Update: Dak may be franchised (offered $33M) and Cooper transition tagged = at min $43M cap hit

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

at some point QB pay has to come back to earth.  Otherwise, it will become increasingly difficult to win with a 2nd contract QB.  I mean, Kirk is entering yr. 3 in Minn and still looks overpaid, and is wrecking cap havoc on Minn.  

As to 1, I put Josh in a category of "can carry a team."  I'd put Josh over Dak in ranking QB's.  And I'm not a blind JA fanboy.  He needs to improve accuracy (drops aside), and leading WR's open.  But Josh has the game-winning "it" ability that Dak does not.  

Right now today you would rank Josh above Dak? That is crazy. Absolutely fine to say you still think his ceiling is higher, he has more natural talent and he can take another jump this year then it might be a conversation.  But as of right now you rank him higher? Nah sorry. 

As for the QB pay point.... other than Brees and Brady who are ring chasing at the tail end of their careers and then the guys who are still on rookie deals who is paid less than Kirk Cousins that you think should be getting more than him? 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I hate this argument. If I could be the highest paid engineer in the country for 10 mins I would take that deal too

Would you if you knew that it meant every project you worked on was now going to fail because you're the only engineer they can afford and now you work with people that have the skill set of career politicians instead of engineers?

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I liked Dak as well.  That said, how the Cowboys handled him his first few years was almost the "anti-Josh".  Dak started with a very strong OL and a deadly run game with Zeke, that teams had to sell out to stop his rookie season.  Top 5 rush yards, 3 of his 4 years, and top-10 the 4th.  I think about his worst receiving corps was Beasley, Witten, and Des Bryant (maybe Bryant, Terrance Williams, Witten and Beasley his 2nd season).

It's like the Cowboys dropped him into the Executive VIP suite and then noticed if it was merely Preferred Customer treatment he didn't thrive as well.

That is a great description of exactly what happened over there!

My issue with giving Zak a 5 year guaranteed contract for 200 or so million dollars would be whether or not he is just that great to be worth the risk.  My gut reaction is to tend to think not.  As far as Cousins, no way.

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Would you if you knew that it meant every project you worked on was now going to fail because you're the only engineer they can afford and now you work with people that have the skill set of career politicians instead of engineers?

Do I still get paid?

Then yes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Any team who makes Dak a top 3 paid QB is a fool.  So I hope they do it cuz F Dallas.  He’s not terrible, but no way is he worth that money IMO.  

$43m for Dak and Amari???  Bahahahaha OMG I would love that.  Not that either is “bad”, but talk about over paying for them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Any team who makes Dak a top 3 paid QB is a fool.  So I hope they do it cuz F Dallas.  He’s not terrible, but no way is he worth that money IMO.  

$43m for Dak and Amari???  Bahahahaha OMG I would love that.  Not that either is “bad”, but talk about over paying for them.  

It's actually a bargain if they are going to shell out around $34,000,000 a year or more for Dak and then $15,000,000-$20,000,000 for Cooper. They won't be able to manipulate the cap hits like you could on a standard contract though. 

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's actually a bargain if they are going to shell out around $34,000,000 a year or more for Dak and then $15,000,000-$20,000,000 for Cooper. They won't be able to manipulate the cap hits like you could on a standard contract though. 

I’m not paying Dal $34m a year personally.  Nor am I paying Cooper that either.  Dak isn’t a top 5 QB, he’s not special IMO.  Cooper isn’t even a top 10 WR.  He’s good for a few big games with majority being mediocre or worse.  

Again neither is bad, and in fact would say both are even pretty good.  I’m just saying I’m not gonna pay this duo a cap choking amount of money as if they were top 3 players at their positions.  I don’t see them getting Dallas over the top.  It’s one thing to pay one, but both is a bit too rich for me.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am afraid that I must strongly disagree. Josh has 10x the arm, is stronger, and more athletic than those 2 combined.  Josh had so much talent that he was taken at #7 from a small football school.

I admit that Josh could bust out. I mean it is possible. That said, his ceiling is the Empire State Building. Kirk Cousins is a fancy journeyman.

No, I do not hope that Josh turns out as good as Cousins, but twice as good would seem almost OK.

Well if Josh averages 34 TDs, 7 INTs, and 5,308 yards passing over the next two seasons, he will equal Dak's first four years.

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Dak is criminally underrated by casual NFL fans. He was a top 5 QB in 2019. He had an outstanding year. 

He went 8-8 and didn’t make the playoffs besides the stats idk how you can say he had a outstanding year. He’s nothing without Elliott 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would say Dak had a better year than Zeke.

But notice when he’s handing the ball off to Zeke more his INT rate is low. This year they had him throwing too much and his INT rate went higher. He threw 11 this year while he usually only throws 4-5 maybe 6 Max the last couple of years. My point is he’s not worth 45 million a year and Jones is a fool to even offer him this type of money. He’s a top 10-15 QB not top 5. Stats don’t mean squat if you can’t even get your team to the playoffs. Also the only reason dak had a better year than zeke is because Garrett stopped running the ball and was relying on Prescott’s arm too much

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

22 hours ago, njbuff said:

Patrick Mahomes is going to make 60 mill a year at this rate.

That's nuts !! This is getting way out of hand, to throw a freakin football sorry i know you all can & will call me a dum ass but where & when will it stop ?

Sure these guys are special athletes & they work very hard to do what they do & are good at it but where does common sense & foolishness cross ?

I could see it if they had figured out a cure for cancer, or MS, or something monumentally life changing for a ton of people but come on already sure he won a SB & could win more but what is that worth for real ?

I just read this article & hope the owners are smart enough to not let this ever happen because it's IMHO just no worth it to pay some one this kind of cash to play a game ... It talks of Mahomes being allowed to take a percentage of the overall cap each year & that money is stupid money !!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/09/patrick-mahomes-should-ask-for-a-percentage-of-the-cap/

NFL

If you want a better than average starter = two options. 

1) Hit on draft pick and pay rookie contract.

2) Pay your draft pick or someone that hits free agency obscene money. Does not matter if that person is Mahomes, Jimmy G or Dak Prescott. 

Otherwise you rolling the dice with the Fitz, Tyrod or drafting a new QB every 4 years. 

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m not paying Dal $34m a year personally.  Nor am I paying Cooper that either.  Dak isn’t a top 5 QB, he’s not special IMO.  Cooper isn’t even a top 10 WR.  He’s good for a few big games with majority being mediocre or worse.  

Again neither is bad, and in fact would say both are even pretty good.  I’m just saying I’m not gonna pay this duo a cap choking amount of money as if they were top 3 players at their positions.  I don’t see them getting Dallas over the top.  It’s one thing to pay one, but both is a bit too rich for me.   

Somebody will pay him.  Then what's Dallas gonna do?  Who they gonna replace him with?

He's got "hand."