Redskins give Trent Williams the green light to seek trade.

he basically had a year off for his body to rest up. if he wants to play right tackle this would be perfect. i'd go a third cause the skins aren't getting great value for him. is there a player we could afford to give up? 

16 minutes ago, wppete said:

I respect Lamar having his mom as his agent. Good for him and taking care of his mom. 

I just hope she is capable and they pay for the best advice where they need it. I think teams like the Ravens or the Bills would not abuse the relationship, but the Redskins or the Bengals do not inspire me with the same level of confidence. 

There are a lot of ways to help mom. One way to help EVERYBODY is not to put her in over her head without sufficient support where needed.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he basically had a year off for his body to rest up. if he wants to play right tackle this would be perfect. i'd go a third cause the skins aren't getting great value for him. is there a player we could afford to give up? 

That is my thing. The contract wouldn’t be bad IMO I think it would be something like Spencer Long. Club options maybe put his 2020 salary at guaranteed 18M. have a 3 or 4 year deal that is essentially a 2 year deal. Gives you two years to groom Ford as a RT or find another one. 

key is if he is willing to play RT. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Beane is such a wizard that he has going to somehow work out a way to pay every starter on the roster Top10 money...

If one looks at positional spending, the Bills are currently way down there for OL.

Top of the list: Raiders, Cowboys, Falcons (meh) but also Chiefs, Packers, Steelers, Saints, ...Titans, Eagles, Texans - lot of teams going to playoffs regularly.

It is possible that if the Bills want to improve, they either need to commit to paying more on OL, or they need to invest a few top round picks.

We're paying almost exactly half what the Cowboys spend.  We could, in fact, pay Trent Williams $12.5M AND pay Dawkins $15M AAV, and we'd be like 3rd in the league for OL spending...maybe less as we might shuffle around the other positions.

I'm not saying we should, just pointing out that investing top $ in the lines on both sides is not a bad choice.

• Like (+1) 1

We could always just grab Daryl Williams to play RT and slide Ford over to guard. He was all the rage here last year if I recall correctly. He’s not the same talent as Trent Williams, but he’s a free agent (keep our draft picks), he’s only 27, may not cost as much $, already plays RT, and Beane and McD know what kind of person and player he is having been with him in Carolina. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If one looks at positional spending, the Bills are currently way down there for OL.

Top of the list: Raiders, Cowboys, Falcons (meh) but also Chiefs, Packers, Steelers, Saints, ...Titans, Eagles, Texans - lot of teams going to playoffs regularly.

It is possible that if the Bills want to improve, they either need to commit to paying more on OL, or they need to invest a few top round picks.

We're paying almost exactly half what the Cowboys spend.  We could, in fact, pay Trent Williams $12.5M AND pay Dawkins $15M AAV, and we'd be like 3rd in the league for OL spending...maybe less as we might shuffle around the other positions.

I'm not saying we should, just pointing out that investing top $ in the lines on both sides is not a bad choice.

I agree that investing dollars into the OL is not a bad idea...

I just think that paying Morse last year, Dawkins this year ( probably) would mean it is getting a bit pricey to bring in a guy like Trent Williams as well ( You have $12.5M - he probably thinks he is getting more, and  you also need to factor into the cost a draft pick to trade for him..)

I would also like to think they will keep Feliciano past this year and whilst he wont be a Top 10 at the position, he will probably cost more than what they are paying him this year..

Just my thoughts...

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

So your going to pay top dollar to him and now its Dawkins turn. Everybody looks at that big cap money and think it never ends. White is going to be first in line. Throw in Milano, Dawkins and then Josh Poof gone.

You nailed it.  Certain members of this board seem to think, and cant be told otherwise, the Bills are going to be in on Cooper, Hooper, Ngakoue, Clowney and any other big name free agent.  After they pay White, Dawkins, Poyer and Milano, then stash the ten million Beane usually does for in season moves they may have 25-30 million left for all of their free agents.  They arent looking to pay someone not already in their building 20 million per season.  Going to be alot of disappointment here in a few weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Dawkins is a good LT but Williams is a great LT.  If anyone should move to the RT position, it should be Dawkins.  Ford can move inside to LG, and Spain (whom I like a lot, and who played really wall last year) would be the odd man out.  

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You nailed it.  Certain members of this board seem to think, and cant be told otherwise, the Bills are going to be in on Cooper, Hooper, Ngakoue, Clowney and any other big name free agent.  After they pay White, Dawkins, Poyer and Milano, then stash the ten million Beane usually does for in season moves they may have 25-30 million left for all of their free agents.  They arent looking to pay someone not already in their building 20 million per season.  Going to be alot of disappointment here in a few weeks.

