The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Not gonna quote anyone on the politics of this... have a sense of both sides... whatever... problem with this is that it spreads easily... more than the flu... there are currently no anti virals to deal with it and those whose have immune or other issues such as cardiac or diabetes are at great risk.  On a personal note, I am a CT tech and work closely with our ER in a hospital... we are short on wipes and masks... also my kids school just closed because a teacher was "exposed so they are cleaning the school" The deal with this is the virus is suspected of surviving on surfaces for a while up to 2 weeks though no one is sure.  We have a nurse and a CT tech out because they treated the lawyer at another hospital in southern Westchester who was infected and a nurse and a respiratory tech out at the part-time pos at a hospital I work at who also worked at the other hospital and treated said lawyer.  I say this to all wash your hands... three caps of bleach per gallon of water is an effective cleaner of surfaces... Soap does best to kill virus on hands... dont fist bump others and stay six feet away from those with a cough.  Cough into your elbow if you need to.... All standard precautions.   Regardless of politicians... this stuff is very contagious and can be be deadly for those who have issue... I am a recent cancer survivor having chemo this past fall and though my blood level immunity seems fine... I am not taking any untoward risks... Commonsense should be used and stay out of large crowds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I agree with you regarding the bolded. Pelosi, Schumer, other dems and the MSM are making it political though by criticizing the administration's effort. Trump and his team appear to have been on top of this as soon as it became apparent there was a problem. The dems think they can turn this into Trump's Katrina and are almost gleefully exploiting that. 

Stop bringing your stupid attacking politic BS into this... the guy tells us something close to him and this is your ***** response.

Edited by Hardhatharry

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Horseshit. Trump has been on this since at least January with shutting down our borders and putting a response team together. You're still on your "hoax" bs even though you know that it never was true. Now, if we get it under control it will be because of the states but if we have problems it will be because of Trump. 

If Trump had been on the case since at least January, surely we would have had more than a few thousand working testing kits by now, the middle of March?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The dems think they can turn this into Trump's Katrina and are almost gleefully exploiting that. 

Cuomo played the Katrina card today. That he waited to this point is the only thing surprising.

Comparing this to the 1917 influenza and medieval Black Plague are forthcoming soon from the Left.

This is an unprecedented serious crisis, no doubt. But the Dems and Trump haters, as this goes on, will look at this more and more as political opportunity, first and foremost, with their eye solely on November.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

If Trump had been on the case since at least January, surely we would have had more than a few thousand working testing kits by now, the middle of March?

A few thousand test kits? You badly need an update to your information.

4 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Stop bringing your stupid attacking politic BS into this... the guy tells us something close to him and this is your ***** response.

He mentioned the politics of the issue and the politics have been all on the left, Baskin.

1 minute ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

According to the data covid spread in USA is behind Italy of 9-10 days.

Technincally you can still save your country but you should start taking counter measures right NOW.

People too busy crying that people are attacking Trump over not doing anything. So they are trying to turn it into a political campaign. It's sad b/c the virus doesnt care if you are republican or democrat but these ***** idiots wont stop.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

He mentioned the politics of the issue and the politics have been all on the left, Baskin.

Wrong

Just now, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Democrats and republicans should be unite against this thing, in Italy the populist right wing tried to exploit the situation against the government, worsening the thing even more.

By reading this forum, it's like reading Italian debate ten days ago, it can be the plot for a movie.

Republicans and dems will never work together b/c trump has basically turned them into a childish fight. The gov't in America is horrible right now, nothing but people blaming each other for things instead of doing something about it. Sickening but people like 3rdnlng and many others fell prey to it and are hooked by it now. Even when someone shares something close they find a way to spin it into one party vs the other....

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

There was a problem with the test kits from CDC. Not blaming anyone just wished they worked. I think they got workable ones now. (not for sure)

Supposedly about 4 million with more on the way. Reports I've heard is that there were enough available from the start that nobody that needed the test was denied. Shitlikethis is what happens when people want to politicize things when politics are the last thing that should enter into the situation. 

6 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Wrong

Republicans and dems will never work together b/c trump has basically turned them into a childish fight. The gov't in America is horrible right now, nothing but people blaming each other for things instead of doing something about it. Sickening but people like 3rdnlng and many others fell prey to it and are hooked by it now. Even when someone shares something close they find a way to spin it into one party vs the other....

Baskin, your time away has made you even more of an idiot. 

• Like (+1) 3

350 million people, if 70% get it thats 250 M. If 85% of the cases are mild that still leaves 35 M. If the death rate is 1% that is 350, 000 Dead. Lots of bodies, especially when you consider the normal flu kills 20-50,000. Even if only 30% get it still over 100,000. If the death rate is 3.4% like WHO says that's over a million. I hope everything tends to be hyperbole by the media. I'm no so sure that this isn't pretty damn serious.

