Backup running back - how about going back to 2018?

Coach55

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did he really say downhill runner?

I’d hafta go back and listen to what Beane had said during that press conference recently to tell you what he said verbatim, but essentially yes.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

All that means is a slow plodding veteran.

That is a strategy that holds Allen back and doesn’t allow for points to be scored. 

When Frank Gore or Chris Ivory or Mike Tolbert or Lesean McCoy is on the field, the defense has no concern. They know it’s base defense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

It’s a relic of the past that coaches can’t get over.

Eh, doesn’t need to be a veteran, or a slow guy. I just think they want a guy that can slam the ball in there when the situation calls for someone to move the pile. Somebody with a little more size than Singletary at 5’7” 200lbs. I think it’s nice to have some variance in the backfield, same as you like to have in your receiver core. 

11 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I’d hafta go back and listen to what Beane had said during that press conference recently to tell you what he said verbatim, but essentially yes.

Eh, doesn’t need to be a veteran, or a slow guy. I just think they want a guy that can slam the ball in there when the situation calls for someone to move the pile. Somebody with a little more size than Singletary at 5’7” 200lbs. I think it’s nice to have some variance in the backfield, same as you like to have in your receiver core. 

No problem man, it’s a respected philosophy.

I just wonder if that method of achieving yards has been eclipsed by more efficient methods.

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Why must it always be a veteran. Last year with Gore did not work. Now people are considering Shady again.  Just stop. Draft a good young cheap RB to compliment Devin. This isn't rocket science. 

I agree with this. I get it, McDermott has taken the Bills to the Playoffs twice in three years and has a philosophy of a veteran in every personnel grouping, so he gets credit from the fans. 

But one aspect of football that I don’t agree with are guys like Lee Smith on the roster for blocking, Vlad Ducasse because he’s a veteran, going after Greg Olsen as a free agent Tight End, valuing Joe Webb as a “dual threat” or giving 10 carries a game, on average, to Frank Gore. 

Those guys are hanging on, when rookies are cheaper and have their best football in front of them. 

The Bills started to rebuild their offense in 2019 after the debacle of 2018 skill players. Diggs is another step in the right direction. Flush those bottom end guys off the roster. 

Gore was such a blind spot for the Front Office and Coaching Staff last year and played a role in the Bills Wildcard loss.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

If I could give you two "likes" for that, I would: one for the opinion and one for the metaphor.

I give you the right to use it without attribution. In fact, I'd prefer that it not be traceable to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Why must it always be a veteran. Last year with Gore did not work. Now people are considering Shady again.  Just stop. Draft a good young cheap RB to compliment Devin. This isn't rocket science. 

I didn’t love the Gore signing last season but one could argue that it did work. Gore was serviceable early in the year and kept the rookie from wearing down before the middle of the season. I really want them to draft Dobbins if at all possible. 

I will get flamed for this but if I was Beane I’d package the 2nd and 3rd round pick and climb the board a bit if he is there. He would have that much of an impact. 

Now all the guys that defended the Zay Zay trade for years can flame my Dobbins idea.

That ship has sailed, it appeared Shady felt slighted about the whole trade circumstance. 

20 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with this. I get it, McDermott has taken the Bills to the Playoffs twice in three years and has a philosophy of a veteran in every personnel grouping, so he gets credit from the fans. 

But one aspect of football that I don’t agree with are guys like Lee Smith on the roster for blocking, Vlad Ducasse because he’s a veteran, going after Greg Olsen as a free agent Tight End, valuing Joe Webb as a “dual threat” or giving 10 carries a game, on average, to Frank Gore. 

Those guys are hanging on, when rookies are cheaper and have their best football in front of them. 

The Bills started to rebuild their offense in 2019 after the debacle of 2018 skill players. Diggs is another step in the right direction. Flush those bottom end guys off the roster. 

Gore was such a blind spot for the Front Office and Coaching Staff last year and played a role in the Bills Wildcard loss.

