PHI Eagles projected to be $40+M over the cap in 2021

Mango

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Eagles paid Peters a ton of money during his career there.  Was it really worth it ?  ?   Peters was essentially a  non-factor the season they won the SuperBowl because he was out before mid-season due to ACL. This seems to reinforce idea that teams can make a serious Superbowl run with replacement level left tackle.  I know folks here like to say you have to pay lots of money for your LT.

It's not just Bills fans saying you have to pat lots-o-money for a LT.

I'm quite sure most astute GMs feel the same.

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

right, it’s possible to make a run with plenty of rosters but some key positions being good certainly helps 

On 7/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Lots of people saying they will re-sign him to play right guard now their right guard has gone down hurt.... that is ludicrous to me. Taking a 37 year old left tackle and trying to plug him in at guard?

Shows what I know..... they just signed Peters to play right guard. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh it makes sense for HIM... not sure how it makes sense for the Eagles myself.... but there you go.

Devil’s advocate, he is basically the backup LT. They will give JP the chance compete with another random at RG to start and even if he loses, he’s still their backup LT. If he wins and Dillard goes down, you move Peters back out and input the random at RG. 

We will see how he does at his new spot (I am skeptical as switching sides is hard enough, let alone playing interior AND switching) but there is some merit there IMO

17 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

You can win Super Bowls with bad QB’s too but good QB’s are still sought after. 

There are many ways to skin this particular cat, but the general rule for position importance is QB, pass rusher, LT, CB, Star skill position.

You get as many of those slots filled as possible with blue chips, fill in the rest with as many solid to good positions as possible, and if you do well, you have a roster ready to compete. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It definitely was not a top 5 season. Top 5 second half? That is a better argument. The first half of last year Wentz was part of the problem in Philly. He definitely played well down the stretch and when throwing to trash cans at receiver but the first 8 games he was holding the ball forever, missing wide open receivers and generally failing to run the offense efficiently. 

I have seen enough to believe Wentz can be a top 10 Quarterback... but not enough consistency to say that he definitely IS at this stage. He is right on the cusp for me.

His numbers at the first half of the season were still good. 14 TD's to 4 INT's, 62% completion percentage, 1800 yards, he took 16 sacks and lost 2 out of 3 fumbles and the Eagles were 4-4. Looking at the game logs he only had 2 maybe 3 stinker games in there (Atlanta and Dallas and possibly Minnesota.) 

Compare that to his second half numbers. 13 TD's to 3 INT's, 65% completion percentage, 2200 yards, he lost 5 fumbles out of 12 and took 21 sacks, and the Eagles were 5-3. He had two stinker games in there losing home against Seattle and New England two of the better defenses in the league.So I can't exactly say that based off the numbers and game logs that his performance increased that much. 

I haven't watched too much of the Eagles this past season so I can't say for sure if there are other qualitative factors that could change my opinion but while I certainly think he improved in the second half of the season by the numbers it didn't look to be so dramatic. Both schedules were mid-level in both halfs (the Eagles did finish out the season playing the Giants twice, Redskins, Miami and a flaming out Dallas team but the first half of the schedule did feature the Redskins, Jets and Atlanta) and the Eagles receiving core was banged up from the start (DJax hurt all year Alshon banged up all year.) 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh it makes sense for HIM... not sure how it makes sense for the Eagles myself.... but there you go.

GB, I heard this morning on NFLR the Eagles had an injury on their line so they gave him a base contract for one year.  Peters said he wanted to play to 40, and he’s 38 so one year closer.  I hate he left us, especially after we gave him a chance, converted him to Tackle, and then he walks on us.  Now, we wouldn’t pay him what he wanted and he proved us completely wrong on a long history of baffoons in the front office who couldn’t maintain good talent.  He should have been with us until now.  We blew it.

22 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

His numbers at the first half of the season were still good. 14 TD's to 4 INT's, 62% completion percentage, 1800 yards, he took 16 sacks and lost 2 out of 3 fumbles and the Eagles were 4-4. Looking at the game logs he only had 2 maybe 3 stinker games in there (Atlanta and Dallas and possibly Minnesota.) 

Compare that to his second half numbers. 13 TD's to 3 INT's, 65% completion percentage, 2200 yards, he lost 5 fumbles out of 12 and took 21 sacks, and the Eagles were 5-3. He had two stinker games in there losing home against Seattle and New England two of the better defenses in the league.So I can't exactly say that based off the numbers and game logs that his performance increased that much. 

I haven't watched too much of the Eagles this past season so I can't say for sure if there are other qualitative factors that could change my opinion but while I certainly think he improved in the second half of the season by the numbers it didn't look to be so dramatic. Both schedules were mid-level in both halfs (the Eagles did finish out the season playing the Giants twice, Redskins, Miami and a flaming out Dallas team but the first half of the schedule did feature the Redskins, Jets and Atlanta) and the Eagles receiving core was banged up from the start (DJax hurt all year Alshon banged up all year.) 

Believe me the tape tells a very different story between the first 8 games and the latter. 

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, I heard this morning on NFLR the Eagles had an injury on their line so they gave him a base contract for one year.  Peters said he wanted to play to 40, and he’s 38 so one year closer.  I hate he left us, especially after we gave him a chance, converted him to Tackle, and then he walks on us.  Now, we wouldn’t pay him what he wanted and he proved us completely wrong on a long history of baffoons in the front office who couldn’t maintain good talent.  He should have been with us until now.  We blew it.

Yea their right guard is done for the year. That is the point. If they had re-signed Peters because they don't think Dillard is ready to man LT then fair enough.... but they are signing him to convert him to right guard at age 37 or 38 after he has been a left tackle for 13/14 years..... don't think that is smart myself, but we will see. 

• Like (+1) 1