Favorite fast food places not available in WNY

Jrb1979

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just looked, and there’s one I could easily walk to from a park where I  walk or play tennis 4-5 times a week. It’s like two blocks away! I just come from the other direction. 

Very cool... check it out sometime. Its casual dining as opposed to fast food... you'll have a waiter and all that. I love their cole slaw but everything is good. Wish I still had one here, the closest one now is in Dade City.

Primos is pretty damned good.  Great rolls which really enhances the hoagie.  their diablo series are my jawn.

Let me add Hardees to the list.  Not sure if they are up in NY, i know we don't have them very close to the philly area, but i love hardees, never been to their alter ego Carls Jr,  but i imagine its the same

On 3/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I had Jersey Mike's for thr first time close to 20 years ago when I traveled to NC. They put one close to me about 2 years ago, and I remember it being much better the first time around. I love a good sub or hoagie (? @Joe in Winslow), and right now Primos is at the top of my list.

I was in Nashville this weekend and had 100% intent to go to Hattie B's.  Then someone said "No, to to princes".  then i read things online and wound up a bit north of the city at a place called Moores Spicy Chicken in a very non-descript strip plaza.  Without a frame of reference, i was very happy with my decision

6 hours ago, Metal Man said:

I always hit Earl of Sandwich any time I am in a city that has one.

I also have been thinking about Haddie B's hot chicken since going to Nashville for the Bills game last fall. That stuff was delicious.

Every SU game I have watched this season had commercials for a fast food place called Zaxbys. Never heard of it before that but the food looked pretty good, at least on TV.

Any one of those 3 coming up North to WNY or CNY would be great.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Maybe it's walleye.  Pike family right... 

Haven't been there this lent.

Northern gets tough when big, I think...

Walleye is in the perch family.  Best tasting freshwater fish, hands down.  Panfish (crappies) next best.  Then catfish and bullhead.

Pike shares a family with Muskie and pickerel.  That family is primarily catch and release (or mount, if you're a trophy guy), but very few people eat them.  Same with bass.  They're edible, but I don't think anyone says, "man, I can't wait to get home and eat this pike."

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Walleye is in the perch family.  Best tasting freshwater fish, hands down.  Panfish (crappies) next best.  Then catfish and bullhead.

Pike shares a family with Muskie and pickerel.  That family is primarily catch and release (or mount, if you're a trophy guy), but very few people eat them.  Same with bass.  They're edible, but I don't think anyone says, "man, I can't wait to get home and eat this pike."

Walleye is yellow pike.  Used to be a blue pike, better tasting... Gramps would fish it.  Not in L.Erie anymore.

Pike is bony, right?  Why you find it gefilte fish?  Along with other "rough" fish.

21 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Maybe it's walleye.  Pike family right... 

Haven't been there this lent.

Northern gets tough when big, I think...

They advertise north Atlantic cod on their commercials.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Walleye is yellow pike.  Used to be a blue pike, better tasting... Gramps would fish it.  Not in L.Erie anymore.

Pike is bony, right?  Why you find it gefilte fish?  Along with other "rough" fish.

Blue/yellow pike are in the walleye family.  Northern pike are not.  Northern pike and pickerel are bony.  Blue/yellow pike and walleye have more meat.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We have Stake and Shake down hear in South Fla. but you get can decent/good fast burgers anywhere.

What I really miss here and home is Garcia's Mexican Restaurant I believe it was in West Seneca (Union Road). 

Down here it was on Pine Island in Davie Fl. Oh the cheese crisp with the hot sauce and margaritas.....I believe they're in Arizona still but that doesn't help.

What I wouldn't give for a Mighty Taco down here, the Burritos, the loganberry, chips & cheese, the empanadas... oh a man can dream!

Edited by qwksilver

13 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I was in Nashville this weekend and had 100% intent to go to Hattie B's.  Then someone said "No, to to princes".  then i read things online and wound up a bit north of the city at a place called Moores Spicy Chicken in a very non-descript strip plaza.  Without a frame of reference, i was very happy with my decision

I guess there is the possibility that Haddie B's to the Nashville locals is how most WNY folks view Anchor Bar.

If I make it to Nashville again this season I might have to venture out to some local suggestions for hot chicken to put that to the test.

