Best QB in the AFC East

Greg S

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

My young padouin as stated in Star Wars, many state Marino, but Kelly kicked his ars for years because they only had super duper, meaning duper and clayton, no RB, no defense, and Kelly is one of the toughest QB's I've ever seen and that includes Favre who is one tough as nails QB.  I couldn't believe how he would wait when the rules were different and would get tattoed so he made that ball to Lofton, Beebe, and my favorite, Over the Middle, Reed.  If you are old enough to have watched every one of those games, you'd know what he meant to the AFCE and Buffalo.  Ask Chris Berman?

That is not to take away from how magical Marino was in his day.  Id still take Kelly six days a week and twice on Sunday.  Kelly Tough!

I am old enough to have seen all those games.  We all knew what Jim meant to the team from a toughness and leadership perspective, but it's difficult to see him as ever being a better pure QB than Marino.  We were all much happier rooting for Kelly too.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I am old enough to have seen all those games.  We all knew what Jim meant to the team from a toughness and leadership perspective, but it's difficult to see him as ever being a better pure QB than Marino.  We were all much happier rooting for Kelly too.  

Fair enough peaches.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Billl said:

Darnold: 22 in 846 career passes

Allen:  21 in 649 career passes

Yeah, Allen threw a lot of INT's his first year as a starter in college. But he only had 6 his last year. Darnold only increased in his INT's and threw 13 has last year of college. Both threw too many overall, but 6 INT's is not bad. 13 is bad.

And how has this translated to the NFL? Allen's INT percent is 2.1%, but dropped from 3.8% to 2.0% from year one to year two. Darnold's INT percentage is 3.3%, dropping only to 2.9% in his second year. He's a pick machine. Allen throws too many INT's as well, but his biggest problem in this area was earlier in the year and dropped off significantly after that.

In terms of what they played with, isn’t it Fitz?  Would Darnold or Allen done better with the Fins last year?  I highly doubt it.  

Fitz is a top 20 qb in the nfl.  He’s actually gotten better every year.  You have a ceiling with him but I think as of right now, he’s the best qb in the AFC East. 

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, Allen threw a lot of INT's his first year as a starter in college. But he only had 6 his last year. Darnold only increased in his INT's and threw 13 has last year of college. Both threw too many overall, but 6 INT's is not bad. 13 is bad.

And how has this translated to the NFL? Allen's INT percent is 2.1%, but dropped from 3.8% to 2.0% from year one to year two. Darnold's INT percentage is 3.3%, dropping only to 2.9% in his second year. He's a pick machine. Allen throws too many INT's as well, but his biggest problem in this area was earlier in the year and dropped off significantly after that.

More is on Darnold to carry his team though.  Worse defense, worse oline, and he has to throw more.  

allen was a game manager last year.  If he was given more reign, he would throw more ints.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The talent comparison between the two isn't even close... Fitz just processes a lot quicker than Allen at this point in both their careers.... I'd still take Allen over Fitz in a heartbeat. Not even a question. 

If Fitz has Allen’s arm, he would be all time great qb.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

More is on Darnold to carry his team though.  Worse defense, worse oline, and he has to throw more.  

allen was a game manager last year.  If he was given more reign, he would throw more ints.  

Yeah, that's just speculation based on nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bulldog said:

If we could have ever claimed to have the best QB in the AFC East - it would certainly be very few times (at best).

Here is a year for you  -- 1980. The AFC East Quarterbacks were:

Jets -- Richard Todd

Dolphins - David Woodley

Patriots -- Steve Grogan

Colts (yes, for you youngsters out there - the Colts in the AFC East back then) - Bert Jones

Bills - Joe Ferguson

I think that the 1980 version of Joe Ferguson might have been the best of this group - although I always had a high opinion of Bert Jones.

Yeah - they were close but I'd give the edge to Jones in that era.  Btw this was my young teen era where I really started being a big Bills fan. 

In terms of what they played with, isn’t it Fitz?  Would Darnold or Allen done better with the Fins last year?  I highly doubt it.  

Fitz is a top 20 qb in the nfl.  He’s actually gotten better every year.  You have a ceiling with him but I think as of right now, he’s the best qb in the AFC East. 

