Chase Claypool- I know you want to talk about him

NewEra

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Combine may give a guy some hype but folks still fall back on the tape and what they see on the field. Claypool is clearly a good athlete but that is not the only factor.

As others have said - DK Metcalf after running a 4.33 was instantly going to be a top 10 pick...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-combine-d-k-metcalf-blazes-path-to-top-10-of-draft-and-how-wr-te-qb-workouts-affect-first-round/

It’s not just the 40, it’s the RAS score. Metcalf had a wonky agility drill that showed an issue with changing direction and injury history, which was why the 1st rd seemed high for him regardless of 40 time. Reagor showed a similar lack of agility last night. Doesn’t tell the whole story for either one but shows why neither is a 1st rounder 

Edited by YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s not just the 40, it’s the RAS score. Metcalf had a wonky agility drill that showed an issue with changing direction and injury history, which was why the 1st rd seemed high for him regardless of 40 time. Reagor showed a similar lack of agility last night. Doesn’t tell the whole story for either one but shows why neither is a 1st rounder 

What were Claypool's agility times?

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

So this is where you do it.

6’4 238

32.5 arms

9 7/8 hands

80 wingspan

4.42 40

40.5 vert

126 broad jump

19 bench reps  

Do you want him at 22?

If so, play him all over or mostly at WR or TE?

Which position would be more dominant or have a better chance to make the HoF?

He went from a possible target in rd 2 to if we want him, we have to snag him at 22, if he’s even there.  Did that happen today?  I was really impressed, although his gauntlet still just looked ok

He’d be such a great fit with JA imo.  

As a big Notre Dame fan, I've been watching Claypool each game day for a few years now and I've been super impressed with his growth. He always had the physical tools as the combine has now shown, but his football IQ and technique has improved every year and so has his production despite poor QB play. I've been convinced he could be worth a 1st round (definitely a 2nd at worst) since the start of the 2019 season and I've been talking him up in any draft/WR threads that have come along. He has the perfect blend of size/speed that we need and while I'm not a believer that we desperately need a prototype #1 alpha WR, Claypool ticks that box too.

In addition to all this, he's a great kid with a backstory to root for and he seems like a Process guy. Plus he likes the cold! Get it done, Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

As a big Notre Dame fan, I've been watching Claypool each game day for a few years now and I've been super impressed with his growth. He always had the physical tools as the combine has now shown, but his football IQ and technique has improved every year and so has his production despite poor QB play. I've been convinced he could be worth a 1st round (definitely a 2nd at worst) since the start of the 2019 season and I've been talking him up in any draft/WR threads that have come along. He has the perfect blend of size/speed that we need and while I'm not a believer that we desperately need a prototype #1 alpha WR, Claypool ticks that box too.

In addition to all this, he's a great kid with a backstory to root for and he seems like a Process guy. Plus he likes the cold! Get it done, Go Bills!

If you were McD, where would you play him? Sounds like WR

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

What also hurt DK was the lack of routes on film that showed he had any type of agility, that coupled with poor combine numbers paint a picture that he may have a very low floor, which slid him down the boards

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even still - there was a ton of talk about how DK was now a top 10 pick after the combine. Yes, some still questioned him and found reasons to do so. Think the same happens with Claypool after the combine settles out. 

17 hours ago, White Linen said:

What winter would he or any player have to deal with?

let's see... Winter officially begins on Dec 21st. so... i gonna go out on a limb here and say every single active player in the NFL.

Edited by Foxx

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

If you were McD, where would you play him? Sounds like WR

To be honest, maybe give him snaps at both positions? Maybe an 80-20 split towards WR, but could be a serious mismatch at TE and his run blocking is solid from what I've seen. That type of versatility could really allow us to disguise some things on offense.

I admit I haven't heard of this guy before the last few days.

Can anyone tell me why, other than the obvious of me not being remotely interested in College Football until draft season rolls around?