Go back and re-read my post. Never once suggested that we be in on all those players. Nor did I say I wanted Williams. Mike’s post suggested some sort of character flaw/anti process. I disagree. 

On the flip side, too many people on this board are acting like we are only $10-20 million under the cap. It’s that Buffalo Bills fan fear bunkering. The Bills have players they need to extend. Core guys. We get it. But no matter what Beane and co tell you publicly, they know this is the year they’ve been planning for to make some noise. They have to make moves to improve this team while the cheap QB contract window is open. Will they be reckless and get every top guy? Absolutely not. But just extending current players we have won’t cut it. They know that. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Go back and re-read my post. Never once suggested that we be in on all those players. Nor did I say I wanted Williams. Mike’s post suggested some sort of character flaw/anti process. I disagree. 

On the flip side, too many people on this board are acting like we are only $10-20 million under the cap. It’s that Buffalo Bills fan fear bunkering. The Bills have players they need to extend. Core guys. We get it. But no matter what Beane and co tell you publicly, they know this is the year they’ve been planning for to make some noise. They have to make moves to improve this team while the cheap QB contract window is open. Will they be reckless and get every top guy? Absolutely not. But just extending current players we have won’t cut it. They know that. 

A. I was responding to another part of your thread not your original post.

B.  Stop with the fear bunkering stuff you stole from wgr.

C.  I didnt say theyd only extend their guys I said theyd extend their guys and have 25 to 30 million to get other free agents not 25 to 30 million to sign one of two guys.

D.  If you watch this team and think they build for just one year youre missing their intent big time.

Paying guys now impacts years beyond this one.  Not a lot of guys are looking to sign one year deals and the Bills arent looking to do something today to limit their success later.  Its never just about one year for them.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m over the whole “not a process guy” thing. The Bills had a trade worked out for ANTONIO BROWN!!! The assumption that the Bills will only entertain certain personalities is not just misguided, it’s wrong. When Beane and McDermott arrived they wanted to establish a core in the locker room. They did that. They then negotiated a deal for ANTONIO BROWN!! Stop looking at every player through the “not a process lens” and figure out if the guy makes sense for the Bills. In Williams case, at his position and at his contract demands, I don’t think it makes sense.

At the time of the trade for AB it was not known how crazy he was- and he while he was a Diva he never got in the way of his team winning like OBJ. Now I am so glad he did not want us.

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

We could always just grab Daryl Williams to play RT and slide Ford over to guard. He was all the rage here last year if I recall correctly. He’s not the same talent as Trent Williams, but he’s a free agent (keep our draft picks), he’s only 27, may not cost as much $, already plays RT, and Beane and McD know what kind of person and player he is having been with him in Carolina. 

If the Bills bring him in I will be excited because they know what he brings and he works well with Cam Newton.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I just hope she is capable and they pay for the best advice where they need it. I think teams like the Ravens or the Bills would not abuse the relationship, but the Redskins or the Bengals do not inspire me with the same level of confidence. 

There are a lot of ways to help mom. One way to help EVERYBODY is not to put her in over her head without sufficient support where needed.

I read an article where Lamar said his mom is NOT his agent. She's his manager. He represented himself because everything is pretty much slotted when it comes to rookie deals. Not too complicated. Almost 5 mil guaranteed and close to 10 mil total. If the 3% is on the guaranteed $, that's 150k saved. If it's on the 10 mil, that's close to 300k saved. Smart move. I think he'll hire an agent for the extension. More complicated.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I read an article where Lamar said his mom is NOT his agent. She's his manager. He represented himself because everything is pretty much slotted when it comes to rookie deals. Not too complicated. Almost 5 mil guaranteed and close to 10 mil total. If the 3% is on the guaranteed $, that's 150k saved. If it's on the 10 mil, that's close to 300k saved. Smart move. I think he'll hire an agent for the extension. More complicated.

She either messed up, or was brilliant by not preparing him for the Wonderlic test. His 13 was a clear indication that he did NOT focus on preparation for that. Not saying that’s why he fell, but there were some concerns. 

All good, he’s showing he can play so far. It all works out in the end if you slide in the draft, end up in a better place and show enough to get the NEXT deal, where the real money is. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can get behind this suggestion as I think it will make a big difference.  The DBs will have an easier job on defense and the offense will improve in both running and passing.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Dawkins is a good LT but Williams is a great LT.  If anyone should move to the RT position, it should be Dawkins.  Ford can move inside to LG, and Spain (whom I like a lot, and who played really wall last year) would be the odd man out.  

I thought I remember hearing that this was tried and didn't work out well.  Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I thought I recall that Dawkins isn't as good on the right side of the line.