Favorite fast food places not available in WNY

Jrb1979

Just got back from driving to Myrtle Beach. Got to try a couple of fast food places that are not in the WNY/Ontario region. I found Bojangles and Jack in the Box to be good. What are some of the ones you have come across on your travels that you wish WNY/Ontario had?

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not sure if they're in WNY or not, but 5 Guys is pretty good & Priomos subs as well.

5 guys yes but overpriced.  Primo Hoagies-negative.

Biscuitville should expand up North.

27 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not sure if they're in WNY or not, but 5 Guys is pretty good & Primos subs as well.

My wife was out for drinks after work with a friend who said “I’ve never done five guys before.” My wife didn’t Know what to say......she had never heard of the burger chain. 

• Haha (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Hoagies ?

We talk different round here. Say things like supper instead of dinner, and "outen the lights" instead of turn the lights out. And crick instead of creek. Mow the grass instead of cut the lawn.

Used to have Dog n Suds and Arthur Treachers back home... don't have them here either but I think DNS is still around and AT is being sold at other restaurants.

Have a 5 guys 1,200 feet away... have no desire to way over pay for a burger, never gone there. There is a Moe's next door to them, haven't been in at least 10 years. I'll take Steak n Shake all day long for a good burger and there are so many mom n pop authentic Mexican places around that make Moe's look and taste like dog *****.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Jersey Mike’s makes me wonder how Subway still exists. 

I had Jersey Mike's for thr first time close to 20 years ago when I traveled to NC. They put one close to me about 2 years ago, and I remember it being much better the first time around. I love a good sub or hoagie (? @Joe in Winslow), and right now Primos is at the top of my list.

34 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Freddy’s frozen custard and steakburgers is decent.   

We have them out here and I love the double California steakburgers.  Their super thin fries aren't particularly good though.  And I don't know if this is the case at all locations, but they are extremely slow here.  Like I spend most of my entire lunch hour waiting for a take-out order slow.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Publix makes me wonder how Jersey Mike's exists. The wife went to mikes a couple of months ago for a sub and it was $11. Said she'll never go back and I don't blame her one bit.

The Subway by me is pretty decent actually... maybe I'm lucky and have one of the good ones. Herb n Cheese roll is the choice here.

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Just got back from driving to Myrtle Beach. Got to try a couple of fast food places that are not in the WNY/Ontario region. I found Bojangles and Jack in the Box to be good. What are some of the ones you have come across on your travels that you wish WNY/Ontario had?

Bojangles chicken is meh.  I'd put them #3 behind Popeyes and Chik-Fil-A (Popyes chicken sammich FTW).  But Bojangles does have good fries

49 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

5 guys yes but overpriced

Overpriced yes.  But worth it every once in a while.

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Subway is still in business because their food is dirt cheap compared to the rest.  As far as the competitors, I prefer Firehouse to Jersey Mike or Jimmy Johns.  I also enjoy a good Wawa sub.  But my favorite sub chain is a Hampton Roads local franchise, Zeros

Just now, /dev/null said:

Bojangles chicken is meh.  I'd put them #3 behind Popeyes and Chik-Fil-A (Popyes chicken sammich FTW).  But Bojangles does have good fries

Overpriced yes.  But worth it every once in a while.

Subway is still in business because their food is dirt cheap compared to the rest.  As far as the competitors, I prefer Firehouse to Jersey Mike or Jimmy Johns.  I also enjoy a good Wawa sub.  But my favorite sub chain is a Hampton Roads local franchise, Zeros

Wawa's gone to ***** hoagie-wise. Food quality is low. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, T&C said:

Publix makes me wonder how Jersey Mike's exists. The wife went to mikes a couple of months ago for a sub and it was $11. Said she'll never go back and I don't blame her one bit.

The Subway by me is pretty decent actually... maybe I'm lucky and have one of the good ones. Herb n Cheese roll is the choice here.

Publix does make a pretty good sub, but it’s a bit of a hassle. Big parking lots and long lines at the places around me. I’m kind of mad at Publix right now because I realized they’ve been ripping me off for decades. Bananas there are 20% more expensive that Whole Foods. Got skirt steak for fajita’s yesterday at Krogers for $7.99/lb. The skirt steak at Publix, you ask? It’s $15.99/lb. Cod was $6.99 at Kroger and $14.99 at Publix. Milk? Yep, $1.49 vs $2.49. I’m not a “shopper”, but once I became aware of this it became a sore spot. I’ve been almost exclusively a Publix shopper for a quarter of a century! 

Anyway, the #5 mini on white, Mike’s Way with chips and a drink was in the regular rotation when I worked near one. 

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife was out for drinks after work with a friend who said “I’ve never done five guys before.” My wife didn’t Know what to say......she had never heard of the burger chain. 

i hear in-N-out burger is popular.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Publix does make a pretty good sub, but it’s a bit of a hassle. Big parking lots and long lines at the places around me. I’m kind of mad at Publix right now because I realized they’ve been ripping me off for decades. Bananas there are 20% more expensive that Whole Foods. Got skirt steak for fajita’s yesterday at Krogers for $7.99/lb. The skirt steak at Publix, you ask? It’s $15.99/lb. Cod was $6.99 at Kroger and $14.99 at Publix. Milk? Yep, $1.49 vs $2.49. I’m not a “shopper”, but once I became aware of this it became a sore spot. I’ve been almost exclusively a Publix shopper for a quarter of a century! 