Supposedly about 4 million with more on the way. Reports I've heard is that there were enough available from the start that nobody that needed the test was denied. Shitlikethis is what happens when people want to politicize things when politics are the last thing that should enter into the situation. 

Baskin, your time away has made you even more of an idiot. 

says the dumb ***** calling me baskin, keep up your ######ed agenda in the Bills forums where it will go nowhere thankfully.

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

350 million people, if 70% get it thats 250 M. If 85% of the cases are mild that still leaves 35 M. If the death rate is 1% that is 350, 000 Dead. Lots of bodies, especially when you consider the normal flu kills 20-50,000. Even if only 30% get it still over 100,000. If the death rate is 3.4% like WHO says that's over a million. I hope everything tends to be hyperbole by the media. I'm no so sure that this isn't pretty damn serious.

And that would be starting from a single patient, unlike Flu which has a global dominance already and does not need for hosts to travel from one country to another.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

says the dumb ***** calling me baskin, keep up your ######ed agenda in the Bills forums where it will go nowhere thankfully.

And that would be starting from a single patient, unlike Flu which has a global dominance already and does not need for hosts to travel from one country to another.

Yeah and if its hyperbole from the media its coming from intelligent people,scientist etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Today in Italy the person in charge of the civil protection gave the numbers of the covid death.

827 deaths, 78% are people with bad pre exixtent conditions, in Italy we say, they died WITH the coronavirus.

The remaining are the deaths FOR the coronavirus, the index of letality adjusted according to this consideration is 1.46% and it is compliant with the rest of the world.

I want to remark this because I saw your posts about the high mortality of the disease in Italy.

We count every death, there are no reserved information (I hope), but I want to remark this important difference.

And I repeat, the problem is not the letality, it is the HUGE number of people that require special cares in hospitals.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Well, you've already stated that you've been here before but with a different name. I figured you had to be Baskin since I didn't think anyone else could be as dumb as him. God forbid you're not Baskin. If that's the case the world is a lot dumber than I thought. 

8 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

If a lot of people get the disease there is no structure that can treat them.

5%, 10% of people affected requires "intensive therapy", if the disease will spread 10% of the affected people will die.

This happened in Wuhan when the disease begin to spread.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Today in Italy the person in charge of the civil protection gave the numbers of the covid death.

827 deaths, 78% are people with bad pre exixtent conditions, in Italy we say, they died WITH the coronavirus.

The remaining are the deaths FOR the coronavirus, the index of letality adjusted according to this consideration is 1.46% and it is compliant with the rest of the world.

I want to remark this because I saw your posts about the high mortality of the disease in Italy.

We count every death, there are no reserved information (I hope), but I want to remark this important difference.

And I repeat, the problem is not the letality, it is the HUGE number of people that require special cares in hospitals.

TBH it is about the amount of money that is going to be needed to treat all these people. We already screwed things up by not taking precautions. I am just worried about how much money it will cost b/c of being so slow to actually do anything. Could have taken this more seriously and saved a bunch of money that in the end will come out of the tax payers pockets b/c of this.

Edited by Hardhatharry

4 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

That, and the fact that if large numbers of people get sick at the same time, medical facilities are overwhelmed.  If you can bend the infection curve down so that not everyone gets sick at the same time, then the mortality rate goes down. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well, you've already stated that you've been here before but with a different name. I figured you had to be Baskin since I didn't think anyone else could be as dumb as him. God forbid you're not Baskin. If that's the case the world is a lot dumber than I thought. 

See you cannot even talk about this with reason, you get flustered and then call people dumb. That is why everyone keeps saying put you on ignore i guess.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hardhatharry said:

TBH it is about the amount of money that is going to be needed to treat all these people. We already screwed things up by not taking precautions. I am just worriued about how much money it will cost b/c of being so slow to actually do anything.

Our national sanitary system is in good shape BUT we don't have the economic power to do things like China made, like building hospitals in two weeks.

This is the reason why Italy is "locked up".

The Lombardia region is very close to the collapse.

I will live in my home for the next month, I will work at home, I will go out only to buy food.

I am thinking about go running at sunrise, not too meet people.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Horseshit. Trump has been on this since at least January with shutting down our borders and putting a response team together. You're still on your "hoax" bs even though you know that it never was true. Now, if we get it under control it will be because of the states but if we have problems it will be because of Trump. 

Please post the link of DTs comprehensive health care plan and financial  response to CV.....Please post a link of DT’s explanation of what we can expect in terms of virus spread, implications, mitigations and worst case and best case scenarios.

