructure bonuses, then in 2021 you have void years too.  They basically were playing that game where you move 10mil of base salary into the next 4 years.  Eventually that player isn't good and you have like 3 different paid out bonuses that hit your cap at once if you release them early.  Not to mention they did this like way too many times and have void years all the way into like 2023 and 2024.  

Essentially this is right though - re-work the WR corps, lose older players, and trade down in the draft to get more cheap contracts/players.  They're stuck in a 2 year cap crunch since they dont have space to eat other dead money.  They could move Javon Hargrave since his base salary would come off the books in a trade.   

Don't worry though- they're set at backup QB...

They can get rid of the older receivers and save 30 million. The Eagles manage the salary cap really well. I think they know how they can at least get to 2021 without losing any players who aren't older and banged up. Maybe they won't be big spenders in free agency but I think they can at least keep the core of their team together sans older overpaid injured players. 

Can someone here confirm for me:  for dead money purposes, a retirement is the same as a cut, right?  So a team can't fix a cap issue like that by just letting a player walk into the sunset?

One of the things I like about Beane (or at least whomever is negotiating contracts for him) is that most of the deals you can get out of them after 2 years. He seems to know they're going to have dump some guys and seems to have given himself enough flexibility over the next 2-3 years to move on from who wishes to move on from without suffering massive cap implications to do so. 

35 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They can get rid of the older receivers and save 30 million. The Eagles manage the salary cap really well. I think they know how they can at least get to 2021 without losing any players who aren't older and banged up. Maybe they won't be big spenders in free agency but I think they can at least keep the core of their team together sans older overpaid injured players. 

They also likely carry over more than the estimated 4 million that is listed there.  Managing the cap is knowing when to walk away from players, and trade others.  I don't think they've done a great job of this - they've mostly just done what the saints have done and tack on years to deals to lower cap hits, and restructure base salaries.  

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I know cap numbers can always be worked and tweaked, but even with accounting for $10M in cap increase and roll over, they are still looking at needing to clear $40M in space. I am not sure I have ever seen anybody over that much. Maybe the Saints at one point?  Absolutely wild. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/2021/

Cap numbers can be managed but when the number gets large, more muscle must be cut.  Went will need to carry the team for a few years in the future while the cap gets reset.

If they were really concerned they would not have drafted Hurts but a player who will replace an expensive body next year.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They also likely carry over more than the estimated 4 million that is listed there.  Managing the cap is knowing when to walk away from players, and trade others.  I don't think they've done a great job of this - they've mostly just done what the saints have done and tack on years to deals to lower cap hits, and restructure base salaries.  

The Saints have had “the sky is falling” cap articles written about them for about a decade and they’ve been fine.

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Exactly correct!  This is why I gag when all the media types gush every time old Howie's name surfaces.  He is not one of the top GM's in the league and this cap problem is just more evidence of that.  Like every other GM, he has hit on some moves but when you look at the whole picture, he's nothing special.  He got them to a SB win and should receive credit for that.  

Howie Roseman is an awful GM that handed out deals to nearly every player who was on the SB team as a reward...about as dumb as it gets besides maybe BoB.

Howie will be on the hot seat and most likely fired at season's end

5 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, although the way they have regressed since that Super Bowl win, is alarming.

That’s just how it goes. Teams in or about to be in significant cap woes, are the Pats, Rams, Eagles, 49ers and Chiefs. They all have something in common.

philly's secondary has been a dumpster fire the last 2 years.  Because of cap constraints they couldn't pick up anyone that would demand any salary.  They signed ppl off the practice squad and the street to fill positions...  Not sure that is good roster management. 

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Without looking into it, what is Carson wentz dead cap next year? Maybe there was more to the jalen hurts pick

I doubt they let go of Wentz for Hurts. That would divide their fan base and cause a huge uproar and would set there franchise back a number of years

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I doubt they let go of Wentz for Hurts. That would divide their fan base and cause a huge uproar and would set there franchise back a number of years

Today I dont disagree, but say hurts plays and looks solid and you can get a boat load of picks in a trade for wentz then all of a sudden moving on from wentz doesn't sound too bad

But honestly a team is going to try to build a QB factory where they instead of paying a QB 30 million a year they continuously draft and replace rookie deals.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The Saints have had “the sky is falling” cap articles written about them for about a decade and they’ve been fine.

They have lost more games than they have won in 4 of their last 8 seasons. Drew Bees is THE ONLY reason they were not a dumpster fire in those years, and the reason why they can go from 7 wins to 13 wins in a single off season. A guy like Wentz has yet to show that kind of ability. 

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Today I dont disagree, but say hurts plays and looks solid and you can get a boat load of picks in a trade for wentz then all of a sudden moving on from wentz doesn't sound too bad

But honestly a team is going to try to build a QB factory where they instead of paying a QB 30 million a year they continuously draft and replace rookie deals.

I think the only way this works out (and you can probably never count on it) is actually having to pay a QB 30M per year for about 2 years.