Chase Claypool- I know you want to talk about him

NewEra

On 2/28/2020 at 8:56 PM, Maine-iac said:

Miles Boykins 2.0

No offense, MVP or not, look at who his QB is and the breakdown of that QB's completions. Out of 265 completions, 125 of those were to TE's. Then you have 49 completions to RB's. That's 174 of his 265 completions. There were 91 spread around to the WR group with Marquise Brown getting 46 of those. He was the speed guy, a bona fide threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball whom they schemed for. Then you have Snead who was Lamar's security blanket getting 31 receptions. Lamar only targeted Boykin 22 times and he turned that into 13 catches for 198 yards with 3 TD's. He had 1 drop in those targets with only 17 of them being considered catchable. That offense is not an offense that you can really judge WR's off of. We all knew what Brown was and that Roman would scheme for him. I don't know if Boykin will ever be used in Baltimore or be able to do as well as he would in say a GB, NO, Seattle, Houston, KC, or anywhere else that has a true passing QB. I'm not saying he would be a superstar, but he would likely have had more production as a rookie.  

Claypool on the other hand differs from Boykin in many ways. First off he weighs 18lbs more than Boykin, but is just as fast. Claypool is clearly a more physical WR if you compare the two in their time at Notre Dame. Claypool also has a bit more twitch to him than Boykin did and can beat DB's on inside slants with more consistency. Yes they both ran a 4.42 at the combine, but if you watch them both at ND Claypool is faster in pads than Boykin. Claypool also has better body control and awareness than Boykin, always being able to layout or twist his body for the ball while getting a foot in bounds to secure the catch. They are two completely different players outside of their height and 40 time. The comparison is lazy at best.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They will be gone too by 22...

I think three QBs go before us, maybe four. It’s not far fetched to think a tackle can fall to us with these guys ahead of us. Regardless we walk away with a good player in a need area. What position? I do not know. Let the board come to us. Maybe a WR, maybe a T, maybe a DE but I think between Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, Wirfs, Becton, Thomas, Matos and Epenesa there’s a reasonable chance we may score one of these players and if they covet someone they can give up a 3rd and go up and get one if they slide to 15-16.

1. Chase Young, DE, OSU

2. CeeDee Lamb, WR, LSU

3. Jerry Jeudy WR, Alabama

4. Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama

5. Jeffery Okudah, CB, OSU

6. Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

7. Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville 

8. Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

8. Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

9. Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, PSU

10. AJ Epenesa, DE, Iowa

11. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

12. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin

13. Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

14. Tyler Biadasz, OL, Wisconsin

15. Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

16. Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

17. Curtis Weaver, DE, BSU

18. Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

19. Prince Tega Wanogho

On 2/27/2020 at 8:37 PM, Franchiseneedsme said:

I want to see the web chart on him..... DK went end of 2nd, and this year is deep. I still think he will be available in the late 2nd. 

Dont let the measurables fool you. I agree second rd or just pass

On 2/27/2020 at 8:58 PM, White Linen said:

What winter would he or any player have to deal with?

Right. When's the last time we had "a buffalo winter "

6 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Right. When's the last time we had "a buffalo winter "

Exactly.  And the players don't experience the winters of my childhood today during the playing season, yet we keep spewing the same drivel and I get the confused emoji's.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, White Linen said:

Exactly.  And the players don't experience the winters of my childhood today during the playing season, yet we keep spewing the same drivel and I get the confused emoji's.  

I'm 35 and I'm actually disappointed... that was our identity. I remember they refused to wear sleeves in the snow during the bowl years as an intimidation tactic. This here is nothing. You are right. Its a non story. It barely gets cold anymore 

1 hour ago, Agent 91 said:

I'm 35 and I'm actually disappointed... that was our identity. I remember they refused to wear sleeves in the snow during the bowl years as an intimidation tactic. This here is nothing. You are right. Its a non story. It barely gets cold anymore 

I'm 45 so you're just a punk kid, haha.  The weather used to be brutal and it was definitely a factor.  

We may be among the best places to play outdoors in the NFL.  It's nearly perfect football weather from camp through December.

Claypool is going to be a workout special who looks better than he will on the field or be one of those great hybrid TE types. His tape does NOT look good for a WR. Not great separation or route running. If someone turns him into Gronk, that is his best hope but he needs 30 more pounds.....5th rounder 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, LSHMEAB said:

We don't need picks. We need STUDS. No interest in trading back.

I agree but most drafts dont have 22 studs in it.  Buffalo needs a significant increase in offensive weapons.  Im not convinced that there is a significant difference in impact from pick. 22 to 50.  If there is than absolutely take him at 22.  If you get to pick up an extra pick in the top 50 I would do it.

17 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Claypool is going to be a workout special who looks better than he will on the field or be one of those great hybrid TE types. His tape does NOT look good for a WR. Not great separation or route running. If someone turns him into Gronk, that is his best hope but he needs 30 more pounds.....5th rounder 

Image result for okay buddy gif

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Locomark said:

Geese, the experts have him going in the first round. I would love to see him in a Bills uni.

8 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Geese, the experts have him going in the first round. I would love to see him in a Bills uni.

Which experts are you referring to? Just at a quick glance, McShay, Jeremiah, and Matt Miller all do not have him in the first round. I don't doubt that there's a mock out there that does, but I haven't seen one yet.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2

Just watched his edited tape from the Louisville game.  From that limited info I see a move TE in the NFL. Potentially a really good one.  Guessing he goes late first to mid second round at the latest.  It’d have been nice to see him play with a QB that wasn’t hot garbage.  It makes him more of a projection since he didn’t have the touches he should have had.  He did get to show off his ability to make a tough catch though.

