NBA suspends season due to coronavirus

brianthomas

Hopefully this subsides before the NFL season starts but i fear we're just at the beginning of this whole thing.

I imagine at the very least the NFL Draft will take place without any fans present... hopefully! I need to see who we pick up! haha.. stay safe TBD!

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Hopefully this subsides before the NFL season starts but i fear we're just at the beginning of this whole thing.

I imagine at the very least the NFL Draft will take place without any fans present... hopefully! I need to see who we pick up! haha.. stay safe TBD!

Everything can be done by phones so we will be good.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Gonna get a lot worse. Reports are SCOTUS and Senate briefed that 70-150M Americans could get infected. Run the 3.4% mortality rate by WHO and that is a grim number. 

It would amount to 2,380,000 deaths using the lowest number projection. That's nothing to sneeze at - no pun intended.

• Like (+1) 2

Unfortunately, I worry that we are just seeing the beginning of this thing. It’s a lot more serious than a flu and the world is treating it that way. We are seeing major steps taken in lots of countries. Playoffs in empty buildings (or outright cancelled) in Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Germany, Austria (etc). Major world events being cancelled. An entire 1st world country putting quarantine measures into place. I can’t really say I’ve quite seen anything like this in my lifetime. 

Check out this video interview with an infectious disease expert who’s job it is to handle things like coronaviruses. It might be an eye-opener for some.

They are (American hospital association) conservatively estimating 96 million infected, 4.8 million hospitalized, 480,000 deaths over just the next 3-7 months. I really hope those estimates are wrong! 

The stories about hospitals in Italy being so overwhelmed that doctors and nurses are having to choose which patients to let die is heartbreaking.

Edited by BillsFan4

8 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don’t know what is a bigger joke. Basketball or everyone being terrified of a cold

Is there a third choice? If so, I'm going with people who think a five-minute Google search is equivalent to a medical degree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

This is so ridiculous it's the freaking flu people!!! 68 people died in Chicago this year of gun violence that's more than 5X that have died from the virus in the U.S and you hear nothing about it. 61,000 people died from the flu in 2017-2018 flu season with 45 million infected. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. 

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Is there a third choice? If so, I'm going with people who think a five-minute Google search is equivalent to a medical degree.

they put aside their mastery of the finest nuances of Constitutional Law from Jan/Feb to their new immediate genius understanding of this topic 

keep safe folks....

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The don’t suspend the nba season for nothing do you understand how much money they are going to lose?

follow the money

Everyone is already terrified. Once news broke of a player having it people would have stayed home and they would have got a lot of bad press for endangering the public if they continued playing. They didn’t have much of a choice. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Everyone is already terrified. Once news broke of a player having it people would have stayed home and they would have got a lot of bad press for endangering the public. They didn’t have much of a choice 

yup, sucks but they had to shut it down 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

This is so ridiculous it's the freaking flu people!!!

Well....the flu without any natural resistance or vaccine.   Which does kinda make it quite a bit more serious.

I agree it's hard to reconcile the scale of the response because we've not seen anything like it before, but there are some pretty aggressive growth rates happening in spots around the world.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Gonna get a lot worse. Reports are SCOTUS and Senate briefed that 70-150M Americans could get infected. Run the 3.4% mortality rate by WHO and that is a grim number. 

That number assumes only the people who have been confirmed.  I would not be shocked if there were a lot of people carrying with little to no symptoms who have no idea they are infected.  If true, that would lower that rate significantly.

• Like (+1) 2