Anyway, the #5 mini on white, Mike’s Way with chips and a drink was in the regular rotation when I worked near one. 

It depends on the time of day I suppose. Publix is a place you have to keep your eye out for sure. Still, they will pretty much do anything to please the customer. A month ago I went on over looking for turkey thighs. They had none. Butcher comes to me and says give me ten minutes.. he took a whole turkey out of the case, did his "butchering", and presented me with two perfect ones... for around $4.00, way cheaper than if they had had them in stock. 

Still hitting that Aldi?

19 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Never got to try Bojangles chicken but I would put their breakfast over McDonalds. Their coffee was a lot better too. 

49 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

We have them out here and I love the double California steakburgers.  Their super thin fries aren't particularly good though.  And I don't know if this is the case at all locations, but they are extremely slow here.  Like I spend most of my entire lunch hour waiting for a take-out order slow.  

Same here.    Service is hit or miss.   Too many kids working who take forever. 

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

It depends on the time of day I suppose. Publix is a place you have to keep your eye out for sure. Still, they will pretty much do anything to please the customer. A month ago I went on over looking for turkey thighs. They had none. Butcher comes to me and says give me ten minutes.. he took a whole turkey out of the case, did his "butchering", and presented me with two perfect ones... for around $4.00, way cheaper than if they had had them in stock. 

Still hitting that Aldi?

Publix gives you a very good experience. They are consistent like a Hampton Inn and they generally OWN the markets they are in. They have one every two miles in Sarasota. SimilaR HERE. They leave very little room for competition. Kroger can be a Ritz Carlton or a dumpster in an alley. Hit or miss. 

I made all of one trip into an Aldi. It was interesting, but not nearly as convenient as the others. If I’m feeling frugal I hit a so-so Kroger, but still do most shopping at Publix. 

A couple months ago I went to an “old fashion butcher shop” looking for boneless beef short ribs. The guy says they don't do that. Really? This is a butcher shop, right? Or is it Monty Python’s cheese shop? I call Whole Foods right in front of him, they connect me to the meat dept, tell him what I want and he tells me it will be ready in 15 minutes. I thanked “the butcher” for his time and went to WF. 

11 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Never got to try Bojangles chicken but I would put their breakfast over McDonalds. Their coffee was a lot better too. 

Their biscuts are good too.  But the chicken which is their primary attraction, is pretty uninspiring.

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Publix gives you a very good experience. They are consistent like a Hampton Inn and they generally OWN the markets they are in. They have one every two miles in Sarasota. SimilaR HERE. They leave very little room for competition. Kroger can be a Ritz Carlton or a dumpster in an alley. Hit or miss. 

I made all of one trip into an Aldi. It was interesting, but not nearly as convenient as the others. If I’m feeling frugal I hit a so-so Kroger, but still do most shopping at Publix. 

A couple months ago I went to an “old fashion butcher shop” looking for boneless beef short ribs. The guy says they don't do that. Really? This is a butcher shop, right? Or is it Monty Python’s cheese shop? I call Whole Foods right in front of him, they connect me to the meat dept, tell him what I want and he tells me it will be ready in 15 minutes. I thanked “the butcher” for his time and went to WF. 

You always struck me as the John Cleese sort.  How was the bouzouki music there?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Subway is still a lot bigger of a chain than Jersey Mike's.  I do agree that a Jersey Mike's sub is much better than Subway; I won't go to Subway any longer.

I don’t get burgers at fast food restaurants often.  I almost always go to Five Guys when I do.  I’d love to try an In-n-out burger sometime.  One of my (half) brothers who grew up in the Bay Area and Denver swears they are his favorite. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t get burgers at fast food restaurants often.  I almost always go to Five Guys when I do.  I’d love to try an In-n-out burger sometime.  One of my (half) brothers who grew up in the Bay Area and Denver swears they are his favorite. 

18.86 for burger, fries, and drink is a tough pill to swallow.     Place is dead to me. 

Can get double the food at Texas Roadhouse for 9.99.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I may not order a dozen burgers a year, usually at a higher end place. Bar food.  Sometimes at Wendy’s when I’m on the road. It’s usually a chicken sandwich if I have to get fast food. There is a Five Guys about a mile from me, so I may drop in there to check it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Whataburger.  Anytime I go to Texas, I make sure to get at least one stop in. 

Had one in Plant City Fl back in the 80's... just off exit 11 on I-4... would stop in on the way home a few times a week. 

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

18.86 for burger, fries, and drink is a tough pill to swallow.     Place is dead to me. 

Can get double the food at Texas Roadhouse for 9.99.  

My last family order was 2 cheeseburgers (2 patties each), 1 BLT plus one little fry and no drinks as it was carry out.  Total was $24.26 plus $2.12 tax.  2 drinks for the kids would’ve added to that (I always get water).  Still, it’s about $10 pp on average when I go unless my 17 year old son is starving and gets a second burger.  That’s a very, very small premium over McD’s, BK, Wendy’s, etc.

As for the one little fry, if you’ve never gone to 5 Guys they always over serve fries.  They give you the container and then, regardless of size or number of fry containers purchased, dump a measured tin of fries into the bag.  I think it’s more fries than the little fry container has in it.  It’s part of their schtick.  We never want for more.  Honestly, the burgers are so filling I rarely even need the fries.  But they are fresh cut and soooo good.

Whatever Burger toppings you want are all included.  I get mine All the Way plus grilled jalapeños and hot sauce. 

Edited by BarleyNY