I'm guessing there was bad QB play at ND that has kept him under the radar?  But even then I feel like there have been years with prospects coming out of the draft without great production but obvious 1st round talent.  Obviously Josh Allen at QB is one of those guys.

So why the lack of 1st round chatter about Claypool?  Does he have issues with drops?  Does he get hurt a lot?Is he a terrible route runner?  Is his play speed significantly slower than his combine speed?

Why?

Just trying to understand because those Combine numbers truly are freakish and his Senior year numbers look decent enough that I feel like he should have been more in the chatter if he just had a bad QB at Notre Dame.

12 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

As a life long Irish fan, Ive watched every game. Claypool was a project guy when brought in from CA. He didn't buy into immediately and was one of Kellys doghouse guys early on. The size and speed was seen immediately in spring camp. He wasnt given significant playing time until junior year where he was still just the number 2 behind Boykin, but still put up decent numbers. This last season he was the true number one and took on that leadership role everyone was waiting all this time for. He got better and better every season and even every game Senior year. I think if he had eligibility to play another season he would put up ridiculous numbers like 1500+yards and 15+TDs. He completely owned in the Camping World Bowl. Hes a guy that is going to benefit from NFL coaching and is going to get even better. 6'4 with a 40" verticle, and this guy catches everything. I said way back he was going to put up great combine numbers and kill our chances of getting later rounds. Will prob have to spend a 2nd on him to get now. Mike Evans with a little more speed and wiggle, sign me up please!

Been banging the table for Claypool for months now. Have said basically the same things time and time again. Called him Mike Evans 2.0 since that time as well. There are 3 guys I want from this draft. Chase Claypool, Kenny Willekes, and AJ Dillon. If I have to pick one it's Claypool well beyond the rest. I'm good with him @ #22. I truly believe he would be a perfect fit for this team and Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I admit I haven't heard of this guy before the last few days.

Can anyone tell me why, other than the obvious of me not being remotely interested in College Football until draft season rolls around?

I'm guessing there was bad QB play at ND that has kept him under the radar?  But even then I feel like there have been years with prospects coming out of the draft without great production but obvious 1st round talent.  Obviously Josh Allen at QB is one of those guys.

So why the lack of 1st round chatter about Claypool?  Does he have issues with drops?  Does he get hurt a lot?Is he a terrible route runner?  Is his play speed significantly slower than his combine speed?

Why?

Just trying to understand because those Combine numbers truly are freakish and his Senior year numbers look decent enough that I feel like he should have been more in the chatter if he just had a bad QB at Notre Dame.

QB play did hinder him a lot at times. Brandon Wimbush was trash and Ian Book, though way better than Wimbush, was wildly inconsistent at times throwing the football or reading a defense. He had a problem with drops his Sophomore year, but not since. He has stayed healthy throughout his college career outside of a couple dings here or there which did not cost him any games. His numbers have progressively gotten better every season. He runs a solid route tree for a guy his size and can shake a DB just fine. This class is so deep at WR, and because of his size combined with his athletic ability, people have had him pegged all over the place while even talking of a position switch to TE. He's definitely a WR and will be a good, if not great, one in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If they can’t get one of the top DE’s at 22 I would be in favour of a trade back..

I normally am not big on trading back, but if the value isn’t there at 22 for the guys on the board I would do it if there is a partner and the return is good. This is just such a good draft, especially offensively, and Beane has been known to package mid round picks to move back up in the 2nd/3rd for guys he wants. I feel like the 2nd round is going to be a goldmine.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I normally am not big on trading back, but if the value isn’t there at 22 for the guys on the board I would do it if there is a partner and the return is good. This is just such a good draft, especially offensively, and Beane has been known to package mid round picks to move back up in the 2nd/3rd for guys he wants. I feel like the 2nd round is going to be a goldmine.

22 is a prime spot for a team that’s looking for that 5th OT.

You can probably net a 3rd from a team like Seattle or Tennessee that is losing their RT in FA and needs a starter to make a SB run.

• Like (+1) 2