He’d be a great addition to the Bills and really fill the need at Y.  I love the possibilities with him in jumbo and multi TE packages.  3rd&1 from your own 34?  Better not stack the box because he could get by his S or LB and go 66 up the seam.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:49 PM, Victory Formation said:

I think three QBs go before us, maybe four. It’s not far fetched to think a tackle can fall to us with these guys ahead of us. Regardless we walk away with a good player in a need area. What position? I do not know. Let the board come to us. Maybe a WR, maybe a T, maybe a DE but I think between Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, Wirfs, Becton, Thomas, Matos and Epenesa there’s a reasonable chance we may score one of these players and if they covet someone they can give up a 3rd and go up and get one if they slide to 15-16.

I think definitely before us will be:

3 QBs - Burrow, Tua, one of Herbert and Love

4 OTs - Wirfs, Willis, Becton, Thomas

3 WRs - Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs

2 DTs - Kinlaw, Brown

2 DBs - Okudah, and one of McKinney, Fulton, Henderson

2 DE - Young & Chaisson

1 LB - Simmons

The other 4 spots could be a 4th QB, a 4th receiver, one or two of the other DBs mentioned above, possibly one of Queen or Murray (maybe even both). The Bills are right at the point where the genuine 1st round grades dry up... but if someone reaches for need (thinking those extra QBs, or potentially one of the 2nd tier of OL) then it is possible a first round graded guy is sitting there for us.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Just watched his edited tape from the Louisville game.  From that limited info I see a move TE in the NFL. Potentially a really good one.  Guessing he goes late first to mid second round at the latest.  It’d have been nice to see him play with a QB that wasn’t hot garbage.  It makes him more of a projection since he didn’t have the touches he should have had.  He did get to show off his ability to make a tough catch though.

He’d be a great addition to the Bills and really fill the need at Y.  I love the possibilities with him in jumbo and multi TE packages.  3rd&1 from your own 34?  Better not stack the box because he could get by his S or LB and go 66 up the seam.

He's a WR with flexibility to be moved around due to his size and strength. I've watched him for 4 years at Notre Dame, being the professed homer I am. :thumbsup: In those 4 years I watched him take a step forward every season. As a Freshman he got basically 0 playing time. As a Sophomore he struggled with some drops, but you also saw the big play potential and the outstanding body control. Junior season he started to really emerge as a weapon in the passing game and cleaned up the drops, even though he was 2nd fiddle to Boykin. His Senior year he was the leader of the pack and put up some big numbers even with Book's inconsistencies. A lot of the perceived "he lacks separation" is due to Ian Book and his ball placement at times. Claypool would have his man beat by a full step, which is probably 2 yards easily for him, and Book's pass would cause him to have to adjust. I would literally be screaming at the TV on some plays (usually 4 or 5 a game at least) due to the fact Claypool was wide open and Book either missed him on the throw, took off too early from the pocket without having his eyes down the field, or he just flat out never looked his way for whatever reason. He could have easily had another 400+ yards and 5 TD's this year. People see a big guy and immediately want to flip him to another position. These are his 1-on-1 Senior Bowl reps. There are a couple of sloppy runs, one looking like it was due to him getting tangled up with the DB, but he is a solid route runner for a guy his size, has some quick twitch to him, can get separation, has great hands, and you know he can go up to get the ball over anyone.  Some of the balls thrown his way were pretty crappy as well in the video, especially the ones where he's in the endzone. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

He's a WR with flexibility to be moved around due to his size and strength. I've watched him for 4 years at Notre Dame, being the professed homer I am. :thumbsup: In those 4 years I watched him take a step forward every season. As a Freshman he got basically 0 playing time. As a Sophomore he struggled with some drops, but you also saw the big play potential and the outstanding body control. Junior season he started to really emerge as a weapon in the passing game and cleaned up the drops, even though he was 2nd fiddle to Boykin. His Senior year he was the leader of the pack and put up some big numbers even with Book's inconsistencies. A lot of the perceived "he lacks separation" is due to Ian Book and his ball placement at times. Claypool would have his man beat by a full step, which is probably 2 yards easily for him, and Book's pass would cause him to have to adjust. I would literally be screaming at the TV on some plays (usually 4 or 5 a game at least) due to the fact Claypool was wide open and Book either missed him on the throw, took off too early from the pocket without having his eyes down the field, or he just flat out never looked his way for whatever reason. He could have easily had another 400+ yards and 5 TD's this year. People see a big guy and immediately want to flip him to another position. These are his 1-on-1 Senior Bowl reps. There are a couple of sloppy runs, one looking like it was due to him getting tangled up with the DB, but he is a solid route runner for a guy his size, has some quick twitch to him, can get separation, has great hands, and you know he can go up to get the ball over anyone.  Some of the balls thrown his way were pretty crappy as well in the video, especially the ones where he's in the endzone. 

My view is he is a Jimmy Graham. A guy who is basically a wide receiver who plays down the seam. You can call it a split end or a move end or whatever you want but you are not really asking him to block beyond the odd bit of chipping, and you are not asking him to run those quick hitches or anything that requires those quick changes of direction. You are asking him to run downfield and attack the middle and then be a beast after the catch with his speed and size.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, White Linen said:

I'm 45 so you're just a punk kid, haha.  The weather used to be brutal and it was definitely a factor.  

We may be among the best places to play outdoors in the NFL.  It's nearly perfect football weather from camp through December.

Lol as you get older you start to specify to appreciate that. And be called young man lol.  But yes. I remember watching and I also remember wondering how you could play in it lol