njbuff

Do you think the Bills are going to make a big run at Clowney?

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Given Seattle just gave up assets to get him and the lip service they are all giving on him wanting to be back and them wanting him back he should stay there. 
I expect Beane to explore all options. But I don’t expect him to be highest bidder on the highest contracts given this year. 
I will leave my opinions on clowney out of this but from a business standpoint he’s a terrible investment on a big contract. 
We have money to spend but there’s no reason to dump it into bad contracts. 
They could sign 3 good players for the price of clowney. 
The debate is we need impact playmakers, clowney is an impact player, but only for 4-5 games a year if you’re lucky. 
Not everyone agrees but I think there’s much better production in the lawson/Murphy combo over clowney 

Uh No!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So where is the 90M in space being spent?

I suspect there will be decent amounts being allocated to the likes of Lawson and Poyer, with decisions to be made on getting Milano done also. Tbh, I can't remember all of the guys who we might want to retain, but it will be just about anyone on the D. How many we do, and can, is another matter. There are also guys like Spain, who apparently wants to return. Might not be dirt cheap, but might not be very expensive either.

Not sure about Waddle, but there might be interest again there, as I think he was only on a 1 year deal.

While the above will not kill the cap space, it will eat into it quite well. That's not to say they won't be capable of adding someone like a Clowney, but it isn't the sort of move I'd expect, mainly because I think they want to have enough space to be paying the likes of White next year, while also looking at possibly adding another solid WR from FA, which again, might not be excessively expensive, but could easily chew up another decent chunk of room.

Clowney appears to be an obvious 'fit', yet there will be other guys who can make significant contributions who aren't going to be the most expensive 'fit' going.

Another aspect of it is that will Clowney be interested in coming to the Bills, as he will have enough suitors to be choosy. I think Beane will not waste time chasing him, if he doesn't show genuine interest in coming here.

I would prefer Clowney on a two year deal at 20 million a year than 4 at 15 a year. It keeps him hungry and gives him one more chance at a big contract. Though I bet he prefers the 6 year 80 million with 50 guaranteed.

I think they go hard after Ngakoue and Judon.  Clowney likely remains in Seattle.

• Like (+1) 1

They're not looking for yesterday's stud. They want to find tomorrow's stud.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So where is the 90M in space being spent?

It won’t be spent

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...care to offer up some facts with that statement first?....hardly fits the McBeane modis operendi............

Just do some snooping, you will find what you are looking for.

I hope that the Bills make a run at a top tier DE.  I’m not sure if they will - or if they’ll be successful - but it’d be the smart move if one is available (not are-signed or tagged). 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...care to offer up some facts with that statement first?....hardly fits the McBeane modis operendi............

It was reported that they were one of the teams that inquired. But he held all the cards on where he went because he had to sign his franchise tag before he could be traded. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Just about everything here is wrong.

They are a team with an inside track if anything—Gaine is the Houston GM that pushed for a Clowney extension and got fired over it.

Yes, they have holes to fill on offense. Do both. They have a TON of cap space.

How many games has he actually missed in the last 4 years?

Always with a good take on these types of circumstances. The part about Gaines getting fired, is that you contacting dots or has there been some reporting on that? I like your take on FA and draft. 

Beane will know what’s what with Clowney, if he is available and they want to offer him a deal, I’m cool with it.  Beane and McDermott deserve the benefit of the doubt when it come to the defensive side of the ball. Can anyone Name me one bad signing they have made on defense? 

If “big run” means big money, no.

If fair money then yes/maybe.

gonna be lots of disappointment at the end of free agency on this board, like every year, it’s like many are not paying any attention to how our FO does business.... me, I think I will be pleasantly surprised by the start of the season, but I’m the layed back sort, you know, sipping Pinot Grigio nibbling on dark chocolate, down in the Islands 🌴🏖🐠🇧🇸 👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Uh No!

Well the last couple seasons they have been better together in the rotation than clowney on his own. Why pay 100 million for less production than you are already getting? 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Given Seattle just gave up assets to get him and the lip service they are all giving on him wanting to be back and them wanting him back he should stay there. 
I expect Beane to explore all options. But I don’t expect him to be highest bidder on the highest contracts given this year. 
I will leave my opinions on clowney out of this but from a business standpoint he’s a terrible investment on a big contract. 
We have money to spend but there’s no reason to dump it into bad contracts. 
They could sign 3 good players for the price of clowney. 
The debate is we need impact playmakers, clowney is an impact player, but only for 4-5 games a year if you’re lucky. 
Not everyone agrees but I think there’s much better production in the lawson/Murphy combo over clowney 

Seattle gave up a 3rd round pick and mostly filler for Clowney, who if they let him walk and sign with another team will get a comp 3rd round pick back in 2021. So the cost for Clowney for Seattle is more in line with a rental player. They might resign him but I wouldn't be shocked if they let him test the market and take the comp pick. 

Personally I don't want to sign Clowney. I would rather target Yannick out of Jacksonville who is a bit younger and I feel like would fit better with the culture and defense. The cost cap wise would be the same but I think he is the one piece this team could add at significant expense that would fit the team's timeline and not cap them out going forward. I think that the defensive line needs an elite pass rusher. I think even if you brought back Lawson (who I would like to bring back and still sign Yannick) the pass rush is not consistent enough to be a factor against better O-lines with regularity. I think they need to bring back Lawson to keep the strength in numbers thing the D-line has and bring in a prime edge rusher like Yannick to take the defense over the top. 