This is what I what basing my post on. Fitz played on a team who's front office was TRYING to tank/rebuild. They got rid of a ton of talent. This year, we are loaded. If we had Fitz on this team, he would easily get a ton of love as the best in the AFCE. Having said this, it looks like Miami is going to be a better team compared to last year. Fitz will surprise a lot of folks this year. I see them going 4-2 in the AFCE next year. They sweep the Jets and split with us and NE. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fitzpatrick makes bad decisions all the time in clutch situations. He is a guaranteed INT when the game is on the line. That's not because of his arm talent. That's decision making. He's a risky gunslinger who folds when it matters most. Did you forget what it was like having him as a QB?

Nothing against him. He's an awesome person and a funny guy. He's the best backup in the league. But there's a reason he is a journeyman QB and has never gotten a team to the playoffs. Arm talent is not that reason.

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

This is what I what basing my post on. Fitz played on a team who's front office was TRYING to tank/rebuild. They got rid of a ton of talent. This year, we are loaded. If we had Fitz on this team, he would easily get a ton of love as the best in the AFCE. Having said this, it looks like Miami is going to be a better team compared to last year. Fitz will surprise a lot of folks this year. I see them going 4-2 in the AFCE next year. They sweep the Jets and split with us and NE. 

They will split with NE and the Jets and get swept by us and will be nowhere near .500. Take it to the bank. I'll own up if I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Fitzpatrick makes bad decisions all the time in clutch situations. He is a guaranteed INT when the game is on the line. That's not because of his arm talent. That's decision making. He's a risky gunslinger who folds when it matters most. Did you forget what it was like having him as a QB?

Nothing against him. He's an awesome person and a funny guy. He's the best backup in the league. But there's a reason he is a journeyman QB and has never gotten a team to the playoffs. Arm talent is not that reason.

They will split with NE and the Jets and get swept by us and will be nowhere near .500. Take it to the bank. I'll own up if I'm wrong.

If Fitz played with the defenses we had the last years, he would have made the playoffs.  His int % last year was lower than Allen’s on a team that was openly tanking.  

I agree you are limited as a franchise with him as your starter and you definitely take the younger guys. But based on last year and how they elevated their situations, I think Fitz did more for his team than any of the other qbs in the division. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If Fitz played with the defenses we had the last years, he would have made the playoffs.  His int % last year was lower than Allen’s on a team that was openly tanking.  

I agree you are limited as a franchise with him as your starter and you definitely take the younger guys. But based on last year and how they elevated their situations, I think Fitz did more for his team than any of the other qbs in the division. 

Yeah, Fitz is good at rallying the troops, but he is .500 kind of QB, if that. That's why he'll always have a job but he'll never be a preferred starter for any team in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, MJS said:

Fitzpatrick makes bad decisions all the time in clutch situations. He is a guaranteed INT when the game is on the line. That's not because of his arm talent. That's decision making. He's a risky gunslinger who folds when it matters most.

Dolphins won 5 games last year when they had no business winning any (and would have won against the Bills week 1 of their kicker didn’t miss everything).  4 of those 5 wins were due to game winning drives by Fitzpatrick.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Dolphins won 5 games last year when they had no business winning any (and would have won against the Bills week 1 of their kicker didn’t miss everything).  4 of those 5 wins were due to game winning drives by Fitzpatrick.

Tell me. Does winning 5 games make you a good team or a bad team in the NFL?

Well, of all the starting QB's in the AFCE last season, Josh was 3rd in passing efficiency behind Brady and Fitzpatrick.Fitz, Josh and Darnold were all within a couple points of each other while Brady was far ahead of all 3. Depending on what the Pats do at QB, Allen could be anywhere from 1st to 4th this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Tell me. Does winning 5 games make you a good team or a bad team in the NFL?

Again, if he was on the Bills, he would have been in the playoffs.  That’s kinda the point.  None of these QBs in the afc East are guys who out the team on their back.  Allen played with the 3rd best defense.

Fitz did as good as any non qb in the division with one of the worst rosters to start a season in a long time.  Football is the ultimate team game.  Allen and Darnold would have looked worse than Fitz in Miami last year.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Again, if he was on the Bills, he would have been in the playoffs.  That’s kinda the point.  None of these QBs in the afc East are guys who out the team on their back.  Allen played with the 3rd best defense.