Maybe B man can help

41 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Wrong

you really truly are an idiot. 

stop injecting politics into this, the virus doesn't care which way you lean!!!!!

meh, neither will ever work together because #orangemanbad!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

you might try thinking about what you post before you hit the submit button, idiot.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Do you curtail your parents activities due to the flu? Do you stop them from driving? Do you stop them from walking? That may come off as flip, but I am asking it seriously. You work in the ER so you see horrible things every single day. Does that stop you from living your life knowing that an accident, an illness, a random well ... anything, could incapacitate you or bring about your death? In other words, do you live in fear? Or do you live your life? (And no, I ain't bookin' a trip to Wuhan China tomorrow, but I will tell you that my son is already thinking about an Italian vacation when things settle down in Italy.)

We have had hair-on-fire end-of-the-world media driven apocalypses for many years now. This one is another in a long line. Swine flu, Ebola, Legionnaires disease, bird flu (and about 100 more)... all were going to lead to the destruction of the world.  Heck, this one may yet and people will be dancing on graves that they were correct. As for myself? It ain't livin' if I am hidin'.

To be clear, I am not a physician and do not work in the ER.  I do cardiovascular research, 2 of the investigators in our group are ER docs.

No, I do not curtail my parents activities due to the flu, but I am now as this is different. This is not the flu virus where worst case you're looking at an extreme immune reaction with pneumonia and sepsis.  Covid-19 in the lungs will directly attack and possibly permanently damage your lung tissue.  If you survive, it will be a most painful experience.

I think a very important thing to mention is while you quote similarities to flu statistics, Covid-19 is just ramping up and is most likely more infectious than the flu.  So statistical comparisons at this point are truly not valid.

Covid-19 will undoubtedly be more infectious than the flu and probably more lethal also.  But we won't know until it's all said and done.

I understand where you're coming from with all the previous viruses, and they have helped prepare us for this one.  Isolation and quarantine was what stamped out all those others, especially SARS.

The most important problem here is that infected people can be asymptomatic and still spread it.  That is a big problem and why for the first time large events are being cancelled and people like Nunes are self-quarantining.

We have a novel virus with currently little way of fighting those with severe infections.  It's not about an apocalypse it's about limiting or slowing its spread to keep deaths to a minimum while medical science addresses the problem.  

Hiding?  I'll be steelhead fishing, hiking, running, working, doing as much as I can while limiting exposure to others.  But if I need to "hide" for two to three weeks to squash the spread of this virus?  Damn right I will and I pray you see the sense in that also.  It's the intelligent way to be in this case.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Think of this as me who constantly tells you to ***** yourself asking you to join me in unity and multiply it by every media member/organization he has shat upon.

It's going to take more than a ***** tweet

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

you really truly are an idiot. 

stop injecting politics into this, the virus doesn't care which way you lean!!!!!

meh, neither will ever work together because #orangemanbad!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

you might try thinking about what you post before you hit the submit button, idiot.

This guy is getting just as bad but his go to word when he gets flustered is "idiot"

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Lol that is funny. Welcome to what should have been done a few weeks ago lol

Edited by Hardhatharry

11 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

This guy is getting just as bad but his go to word when he gets flustered is "idiot" ...

again, you got absolutely nothing. i catch you red handed, call you out and your defense is... this? absolutely nothing in defense, nothing.

Edited by Foxx

14 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Think of this as me who constantly tells you to ***** yourself asking you to join me in unity and multiply it by every media member/organization he has shat upon.

The media has earned being crapped upon and not just since Trump. 

• Like (+1) 5

29 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Please post the link of DTs comprehensive health care plan and financial  response to CV.....Please post a link of DT’s explanation of what we can expect in terms of virus spread, implications, mitigations and worst case and best case scenarios.

Maybe B man can help

Don't ask others to do your research Popgun.  Your TDS is showing.  

17 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

I mean, Gary, go ***** yourself.  Just pass the sanitizer on your way.  Hahaha.  

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

again, you got absolutely nothing. i catch you red handed, call you out and your defense is... this? absolutely nothing in defense, nothing.

You never responded when talking about the virus and just called people an idiot so red handed in what?  You are the one who just ends up calling people idiot like the guy who calls people dumb when you have nothing left to say... you agenda driven people are just out of hand.

Edited by Hardhatharry

From the start of the news of the coronavirus the Left has been criticizing Trump and his administration's response. At first he was being draconian by closing our borders to people from countries where the virus was widespread. Then when he appointed Pence to head up the response team he was criticized for not picking a medical person. After that it was just a litany of criticism about everything to do with fighting this virus. Trump calls the criticism a hoax and the dems and media claim over and over that Trump called the virus a hoax. Those of you that are saying Trump is being political about this are fullofshit. It never fails. Lefties always accuse the right of doing exactly what they themselves are doing. FU to those of you who are just here to spread your leftistvirus. 

• Like (+1) 3