Haddie B's was great though. I can usually handle things on the hot side but for my visit there I only chose "Hot" for my heat level which was still two levels from the hottest, just below "Damn Hot" and "Shut the Cluck Up". I think I made the right choice as it was extremely spicy but not quite too hot too eat and enjoy. Definitely a different hot than wing sauce. I believe it was cayenne pepper based. In any case it was very good stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Blue/yellow pike are in the walleye family.  Northern pike are not.  Northern pike and pickerel are bony.  Blue/yellow pike and walleye have more meat.

Please, enuf.  Get a room ferchrissakes.

Sonic has a great shakes menu.

Edited by Cripple Creek

I like your comparison to Anchor Bar. I did the same thing but used Pat's and Geno's for Cheesesteaks in Philly.  Those are the touristy places, the better ones are dotted all across the area.  Your right, it is a different hot, i also went with Hot and any more would have me wriggling on the ground.  I was warned to dial it back a level for what i would normally do, which almost led me to go medium, but i braved the hot and was glad i did

4 hours ago, Metal Man said:

I guess there is the possibility that Haddie B's to the Nashville locals is how most WNY folks view Anchor Bar.

If I make it to Nashville again this season I might have to venture out to some local suggestions for hot chicken to put that to the test.

Haddie B's was great though. I can usually handle things on the hot side but for my visit there I only chose "Hot" for my heat level which was still two levels from the hottest, just below "Damn Hot" and "Shut the Cluck Up". I think I made the right choice as it was extremely spicy but not quite too hot too eat and enjoy. Definitely a different hot than wing sauce. I believe it was cayenne pepper based. In any case it was very good stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, Gugny said:

With the pike, the issue isn't so much with the meat as it is with it being a pain in the arse to clean. The fillet is good eating, it just takes some knowledge and extra work to cut it properly. That Y-bone is annoying af.

Bass can actually be pretty good early in the year if you catch them in clean, moving water. I've fried it right on the bank with shore lunch and had it come out very tasty. But yeah, if you wait until the weather warms up (after March/April) it gets pretty mushy and gross.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i'd rather sleep with royal than eat those things.

I'm telling you, they taste very close to a regular Heb Nat'l.

I ate these years ago when I was on Weight Watchers.

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You’re...Survivorman!  ?

I like Les Stroud cuz he's the only one of those guys that would ever go out there really solo and do his thing.

If he had shore lunch it was with twigs and bark; those other pretenders had a film crew that brought the stuff I'd use ; - )

Image result for shore lunch

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Les Stroud is an absolute bad ass.  Bear Grylls is as well, but to your point, Les seemingly does it completely on his own

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I like Les Stroud cuz he's the only one of those guys that would ever go out there really solo and do his thing.

If he had shore lunch it was with twigs and bark; those other pretenders had a film crew that brought the stuff I'd use ; - )

Image result for shore lunch

On 3/9/2020 at 9:20 AM, T&C said:

We have Zaxby's down here... its ok, nothing great nothing bad.

Have you tried Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken.  Started in Memphis area but have been franchising.    Spicy chicken with limited sides.  Better than most fast food fried chicken.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:43 PM, Gugny said:

A nice 2-3 lb healthy bass is my favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/10/2020 at 8:11 AM, Cripple Creek said:

Sonic has a great shakes menu.

I am not much of fast food eater except on road but when I worked in California used to eat at Sonic.  Not found in NVA but is found in Richmond area.  Looked on their website and there is one on 3601 UNION ROAD, CHEEKTOWAGA, but do not remember ever seeing it. Amazes how many there are in some areas.  I guess it is due to local franchise owner deciding competition is not up to stuff and just expanding.

Just now, CajunBillsBacker said:

Nope, those would be my choices also. We need a Whataburger in the Nola/Metairie area.

I know!! It sucks that there isn’t one closer than LaPlace. If I head to BR or that way I usually try to make a stop. It’s not very often but Whatburger is really good. I can hit a sand wedge to Cane’s from my office at the end of Vets.

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is an easy topic. The answer is Raising Cane’s and the 2nd place finisher is Whataburger. Everything else falls in behind them.

Popeyes > Raising Canes 

They snatched the chicken belt with the spicy chicken sandwich 

Popeyes or Rally’s/Checkers holds the French Fry belt.  

Edited by Teddy KGB