Fitz did as good as any non qb in the division with one of the worst rosters to start a season in a long time.  Football is the ultimate team game.  Allen and Darnold would have looked worse than Fitz in Miami last year.   

That's guessing. You can't actually state that as fact. Maybe the Bills would have missed the playoffs with Fitz at QB. Maybe all the 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives that Allen put together turn into 4th quarter INT's and game losing drives. There's no way anyone could know that.

And no, I don't believe that Allen and Darnold would have looked worse than Fitz. Allen and Darnold are better QB's, in my opinion.

Edited by MJS

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's guessing. You can't actually state that as fact. Maybe the Bills would have missed the playoffs with Fitz at QB. Maybe all the 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives that Allen put together turn into 4th quarter INT's and game losing drives. There's no way anyone could know that.

And no, I don't believe that Allen and Darnold would have looked worse than Fitz. Allen and Darnold are better QB's, in my opinion.

I completely disagree but that’s my opinion.  It’s not a coincidence that Fitz does better than every qb he is supposed to backup.  He is a above average qb who lacks physical gifts.  There isn’t a doubt in my mind he is a better passer than Allen right now.  I think he would have been a disaster in Miami. As would most young QBs would have been.  It’s an awful situation.  

but obviously long term, you take the younger guys.  But it’s not crazy to think one or both might not ending up throwing 210 tds like Fitz.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I completely disagree but that’s my opinion.  It’s not a coincidence that Fitz does better than every qb he is supposed to backup.  He is a above average qb who lacks physical gifts.  There isn’t a doubt in my mind he is a better passer than Allen right now.  I think he would have been a disaster in Miami. As would most young QBs would have been.  It’s an awful situation.  

but obviously long term, you take the younger guys.  But it’s not crazy to think one or both might not ending up throwing 210 tds like Fitz.

I also don't think either of them will have a 23 INT season like Fitz has, and I believe both of them will end their careers with a better INT percentage than 3.4%, especially since both of them are already below that mark after only two seasons in the league. And that's saying something because both of them, especially Darnold, have had INT problems.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I also don't think either of them will have a 23 INT season like Fitz has, and I believe both of them will end their careers with a better INT percentage than 3.4%, especially since both of them are already below that mark after only two seasons in the league. And that's saying something because both of them, especially Darnold, have had INT problems.

Because they would be benched long before that.  But if you look at Fitz’s career, he’s gotten better at taking care of the ball.  His int % last year was lower than Allen’s and Darnold’s in a much, much worse situation.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because they would be benched long before that.  But if you look at Fitz’s career, he’s gotten better at taking care of the ball.  His int % last year was lower than Allen’s and Darnold’s in a much, much worse situation.

No, actually it was higher than Allen's. Allen was at 2.0% and Fitz was at 2.6%. It was even far higher the previous year in Tampa than Allen's as a rookie.

Someone should tell Stephen A that Jordan and Shaq are not Buffalo Bills.  

Disagree.  I dont think we make the playoffs with Fitz.  Did he get hot for a little bit with the Dolphins, sure...but no guarantee he does that here and he is NOT a good QB.  He is a great backup who can win some games, but he is mistake prone.  And we had a LOT of close games and Allen went for 21 TDs to just 3 turnovers from week 5 on.  NO WAY Fitz only has 3 turnovers over that stretch and we don't win 10 games with more turnovers.  

So, sorry man...Allen is better than Fitz already, and is the best QB in this division right now.  We would have missed the playoffs last year with Fitz with his turnovers and inconsistency IMHO.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Disagree.  I dont think we make the playoffs with Fitz.  Did he get hot for a little bit with the Dolphins, sure...but no guarantee he does that here and he is NOT a good QB.  He is a great backup who can win some games, but he is mistake prone.  And we had a LOT of close games and Allen went for 21 TDs to just 3 turnovers from week 5 on.  NO WAY Fitz only has 3 turnovers over that stretch and we don't win 10 games with more turnovers.  

So, sorry man...Allen is better than Fitz already, and is the best QB in this division right now.  We would have missed the playoffs last year with Fitz with his turnovers and inconsistency IMHO.

