NBA suspends season due to coronavirus

brianthomas

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-covid-19/

The U.S. has about 1 million hospital beds. At any given time, about 68% of them are occupied. That leaves about 300,000 beds available nationwide.

The majority of people with Covid-19 can be managed at home. But among 44,000 cases in China, about 15% required hospitalization and 5% ended up in critical care. In Italy, the statistics so far are even more dismal: More than half of infected individuals require hospitalization and about 10% need treatment in the ICU.

If only 10% of cases warrant hospitalization, and the spread of the virus continues at the current pace, all hospital beds in the U.S. will be filled by about May 10. And with many patients requiring weeks of care, turnover will slow to a crawl as beds fill with Covid-19 patients.

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Gonna get a lot worse. Reports are SCOTUS and Senate briefed that 70-150M Americans could get infected. Run the 3.4% mortality rate by WHO and that is a grim number. 

Whois reporting that?

9 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don’t know what is a bigger joke. Basketball or everyone being terrified of a cold

I'd guess ignorance.

9 hours ago, mead107 said:

Over 151,000 die every day around the globe. 

I looked it up. 

100,000 health related 

I'm curious as to what point you are trying to make?

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Who is reporting that?

Congressional doctor predicts 70-150 million U.S. coronavirus cases

Congress' in-house doctor told Capitol Hill staffers at a close-door meeting this week that he expects 70-150 million people in the U.S. — roughly a third of the country — to contract the coronavirus, two sources briefed on the meeting tell Axios.

Why it matters: That estimate, which is in line with other projections from health experts, underscores the potential seriousness of this outbreak even as the White House has been downplaying its severity in an attempt to keep public panic at bay.

Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of the U.S. Congress, told Senate chiefs of staff, staff directors, administrative managers and chief clerks from both parties on Tuesday that they should prepare for the worst, and offered advice on how to remain healthy.

https://www.axios.com/congressional-physician-predicts-75-150-million-us-coronavirus-cases-fec69e77-1515-4fbc-8340-c53b65c22c53.html

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trust me everyone is hoping you are right

Why would we get that many cases?

China has had 80,000 in a country of over a billion people.

And I'm supposed to believe almost half of our population will get it?

Somewhere common sense and shitting your pants scared overlapped.

Our country has less than 1,400 reported cases. I am aware that number will climb much higher but 70-150 million?

No way, no how. 

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Our country has less than 1,400 reported cases. I am aware that number will climb much higher but 70-150 million?

No way, no how. 

They have also only tested less that 5,000 people.

Do the math

1200 / 4500 say = That's a 25% positive test rate

PLus you have Americans who are acting like this isn't an issue still because a virus that has affected the entire world is apparently just not going to affect America, because 'Murica.

The state of Washington is preparing to have over 100,000 cases in the next two weeks.

20 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No way, no how. 

the claim is 60 million in the US were effected by H1N1 a decade ago 

In case people totally forgot about it

Edited by row_33

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

There just has to be more to this story. How are they projecting half the country ends up with this thing? It is only SLIGHTLY more contagious than the common flu. 

Does HALF the population get the flu and how are they convinced this will not die out in the summer?

There just seems to be a lot of noise(from ALL sides of the political equation, so not really a political comment) and dearth of actual INFORMATION.

What if it’s not noise, my concern is we don’t truly know the scope of how bad this is.  Maybe, they aren’t telling us the whole truth out of fear it could create mass hysteria.  On the flip side, maybe they know the potential this has and they are warming everyone as if this is an end times illness, when in actuality, it’s not, but they want to control fast.  Either way, I’m taking it seriously.  Best case scenario, we laugh about it in a few months.

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No way, no how. 

It only makes sense in that most of China's population is immobile whereas Americans are highly mobile bringing themselves in contact with people that perhaps live thousands or miles away and may have had contact with people who have travelled considerable distances.  

59 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No way, no how. 

You’re looking at the cases today. The doctors are trying to project years down the road with this thing. For example, getting the swine flu is common today.

The question that should be asked in conjunction with “how many infected?” is “how lethal will it still be at that point?” These things tend to become less dangerous the longer they’re in circulation due both to vaccines being developed as well as simply the way viruses tend to evolve. They tend to get weaker over time as basically the cost of becoming more contagious. 

11 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

This is so ridiculous it's the freaking flu people!!! 68 people died in Chicago this year of gun violence that's more than 5X that have died from the virus in the U.S and you hear nothing about it. 61,000 people died from the flu in 2017-2018 flu season with 45 million infected. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. 

Wow!? 

Me thinks you should step out of your cave, Rokk. Nations don’t quarantine their own Country over the flu. Olympics, pro and amateur sports don’t come to a dead stop over the flu. Stock markets don’t crash over the flu. The media is just reporting what the WHO & CDC are warning about. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Wow!? 

Me thinks you should step out of your cave, Rokk. Nations don’t quarantine their own Country over the flu. Olympics, pro and amateur sports don’t come to a dead stop over the flu. Stock markets don’t crash over the flu. The media is just reporting what the WHO & CDC are warning about. 

The ignorance that is being shown to me during this is fascinating to me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Because we are laughably unprepared and aren't taking the threat serious enough.

Other countries like China and South Korea took the necessary steps to prevent the spread of the virus.  We're slowly coming around to it and still facing push back from those who don't believe what they aren't directly affected by.

The Rudy Gobert video, that's now making the rounds, encapsulates this country's arrogance and ignorance pertaining to coronavirus.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who'd want to miss out on another exciting sabres season?

I will admit they haven't been good for the most part this season. If Ullmark hadn't gotten hurt they would have been in the hunt. The game against Washington was exciting to watch. Winning doesn't always equal excitement. In general hockey is an exciting sport to watch. Better then football. 

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Because we are laughably unprepared and aren't taking the threat serious enough.

Other countries like China and South Korea took the necessary steps to prevent the spread of the virus.  We're slowly coming around to it and still facing push back from those who don't believe what they aren't directly affected by.

The Rudy Gobert video, that's now making the rounds, encapsulates this country's arrogance and ignorance pertaining to coronavirus.

you mean that Rudy is the ignorant one?

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I will admit they haven't been good for the most part this season. If Ullmark hadn't gotten hurt they would have been in the hunt. The game against Washington was exciting to watch. Winning doesn't always equal excitement. In general hockey is an exciting sport to watch. Better then football. 

they were never close to the talent of Boston or Tampa, and weren’t catching the indolent Leafs who turn effort on and off like a water tap

10 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

this may be worse that the virus.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Yes.

That’s the team I’ve taped and watched all games the last few years, I’m sure he meant no harm and is mortified to be the poster boy for the current horrible situation 

Edited by row_33

12 hours ago, DCOrange said:

The 3.4% number isn’t the actual mortality rate but it will still be a ton of deaths if it spreads that much. 

The rate ranges depending on how effective containment has been and the strain on local healthcare systems.  With a 10% to 20% hospitalization rate for those infected it doesn't take much of an outbreak to push our hospitals to the edge.  Then the mortality rate on routine illnesses like ruptured spleens will be nigh 100%.  

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I guess that I would ask how China took steps to prevent the spread?  Restricted travel is a general part of how their government operates and has been the case since it took form.  Also, I would ask who in the US was asking to be prepared in the US ahead of the outbreak as relating to Corona-V specifically.  Unfortunately, not being prepared is as old as humanity itself.

• Like (+1) 1