Lee Smith is terrible 

Patrick DiMarco is terrible 

Frank Gore was terrible 

How about we stop with this ridiculous philosophy of having underperforming vets for their so called "mentorship". If that's Sean's objective it's not working. Fortunately for the sake of common sense, I think Beane will select a RB with one of our first 2 picks. 

Nah. I believe he’s shot, even if he doesn’t think he is and I want a compliment to DS, not an over the hill clone. 

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Lee Smith is terrible 

Frank Gore was terrible 

How about we stop with this ridiculous philosophy of having underperforming vets for their so called "mentorship". If that's Sean's objective it's not working. Fortunately for the sake of common sense, I think Beane will select a RB with one of our first 2 picks. 

I think they had some value when McBeane was building the roster. Now that the bulk of that building is completed, their value is negligible at best, and I’d prefer young depth with greater upside. 

23 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I wouldn’t go the washed up veteran route.

We don’t need more Mike Tolbert's, Chris Ivory’s, Frank Gore’s. 

Do what we did last year, get a 22-year old rookie with some juice in their legs.

The Bills/Beane will add competition, but I’d rather have Yeldon than McCoy.

That’s exactly where I’m at  , we already have Yeldon under contract for one more year and IMO he’s a pretty good option at RB2 who knows the system , draft RB in the later rounds for depth 

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Lee Smith is terrible 

Frank Gore was terrible 

Yeah, it’s obviously not working at all.  Playoffs 2 out of 3 years after not making it for almost 20.  Makes sense

edit: not that I’m a fan of DiMarco and Smith but I’m quite sure that our team is better due to having good locker room vets to help other with the trials and tribulations of being an nfl player, on the field and off

Edited by NewEra

There are like 100 better choices than McCoy.  Why would we bring him back?  He's a shell of himself now and also is jaded a bit about being released.  

56 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, it’s obviously not working at all.  Playoffs 2 out of 3 years after not making it for almost 20.  Makes sense

edit: not that I’m a fan of DiMarco and Smith but I’m quite sure that our team is better due to having good locker room vets to help other with the trials and tribulations of being an nfl player, on the field and off

Agree, its worked thus far and really helped build a players culture.  

That being said, its time to add a playmaker opposite Devin rather than a vet.  McCoy is DEFINITELY not the answer of course.  Draft someone to compliment him and let Yeldon backup Devin until our rookie is ready to step up as Devins primary backup and compliment.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, Coach55 said:

The perfect veteran backup running back is available to backstop Singletary.   He already knows the system and could probably be obtained cheap - that man - LeSean McCoy.   He wants to play 2 more years, he meets McDermott's work ethic standards and still has enough gas in the tank to be called on when needed.  He liked playing here and the only reason he was cut was for salary cap purposes.  Fast forward one year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the quality back up that we are all craving. 

No, how about a running back that can cram it down opponents throats. Shady is done and at best is a situational 3rd down back. 

1 hour ago, Putin said:

That’s exactly where I’m at  , we already have Yeldon under contract for one more year and IMO he’s a pretty good option at RB2 who knows the system , draft RB in the later rounds for depth 

Not playing Yeldon over Gore last year was one of Daboll/ Sean's worst decisions. It's like they were just carting him out there for that record. They'll be an amazing RB available to us in the 2nd round. Maybe someone a little better than Singletary? Who knows. And we won't have to spend big cap money on him either. They gotta scrub this vet RB idea. 

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not playing Yeldon over Gore last year was one of Daboll/ Sean's worst decisions. It's like they were just carting him out there for that record. They'll be an amazing RB available to us in the 2nd round. Maybe someone a little better than Singletary? Who knows. And we won't have to spend big cap money on him either. They gotta scrub this vet RB idea. 

Yeldon is the vet now and they will draft a RB in rounds 2-4 depending how the picks fall.

• Like (+1) 2