Yes, it's complete guesswork that Fitzpatrick would have made the playoffs on the Bills last year. He has worse than a career 3:2 td/int ratio, and with the amount of close or one score games we played last season Allen's 20/9 vs Fitz's 20/13 could easily have been the difference. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, MJS said:

Darnold was running for his life behind a dreadful USC O line. Once that settled down, his INTs dropped.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, Fitz is good at rallying the troops, but he is .500 kind of QB, if that. That's why he'll always have a job but he'll never be a preferred starter for any team in the league.

He has been a .500 qb for teams with crappy defenses and bad situations.  In Buffalo, his wrs were Stevie (7th, great pick!), David Nelson (UDFA), And Jones (UDFA).  And they had crap defenses.  In TB, he light up teams and set a record for most consecutive 400 yard passing games in a row I believe.  From week 7 when he became the starter again, the Fins averaged 24 points per game.  On a team where he was the leading rusher!  On a team where they traded their star LT.  on a team where Parker had averaged 600 yards/ season and had a total of 9 tds (which he tied last year).  

so do I think he could have made the playoffs on a team that averaged 19.6 points/ game and had the 3rd ranked defense? Um yeah.  I think a lot of average level starting qb could have.  Of course, if you’re taking a qb from the division, you take Allen or Darnold.  but at this point, I think Fitz is the best qb in the division.  Not a franchise guy but he can win games.  That’s why it was dumb for Miami to sign him.  

50 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Darnold was running for his life behind a dreadful USC O line. Once that settled down, his INTs dropped.

Darnold threw 1 more int in 197 more attempts than Allen in college.  

there’s this thought that the coaches are holding Allen back and he should be throwing more (I want to see that if he’s a true franchise guy).  But i remember people saying the same about JP Losman (Allen is better than JP) and he was terrible.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, it's complete guesswork that Fitzpatrick would have made the playoffs on the Bills last year. He has worse than a career 3:2 td/int ratio, and with the amount of close or one score games we played last season Allen's 20/9 vs Fitz's 20/13 could easily have been the difference. 

Aren’t most of these threads guesswork haha?

my thoughts are with our schedule last year and our defense, a bunch of qbs could have taken us to the playoffs.  If anything, our offense held us back. Now it’s not all on Allen of course but With a better offense, maybe we lose 4 or fewer games.  That’s how good our defense was and how easy our schedule was.  

I love this year’s schedule. Awesome road trips plus games where the offense is going to need to score.  If Allen improves this year, I will fully buy in. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He did throw more in the Texans game... was a mixed bag. Some wow plays, some bad throws and some what the ***** are you doing moments..... basically his career to this point.

That game summed up how I have felt about Allen. 1st half - I’m an idiot for doubting this guy.  I Can’t wait to get destroyed on this board all week and I’ll be so happy.  My friends and I are talking about taking a road trip to the next game no matter where it was. 

2nd half and OT - what is you doing baby???

he definitely is not boring, good or bad.  He’s like Fitz or Winston in that way.  It’s like being on drugs (or so they tell me ?). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He has been a .500 qb for teams with crappy defenses and bad situations.  In Buffalo, his wrs were Stevie (7th, great pick!), David Nelson (UDFA), And Jones (UDFA).  And they had crap defenses.  In TB, he light up teams and set a record for most consecutive 400 yard passing games in a row I believe.  From week 7 when he became the starter again, the Fins averaged 24 points per game.  On a team where he was the leading rusher!  On a team where they traded their star LT.  on a team where Parker had averaged 600 yards/ season and had a total of 9 tds (which he tied last year).  

so do I think he could have made the playoffs on a team that averaged 19.6 points/ game and had the 3rd ranked defense? Um yeah.  I think a lot of average level starting qb could have.  Of course, if you’re taking a qb from the division, you take Allen or Darnold.  but at this point, I think Fitz is the best qb in the division.  Not a franchise guy but he can win games.  That’s why it was dumb for Miami to sign him.  

Darnold threw 1 more int in 197 more attempts than Allen in college.  

there’s this thought that the coaches are holding Allen back and he should be throwing more (I want to see that if he’s a true franchise guy).  But i remember people saying the same about JP Losman (Allen is better than JP) and he was terrible.  

