Redskins give Trent Williams the green light to seek trade.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82466/jets-paint-themselves-into-a-cornerback-can-they-buy-their-way-out

3. Say no to Trent Williams: The Jets will monitor the Trent Williams situation, but I would be surprised if they trade for the disgruntled Redskins star. The Jets have been there, done that with aging linemen (see: Ryan Kalil and Kelechi Osemele) and it didn't work out.

Williams, who will turn 32 in July, is seeking an extension (he is signed for 2020) that will pay him $20 million per year, according to reporting by ESPN's John Keim. That's crazy money. Unless they can get Williams for a mid-round pick and his existing contract ($12.5 million), the Jets should pass and look for their left tackle in the draft.

Trent Williams is looking for $20,000,000 per season? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He’s never played for the Panthers so I wouldn’t count on us having interest

Yeah, kind of like John Brown, Cole Beasley, and almost every other player we signed last off-season.

I don’t see this happening.  They are quite happy with Dawkins and plan to keep him.  And Trent doesn’t play RT.  Don’t Beane spending a draft asset to get a 31 year old LT to play RT and also pay him when he can draft an actual RT or sign one in FA if they feel a need to upgrade competition for Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

This thread should almost be OT. The likelihood of Trent Williams joining the Bills could not be lower. He has been an incredible LT as recently as 2018, but he has been hurt and sat out his age 31 season. He would require draft capital to acquire, something our very wise FO is loathe to do. He also is redundant with our current OL most needing a RT. I think we can curb this thread. 

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

I think you missed the sarcasm bud

3 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Check the sarcasm settings on your computer. I think they’re broke

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Whooosh

And yet we see this exact sentiment all the time.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So with the reports he wants 20M a year. My answer will be a hard no for the Bills. 

Pretty sure the combination of what Washington wants in draft compensation and what Williams is looking for in a contract will equal him playing out his deal where he is.  If he was turning 26 and a picture of health it’d be a different situation.

36 minutes ago, papazoid said:

steep.....but would pay it in a heartbeat

if i'm going to splurge...it's on a 7x perennial all pro LT

move dawkins to RT......move ford to OG.....now you got something......

both your passing and run game just got better

When was the last time he actually played football?  Heck even put a helmet on.  And BTW he isn't a 7x All Pro.  Only been an All Pro ONCE

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:29 PM, TheProcess said:

Maybe you can debate whether he handled the situation appropriately, but saying he wouldn’t fit in culturally here is a bit presumptive. The guy had a legitimate beef with how they handled his medical situation. Yeah, I’m sure he wants a re-worked contract too, but to say he’s not process enough for the Bills is a little unfair. The guy kept his mouth shut and played for a mediocre to awful team for most of his career. I think he’d fit in fine here. I’m just not sure he’d want to play right tackle. 

I agree - the issue about this will be that his contract demands & positional demands will make likely make the possible acquisition of Williams a "no go" from the start for the Bills. I also do not agree that Williams would not be a "process guy" - it seems the situation with him in Washington was more the result of the horrendous Redskins franchise than anything about Williams personally.  However -- as it stands we are a little short on guys named "Williams" on the team right now - perhaps adding him could move us back up closer our normal complement of Williams'.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This should’ve occurred to me before, but it’s entirely possible that Williams’ agent is throwing out a big contract number for some reasons beyond necessarily demanding it:

- It might be an attempt to drive down the trade demands from Washington. 

- He might have a preference of where or what kind of team he wants to play for and the $20M number might be for the undesirable teams.  An “If you’re going to send me to Siberia I’ll do it for $20M a year, but I’ll take considerably less to chase a ring.” kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This should’ve occurred to me before, but it’s entirely possible that Williams’ agent is throwing out a big contract number for some reasons beyond necessarily demanding it:

- It might be an attempt to drive down the trade demands from Washington. 

- He might have a preference of where or what kind of team he wants to play for and the $20M number might be for the undesirable teams.  An “If you’re going to send me to Siberia I’ll do it for $20M a year, but I’ll take considerably less to chase a ring.” kind of thing.

I doubt it, Trent knows his next contract likely his last big money type deal. Personally his injury history and way he sat out last year puts a bad taste in my mouth. That said I could see him going to New England for a 2nd and do them well. Who knows with Brady not being there they might be able to pony up the money he wants.