I think the front office can't be too consumed with the future when considering what to do in free agency. If they cut Murphy and Kroft they have 101 million in cap space roughly speaking. They have enough money to resign 2-3 of their primary free agents (Spain, Phillips and Lawson) and make a move to get a big free agent like Yannick (And still have some space to add another mid-level contract and some depth pieces) and still roll over 20-30 million to help ease the burden on extensions that might hit in 2021. 

The window to win in the NFL is not always there long term. The Bills have a real chance to win in 2020 and they have to consider making a big move and spending on the team now. You don't have to be irresponsible but you can't be too cautious. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Well the last couple seasons they have been better together in the rotation than clowney on his own. Why pay 100 million for less production than you are already getting? 

2 JAGs don't make a Clowney

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Seattle gave up a 3rd round pick and mostly filler for Clowney, who if they let him walk and sign with another team will get a comp 3rd round pick back in 2021. So the cost for Clowney for Seattle is more in line with a rental player. They might resign him but I wouldn't be shocked if they let him test the market and take the comp pick. 

Personally I don't want to sign Clowney. I would rather target Yannick out of Jacksonville who is a bit younger and I feel like would fit better with the culture and defense. The cost cap wise would be the same but I think he is the one piece this team could add at significant expense that would fit the team's timeline and not cap them out going forward. I think that the defensive line needs an elite pass rusher. I think even if you brought back Lawson (who I would like to bring back and still sign Yannick) the pass rush is not consistent enough to be a factor against better O-lines with regularity. I think they need to bring back Lawson to keep the strength in numbers thing the D-line has and bring in a prime edge rusher like Yannick to take the defense over the top. 

I think the front office can't be too consumed with the future when considering what to do in free agency. If they cut Murphy and Kroft they have 101 million in cap space roughly speaking. They have enough money to resign 2-3 of their primary free agents (Spain, Phillips and Lawson) and make a move to get a big free agent like Yannick (And still have some space to add another mid-level contract and some depth pieces) and still roll over 20-30 million to help ease the burden on extensions that might hit in 2021. 

The window to win in the NFL is not always there long term. The Bills have a real chance to win in 2020 and they have to consider making a big move and spending on the team now. You don't have to be irresponsible but you can't be too cautious. 

I’m not expecting them to be frugal with the money. They can pay for production that’s no issue. I would be ok with keeping Lawson as our big rotation player for both end spots and signing Yannick. I’m not a big fan of Yannick but having him, Lawson and Hughes should definitely provide a nice pass rush. 

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

If “big run” means big money, no.

If fair money then yes/maybe.

gonna be lots of disappointment at the end of free agency on this board, like every year, it’s like many are not paying any attention to how our FO does business.... me, I think I will be pleasantly surprised by the start of the season, but I’m the layed back sort, you know, sipping Pinot Grigio nibbling on dark chocolate, down in the Islands 🌴🏖🐠🇧🇸 👍

Go Bills!!!

Last off-season a lot of people really liked the free agency moves. Mitch was the best center on the market, Brown and Beasley were quality competent receivers brought in at a good price, Ty was considered a sleeper signing and Spain was considered a steal at his cost. Overall I loved what they did even if I did hate the Kroft signing. I would be ecstatic if they did another smart off-season with 1 upper level signing (similar to Mitch 10 million aav or more) then 2-3 mid-level signings (7-9 million aav.) I think most here would be happy. 

I more advocate signing Yannick and maybe another mid-level starter contract type player because I think the pieces this team is missing is more of an elite level game changers at WR and Edge. Finding an elite player at one of those positions in free agency is more than likely going to cost big money. I think it is still prudent to go after a big fish, resign your own talent and maybe make a few more minor signings. But I would be more than fine if they repeated last off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

No. Not at all. And I dont think Clowney would come to Buffalo even if we were able to outbid the Seahawks.

27 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Always with a good take on these types of circumstances. The part about Gaines getting fired, is that you contacting dots or has there been some reporting on that? I like your take on FA and draft. 

Beane will know what’s what with Clowney, if he is available and they want to offer him a deal, I’m cool with it.  Beane and McDermott deserve the benefit of the doubt when it come to the defensive side of the ball. Can anyone Name me one bad signing they have made on defense? 

Appreciate the sentiment for sure.

The Gaine-O’Brien power struggle was at least partially related to Clowney. I believe Gaine has a good relationship with him.

• Thanks! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills were in on trading for him, but fell short.

Now that he might be free (if Seattle doesn't franchise him)..........

Will the Bills make another strong push for him?

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Remember guys, they did try and trade for him.

The Bills started talks to trade for him, and then Clowney delivered a short list of teams who he would consider signing long term with. And the Bills dropped out.

Tells me the Bills werent on that list, and that is the end of all Clowney talk.

• Like (+1) 1

no, 

I am under the impression we will not be swimming in the deep end of the FA pool this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

2 JAGs don't make a Clowney

Well I shall agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s a very good player. If you do more power to you. Not my place to judge others opinions. I still stand by my statement that you get better production from Murphy and Lawson than you would from clowney. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Well I shall agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s a very good player. If you do more power to you. Not my place to judge others opinions. I still stand by my statement that you get better production from Murphy and Lawson than you would from clowney. 

Yep, id rather see them spend the money on JPhillips, Shaq, and Yannick.

No one has more penalties over the last 4 seasons than J Clowney. He has exponentially more than Jerry Hughes and it seems like Hughes has too many.

• Like (+1) 1