I find it funny how people have short term memories around here.  I recall several people during the middle of the season stating if we had Fitz the Bills would definitely make the playoffs.  I really like Allen but he also struggled at times last where Fitz would have been more reliable.  Do I think Fitz will have the same year this year he had last year? No, because for as good as he has been he has been just as bad at times.  Would I trade Allen for Fitz? No, but I don't think it is far fetched that he could very well be the best QB in the division next year.

Edited by Iverwig
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

I find it funny how people have short term memories around here.  I recall several people during the middle of the season stating if we had Fitz the Bills would definitely make the playoffs.  I really like Allen but he also struggled at times last where Fitz would have been more reliable.  Do I think Fitz will have the same year this year he had next year? No, because for as good as he has been he has been just as bad at times.  Would I trade Allen for Fitz? No, but I don't think it is far fetched that he could very well be the best QB in the division next year.

Totally agree.  Allen has upside that Fitz can’t touch.  But Fitz is becoming a better qb.  What he did in Miami was a borderline miracle last year.  He made Parker, a bust, into a top 10 receiver.  They were stupid for signing him. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

my thoughts are with our schedule last year and our defense, a bunch of qbs could have taken us to the playoffs.  If anything, our offense held us back. Now it’s not all on Allen of course but With a better offense, maybe we lose 4 or fewer games.  That’s how good our defense was and how easy our schedule was.  

I love this year’s schedule. Awesome road trips plus games where the offense is going to need to score.  If Allen improves this year, I will fully buy in. 

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised, especially with how Diggs opens up the field for other pass catchers

• Like (+1) 2

We all saw the improvement Josh made from year 1 to year 2 after they gave him a some decent weapons.  Now he's got an ELITE weapon and he's only gonna keep getting better. If its between the 24 year old Allen and the 38 year old (Nov) Fitz, that's a no brainer to me, and I've been saying from day 1 that Darnold is overrated. Just for the record, I DID NOT want Josh Allen 2 years ago.

Any guesses as to what the Bills record would have been if they had allowed 500 points on the season?  I’m thinking not good enough to make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Iverwig said:

I find it funny how people have short term memories around here.  I recall several people during the middle of the season stating if we had Fitz the Bills would definitely make the playoffs.  I really like Allen but he also struggled at times last where Fitz would have been more reliable.  Do I think Fitz will have the same year this year he had next year? No, because for as good as he has been he has been just as bad at times.  Would I trade Allen for Fitz? No, but I don't think it is far fetched that he could very well be the best QB in the division next year.

Fitzpatrick has been the opposite of reliable in his career. He's a risky gunslinger. He turns the ball over a lot. He has super great games and then extremely terrible games. So yeah, as you say, as good as Fitz is sometimes, he is just as bad just as often.

I'll be honest, I don't like facing him. Because you don't know if you are getting 4 TD Fitz or 4 INT Fitz. He's a scary QB to go against. But saying he is reliable is simply false.

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

Fitzpatrick has been the opposite of reliable in his career. He's a risky gunslinger. He turns the ball over a lot. He has super great games and then extremely terrible games. So yeah, as you say, as good as Fitz is sometimes, he is just as bad just as often.

I'll be honest, I don't like facing him. Because you don't know if you are getting 4 TD Fitz or 4 INT Fitz. He's a scary QB to go against. But saying he is reliable is simply false.

Right. How could anyone argue for fitz and his “consistency”. It’s nonexistent. His reputation throughout his career is the exact opposite of reliable. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

On 4/20/2020 at 7:51 AM, Greg S said:

If fairness to Darnold the Jets are an absolute train wreck on offense. Their OL line is garbage and they no weapons outside of Bell right now.

I agree but the mistakes he's made the last two years when under pressure are the same ones he made at USC. It's just how he naturally plays against pressure. He'll beat it sometimes but he'll also just throw stuff up for grabs. Even the best o-lines have off weeks so an improved supporting cast isn't going to fix those problems completely. 

People make too much of Darnold's meltdown against the Pats.  He still has a ton of talent.  I think it's going to he & Allen for many years ahead, almost like Marino & Kelly.

Gotta love it, though.  The Phins & Pats will be struggling to keep up.  I love the idea of the Bills & Pats battling for 1st every year.  It won't compute for Pats fans.