Wonderlic scores

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Lamar Jackson also scored a 13.  It's possible this hurts Tua given interested teams can't interview him in person to test his football IQ because of the tomhanksvirus.

Qb is really the only position I think the wonderlic could/should be a factor. That and maybe Center. Essentially it’s measuring how quickly one processes information, as I understand it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Qb is really the only position I think the wonderlic could/should be a factor. That and maybe Center. Essentially it’s measuring how quickly one processes information, as I understand it. 

I agree with this.  As long as you have the mental ability to memorize a playbook I wouldn't be too concerned at other positions.

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I hate the Wonderlic stuff so much. I think it is beyond pointless. 

Having worked as a consultant with a group who developed an innovation tool (which I love and have sold worldwide), all of these tools are subjective. You count on people to be ‘one way’ and to be educated in the same manner, etc (I can extrapolate but I’ll leave it at that). 

I’ve never studied the Wonderlic or taken it but I can share this: I have interviewed hundreds of people and every single one was different than they appeared on their resume and/or on given tests. 

It’s one piece but not the only piece. From my experience, the personal interactions coupled with back story mean FAR more than any test/personality test.

Just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

Having worked as a consultant with a group who developed an innovation tool (which I love and have sold worldwide), all of these tools are subjective. You count on people to be ‘one way’ and to be educated in the same manner, etc (I can extrapolate but I’ll leave it at that). 

I’ve never studied the Wonderlic or taken it but I can share this: I have interviewed hundreds of people and every single one was different than they appeared on their resume and/or on given tests. 

It’s one piece but not the only piece. From my experience, the personal interactions coupled with back story mean FAR more than any test/personality test.

Just my opinion. 

It’s never going to be a deciding factor. It’s just one piece of the puzzle. The fact they still administer it means it is still used in evaluation. But not meant to tell the whole story.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Donovan McNabb would be the only one if you’re willing to go back to 99.

I'm not willing to go back to 99, but I love me some McNabb!!!

2000 is the cutoff.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I strenuously object. 

Okay, fine, LOL.  One QB since 1999 who's scored less than 16 has proven to be successful.  That's one QB in 21 years, so my point is still made.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

victory!

I actually like it better, because McNabb was awesome.  Poor bastard had it rough since the exact moment he was drafted.  All he did was carve out (in my opinion) a Hall of Fame career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I actually like it better, because McNabb was awesome.  Poor bastard had it rough since the exact moment he was drafted.  All he did was carve out (in my opinion) a Hall of Fame career.

He's in the Hall of Very Good for sure.

47 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Claypool really knocked the combine out of the park. I mean it's not really important for WR but it doesn't hurt.

Last year John Brown said this was the most complex and toughest offensive scheme he had been in....

I think the coaches know it’s complex and what’s between the ears matters somewhat and is important. My 2¢

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree somewhat. The bottom line is that it’s a test you can practice for to put up a decent score. WR’s don’t need to hit 30+ but if you can’t hit double digits, you don’t care. It’d be like not training for 3 cone.

obviously that doesn’t translate 100% either. But that’s how I see it.

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Since 2000, not one QB who's scored less than 16 has proven to be successful for more than a year or two.

How many potential first round quarterbacks scored below that?  Vince Young and Lamar Jackson are the only two that come to mind.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Lamar Jackson also scored a 13.  It's possible this hurts Tua given interested teams can't interview him in person to test his football IQ because of the tomhanksvirus.

Damn that Tom Hanks... 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My 4 favorite value wrs right there at the top....and maybe Nate Stanley in the 6th if you have Barkley concerns?

I can’t imagine they make a 6th rd rookie Allen’s backup. Though I do hope they sign a different vet to replace barkley. 

58 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

victory!

Napalm in the morning, it smells like...

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How many potential first round quarterbacks scored below that?  Vince Young and Lamar Jackson are the only two that come to mind.

Jim Kelly got a 15. Terry Bradshaw and McNair did too. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's pretty basic information like math and language and problem solving, but the tough part is answering all the questions in the allotted time.

I just don't understand how some guys can score so low. It's literally their job to do well on it. They have months to prepare for it. Anyone preparing for the combine should be practicing for it. To me, the score isn't as concerning as the complete lack of preparation, because if you take the test only 2-3 times beforehand and study just a bit, your score should get better and better. But apparently some guys aren't interested at all in preparing for it. I don't think the scores say much about mental ability as much as they say about attitude and willingness to prepare and take things seriously.

As a college graduate taking it in my mid twenties I scored a 34 without knowing anything about it. If I studied a bit and took it a few times I bet I could get up to 40 pretty easily.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bss said:

Jim Kelly got a 15. Terry Bradshaw and McNair did too. 

That was a long, long time ago, though. People didn't prepare for the draft and combine like they do now.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That was a long, long time ago, though. People didn't prepare for the draft and combine like they do now.

Lamar didn't have an agent so the person preparing him for the wonderlic was probably his mom. Don't know Tuas excuse hes surrounded in talent and has guys like trent dilfer working with him.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Napalm in the morning, it smells like...

I made an extremely tasty black bean soup a few days ago. Maybe my best tasting soup ever!

I’m not trying to horrify anyone, but after my wife said she spent her night thinking it was just like contractions, I thought I knew what it felt like to squirt out a baby.  The rest of that delicious soup went down the drain. 

Sorry, but you reminded me of that....

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bss said:

Lamar didn't have an agent so the person preparing him for the wonderlic was probably his mom. Don't know Tuas excuse hes surrounded in talent and has guys like trent dilfer working with him.

Yeah, I was going to bring up the same thing. With how terrible and ill prepared he looked for his pro day, he probably wasn't prepared for anything else either, including the wonderlic. But still, it's his job to prepare for that and he didn't. Or he's just dumb. Not sure which.

Edited by MJS

5 minutes ago, Bss said:

You really can’t “prepare” for the wonderlic