Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

1 minute ago, hjnick said:

I'd try and give him a base of around 10-12MIL with incentives to get upward of 15-18MIL depending on production.  This way if he doesn't produce you still get a good DE that disrupts things, but your not paying a premium if he doesn't ultimately get what you want... Sacks.

I'd be fine with that.

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

people have been down this road plenty of times no need to discuss further, he's a three time All Pro and obviously has a big impact if you watch.

Yeah, I watch and he's not a player I would give that much money to. No way.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we’re done. They spent a decent amount of that cap. We can afford more but I don’t think they’re breaking the bank for anyone. I also think clowney still will get more than a one year prove it deal. I’d bet he has more on the table from the giants or someone already it’s just not the 100 million he expected. 

This dude has reached that level where the myth is bigger than the man. Because of his size and athletic ability, a lot of people expected him to come in and tear up the league but he hasn't done that... but he thinks he has, and thinks he deserves the type of deal you give to a player who actually does come in and tear it up. 

Is the dude a game changer? Not really. Do offenses have to game plan around him? Probably not. Does he take over games and dominate? Not really. Could he be all these things? Sure, but right now he isn't, so he shouldn't expect some kinda mega-monster deal. Good player, but quite a few guys are doing it better than he is right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think we’re done. They spent a decent amount of that cap. We can afford more but I don’t think they’re breaking the bank for anyone. I also think clowney still will get more than a one year prove it deal. I’d bet he has more on the table from the giants or someone already it’s just not the 100 million he expected. 

I still would really like to see an upgrade somewhere on the OL - a second year working together under the same OL coach will help, but they are still just in the average category right now. 

Not sure who that would be in FA - but without a 1st round pick, they almost have to go OL in the 2nd IMHO

Edited by BobChalmers

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

I still would really like to see an upgrade somewhere on the OL - a second year working together under the same OL coach will help, but they are still just in the average category right now. 

Not sure where they can upgrade if they like ford at RT. 
Dawkins is about to get paid. Just paid Spain to stay. Morse. Feliciano. I don’t see any upgrades for those guys. Nsekhe is a capable tackle, the depth looks promising with bates and long able to play multiple positions. 
I can see maybe a tackle in the middle of the draft, but not a Trent Williams kinda add or anything. 

54 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Here is what I said on Monday:

Clearly he overestimated his own worth. That said, people are crazy to say he will go somewhere on a 1 year rental. He will likely sign  a  5-year 80-85 mill deal with 40-45 mill guaranteed. I can bet he will have offers at that price. The Jets will easily throw that money at him.

And even those numbers will be subject to a physical - whenever that can be completed.

I would gladly give him a one year deal if he’s not liking what he sees out there.  If he can’t put up the numbers with this defensive rotation, he won’t be able to do it anywhere 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Like I've been saying. Most overrated  player in the NFL

The Cam Newton thread is about halfway down the page.

But yeah, Clowney is overrated and not worth what he thinks.  I don't usually like guys like that on the Bills, but if they got a decent deal for one year he'd be motivated to play.